Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Parsons or Gillies?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Parsons or Gillies?

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    FWIW, the Flames are higher on Parsons than Gilles and they have implied that frequently in words and in actions publicly.
    Got any quotes you want to share to back up this statement?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    They haven't come out in the media and said "we think Parsons is better than Gilles". The guys that work closely with the team and talk to management are consensus that Parsons is untouchable, and that if one goalie gets traded it's probably Gilles. They way they talk about Parsons vs. the way they talk about Gilles in a general sense is also much different. So no, I don't have a direct quote. You'll just have to start listening to Calgary radio, or talk my word on something I have no reason to lie about.

I don't know which will end up better. I do know if you want to take one you basically have to take both.

Dobber Sports All-Star

The truth is that regardless of who is the more talented goalie projected, Gillies will get first crack at being a starter between the two of them. If he plays well and the team is winning while he's the starter, it's going to be tough prying the net from his dead hands regardless of who's lurking down the pipeline. Essentially in 2 years, I do believe the starting job is Gillies to lose and it's entirely up to him to force the Flame's hand.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by PPQB View Post
    Who would you draft this year in a keeper league? Or just stay away and let someone else worry?
    I prefer Parsons. He looks like the real deal. Gillies maybe NHL ready sooner but as I back up. Parsons should follow soon after and take over the starting job IMO

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    They haven't come out in the media and said "we think Parsons is better than Gilles". The guys that work closely with the team and talk to management are consensus that Parsons is untouchable, and that if one goalie gets traded it's probably Gilles. They way they talk about Parsons vs. the way they talk about Gilles in a general sense is also much different. So no, I don't have a direct quote. You'll just have to start listening to Calgary radio, or talk my word on something I have no reason to lie about.

I don't know which will end up better. I do know if you want to take one you basically have to take both.
    I listen to The Fan 960 daily and this is spot on analysis. Take the man's word on this one.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Deity

If its just reporters spitballing, I take any of it with a grain of salt. Get Brian Burke or Treliving on there saying it and I'll start buying the words. Radio announcers are simply spewing opinions like we do.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

If its just reporters spitballing, I take any of it with a grain of salt. Get Brian Burke or Treliving on there saying it and I'll start buying the words. Radio announcers are simply spewing opinions like we do.
    There's a difference between "I think...." and "When you talk to people...."

But hey. It's a data point. If you don't want to use it, that's to your detriment. Doesn't really affect me.

Dobber Sports Deity

But its still just an opinion, like yours or mine.

Dobber Sports Deity

But its still just an opinion, like yours or mine. You guys are talking like its factual just because its coming from a Calgary radio station.

But its still just an opinion, like yours or mine. You guys are talking like its factual just because its coming from a Calgary radio station.
    Again, no. Listen or don't listen. It's off the record conversations that are alluded to.

I don't care what you do with the information, but the information is different from what you're trying to present it as.

Dobber Sports Pro

I gotta back up rataylor here everything I've heard is that T.Parsons is the guy they cherish.
    This is without hearing anything the Fan 960 has said, but from my very limited sources among junior hockey people, who aren't giving their opinions on the matter, but are sharing what they've heard. Hockey people gossip more then teenage girls.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

The Great One

Just like Bernier was the guy they cherish in LA.

I've seen this story many times before.

Whoever gets the chance to be the guy (and run with it) will be the guy they cherish.

And if anyone tells you it's player "x"......well, have them play the lottery for you too.

Personally I like Parsons better, but Gillies could easily be 'the guy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Just like Bernier was the guy they cherish in LA.

I've seen this story many times before.

Whoever gets the chance to be the guy (and run with it) will be the guy they cherish.

And if anyone tells you it's player "x"......well, have them play the lottery for you too.

Personally I like Parsons better, but Gillies could easily be 'the guy'.
    Gillies could also easily be not in the Flames system by trade deadline 2018. Parsons certainly will be.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would probably want Gillies over Parsons only because he's closer to get a shot to show his stuff. If he can get it and keep it, Parsons will be on the outside looking in for Calgary. There are too few opportunities for these young goalies to snag a spot in the show. If Gillies can stay healthy, he will get that chance first and thats good enough for me. Goalie prospects are crap shoots so I'll go with the kid who will get the first crack. He may fail and Parsons may not but at this stage in their careers, that's just too far away for my liking on Parsons.

It's not like Gillies isn't a highly regarded goalie prospect himself.
    I agree 100% . I had a chat with a scout from the Calgary organisation last month and Gillies is very much on this inside track !
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Jedi

Rataylor is only saying that the team by reported accounts is HIGHER on Parson's. He's not saying one is better than the other or will be, in fact he qualified himself by saying specifically that Gillies could just as easily become the better goalie.

Looking at the Quick-Bernier example. Bernier was higher touted in the system. The problem was Quick got the break first and played so damn well that Bernier was never given an opportunity to win the job from him. Same thing could happen in Calgary, or Parson's development could stall, Gillies could become a bag of holes at the NHL level and they go out and sign Bernier as a back up.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4