Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Rumour] Phaneuf being shopped

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default [Rumour] Phaneuf being shopped

McKenzie- Whether anything happens at the draft regarding Phaneuf remains to be seen but it's clear if OTT can move him and his contract, they will.
    Sens' GM Pierre Dorion has had multiple conversations on draft floor with Phaneuf's reps but at this point nothing has materialized.

Any speculation as to why?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: [Rumour] Phaneuf being shopped

Quote Originally Posted by blackaces View Post
    McKenzie- Whether anything happens at the draft regarding Phaneuf remains to be seen but it's clear if OTT can move him and his contract, they will.
    Sens' GM Pierre Dorion has had multiple conversations on draft floor with Phaneuf's reps but at this point nothing has materialized.

Any speculation as to why?
    Everyone in that locker room will know they lost their long term friend and teammate Methot because of Phaneuf.

I will be very surprised if he's still a Senator by the time the season starts.

I don't think that's fair. How many of those guys would have done the same thing. I say this is on management not Phaneuf.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by blackaces View Post
    I don't think that's fair. How many of those guys would have done the same thing. I say this is on management not Phaneuf.
    Of course it's on management for trading for Phaneuf, it was a bad trade then and now.

I'm not blaming for Phaneuf but he's still the reason why they lost Methot. Makes no sense for the Sens to move another D unless they feel moving Phaneuf is addition by subtraction, just as the Leafs already learned.

Yes Methot & Phaneuf...two of your top 4 gone. Will put a lot of pressure on Chabot unless they can bring in a vet.

Dobber Sports Genius

EK has lost his partner of 5 years and i'm sure he is not impressed with management. Perhaps they are just trying to right a wrong and keep peace in the room.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Deity

I had to check the date on this thread. How many rumour threads for Phaneuf does this make now?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm sure they're shopping him, and probably have been for months. Problem is, how many teams do they realistically have the possibility of dealing with?

I forget the exact terms of the Dion's no trade clause, but let's say he has to submit a list of 12 teams he'd be willing to go to. It probably doesn't take much work IR creativity to get up to 7 or 8 teams that are nonstarters for one reason or another (available cap space, history, etc).

I mean, couldn't his list of OK teams include, for example, the Leafs, Flames, Ducks, Kings, Pens, Preds, Oilers, etc ... None of whom would have any remote interest/ability to take on that contract. Designating those teams as OK effectively acts as another means of blocking a trade.

Probably leaves a list of like 3 or 4 teams (maybe less) that are even viable for the Sens to deal with. Oy. Tough situation.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

The Great One

Personally I don't think a Phaneuf deal happens now - he is serviceable in the top 4 and played some pp1. Reason he was asked to waive was so that they could keep Methot so now he is gone I don't see the Sens weakening their D further (because let's be fair if they did trade him they aren't getting a rich return)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Personally I don't think a Phaneuf deal happens now - he is serviceable in the top 4 and played some pp1. Reason he was asked to waive was so that they could keep Methot so now he is gone I don't see the Sens weakening their D further (because let's be fair if they did trade him they aren't getting a rich return)
    I'd agree if the rumour came from someone else but when it's McKenzie reporting it, you know it's more than speculation. And I have to think with them asking him to waive and now having the rumour out there, the relationship between Phaneuf and the Sens has soured to the point where he has to be moved or you take a chance pf dressing room problems if they were any already.

Sure they are going to lose the deal but McKenzie thinks it's going to happen sooner than later. Maybe with knowing the Sens want to move him, Phaneuf will expand his list of teams he'll go to.

Small update-

The Ottawa Senators are reportedly looking to move Dion Phaneuf, according to TSN's Darren Dreger.
    The Senators asked Phaneuf to waive his no-move clause ahead of the expansion draft, but he refused to do so. Phaneuf's no-trade clause allows him to submit a list of 12 teams he's willing to go to, but the Sens are currently working with him to see if there's any way he'd consider a trade to more teams. Dreger says there is some interest in Phaneuf around the league.

The Great One

We will see but I stand by if they really wanted to do something with him then it would have been pre draft.. There was no way VGK were passing on Methot...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Guru

So the Sens will go into the season with Cody Ceci as their second-best dman? That's not good.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Presumably if they move Phaneuf (and I don't think they will, even if they eat some salary)....they would pick someone up in FA as a stop gap. I think it was a HUGE mistake to go public with asking Phaneuf to waive; that should have been handled very privately. That's on management, IMO. (I still don't feel the same about Phaneuf, however).

Dorion said he had offers for Phaneuf pre-expansion draft but decided to keep him.

So now days later he's on the block? Something strange here. If I was Phaneuf I wouldn't want to stay.