Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Parsons or Gillies?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Parsons or Gillies?

Who would you draft this year in a keeper league? Or just stay away and let someone else worry?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Parsons or Gillies?

Parsons is possibly a higher upside goalie but that is just starting in the AHL, whereas Gillies is maybe 1-2 years away from replacing Bishop (or maybe even sooner if Bishop goes down with injury).

Perhaps not dissimilar to a Hellebuyck-Comrie debate, actually.

If it's just for stashing prospects, I'd go with Parsons.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Poutine View Post
    Parsons is possibly a higher upside goalie but that is just starting in the AHL, whereas Gillies is maybe 1-2 years away from replacing Bishop (or maybe even sooner if Bishop goes down with injury).

Perhaps not dissimilar to a Hellebuyck-Comrie debate, actually.

If it's just for stashing prospects, I'd go with Parsons.
    Parsons is a prospect in the Calgary system. Last I checked, Bishop signed with Dallas. Am a little confused....

I think OP was asking readers to compare between Calgary's two main goaltending prospects....
    Hanson Bros Fantasy Hockey League
    12 Team Roto (25 player roster w/10 player farm), Goals, Assists, Pts, PPP, BS, Hits, PIM, GAA, Wins, SV%
    Yahoo Pool - 82 GP per spot. Full Keeper
    Reigning Champion - 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18
    F- MacKinnon, Kucherov, Schwartz, Boeser, Pastrnak, E.Kane, Rackell, Dvorak, Lee, Borgstrom, Connor, Johnsson
    D- Karlsson, Ristolainen, Hedman, Edler, Zadorov,
    G- Murray, Kinkaid
    Bench- Greenway, Saros, Jarry, Montour
    Farm: Gaudette, Patrick, Makar, Tolvanen, Hague, Kostin, Shesterkin, Sparks, Stuart Skinner, Colton Point

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Artamus View Post
    Parsons is a prospect in the Calgary system. Last I checked, Bishop signed with Dallas. Am a little confused....

I think OP was asking readers to compare between Calgary's two main goaltending prospects....
    Yep, you're right. Sorry for the brain fart. I was mixing up Mike Smith and Ben Bishop. That'll teach me to post comments before I've had my morning coffee.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

Though Poutine mixed up names I agree with the general point. Gillies is closer to a spot, but Parsons has the higher upside.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Though Poutine mixed up names I agree with the general point. Gillies is closer to a spot, but Parsons has the higher upside.
    Redemption!

Dobber Sports Deity

I would probably want Gillies over Parsons only because he's closer to get a shot to show his stuff. If he can get it and keep it, Parsons will be on the outside looking in for Calgary. There are too few opportunities for these young goalies to snag a spot in the show. If Gillies can stay healthy, he will get that chance first and thats good enough for me. Goalie prospects are crap shoots so I'll go with the kid who will get the first crack. He may fail and Parsons may not but at this stage in their careers, that's just too far away for my liking on Parsons.

It's not like Gillies isn't a highly regarded goalie prospect himself.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

It would be easier to give advice with more context. For example if you have a start 1G league and Brayden Holtby on your team, I'd go highest upside. Goalies are a crapshoot and we have no context on the OP's situation. But with the very limited info, I'd choose Gillies just because he's closer to the show.

Dobber Sports Sage

FWIW: either way, I take Parsons. His upside cannot be ignored. He's right there with Samsonov and Demko.

But it also depends on your situation. If you have a stud or two already on your (pro) roster - go with Parsons and wait 2-3 years for him to make a name for himself in the NHL.

If you're desperate for more immediate help - take Gillies... he should get some cups of coffee in the next year or two (if not a small taste this year) but will eventually be replaced by Parsons (if one of them isn't traded before that time comes).
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Giant

I like Gillies here. He's been their guy for years and now with Smith in the crease, they can ease him in gradually over the next few seasons.

Parsons is still too raw to determine how he will pan out in the pros IMO.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Monster

Haven't done a tonne of research on goalie prospects but I always thought Gillies was the better prospect.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As usual, goalies are voodoo, but I like Parsons way more. I don't think Gillies is going to pan out.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd rather Gillies. I think he will get the first shot at winning the crease and wont look back.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm staying away from this situation!! Thanks for the replies

Gillies will get first shot and brought along slowly wothSmith there so I think he wins it but Parsons looks like he has a ton of skill. I'll worry about it in 2 years

Dobber Sports Grand Master

FWIW, the Flames are higher on Parsons than Gilles and they have implied that frequently in words and in actions publicly.