Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Rumour] Phaneuf being shopped

The Great One

Default Re: [Rumour] Phaneuf being shopped

Quote Originally Posted by blackaces View Post
    Dorion said he had offers for Phaneuf pre-expansion draft but decided to keep him.

So now days later he's on the block? Something strange here. If I was Phaneuf I wouldn't want to stay.
    Offers are one thing. Legit offers is something else entirely. I'm sure a lot of teams would take Phaneuf if Ottawa ate 50 percent of his salary.

Dobber Sports Monster

My theory is they didn't know what offers they might get for Phaneuf until they put him out there. When they heard the offers, they then realised it was beneficial for them to move him. I think when you have a guy with a partial NTC you probably don't hear many offers on that player, so they probably just didn't know what they could get for him.

Karlsson and Ceci and not a ton of proven guys after that would be rough, but they probably have targets in free agency. And I guess they have Chabot coming up soon, and maybe they were impressed by Claesson enough. They must just realise that if someone is offering them something surprisingly good for Phaneuf and they can get rid of that salary then it might help them.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Karlsson and Ceci and not a ton of proven guys after that would be rough, but they probably have targets in free agency. And I guess they have Chabot coming up soon, and maybe they were impressed by Claesson enough. They must just realise that if someone is offering them something surprisingly good for Phaneuf and they can get rid of that salary then it might help them.
    The question is whether those free agent targets also target Ottawa. Trading Phaneuf and then hoping to sign someone to replace him is a dangerous game with the lack of depth the Sens have. They would be better making sure those guys are signed first, and then flipping Phaneuf.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid