Thread: Raanta in Arizona

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Raanta in Arizona

With Antti Raanta getting traded to Arizona, presumably to be the started over Chad Johnson, what do you see his value at?

Can he do what Talbots's is doing in Edmonton? Both skilled goalies getting traded from the Rangers to up and coming, young teams.

I see Arizona taking a huge step forward next season and pushing for a playoff spot.

My my prediction for Raanta: 55 GP, 32 wins, 2.4 GGA, .920 sv %.

What are are your guys opinions?
    - 12 team, 40 keeper dynasty league
    - Scoring categories for skaters: G, A, PIM, HIT, BLK, STP, FOW, SOG, +/-, DEF, ATOI
    - Scoring categories for goalies: W, SV, SV%, SO, GAA
    - Start 12F, 6D, 3UTIL, 3 min goalie starts a week
    - Starters in bold

Forwards: MacKinnon, Tarasenko, Tavares, Panarin, Johansen, Ehlers, E. Kane, Lee, Huberdeau, Horvat, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Pacioretty, Meier, Fabbri, Sikura, Zacha, Burakovsky, Spooner, Jost, Roussel, Kaprizov, Cirelli, Berglund,

Defense: Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dumba, Faulk, Provorov, Muzzin, McAvoy, Carlson, Nurse, Del Zotto, Borowiecki, Russell

Goalies: Jones, Vasilevskiy, Raanta, Keumper, Remier, Demko

Default Re: Raanta in Arizona

I think he will be a slightly worse than Talbot. Arizona has not that talented group (overall) than Edmonton, and Talbot is a bit better than Raanta.

BTW Chad Johnson won't be Coyotes next year, he was just used a placeholder in expansion draft, he is UFA.

I can agree with your Raanta prediction and yes, Arizona finally can push for a playoff spot, Chayka doing his job good since he took over the team.

Dobber Sports Wizard

If they're serious about making a playoff push (as acquiring Stepan and Hjalmarsson would indicate), they could acquire another 1A/1B goalie to share starts with Raanta. It would be a huge risk just handing him the starting job.

Chad Johnson is an UFA and apparently was only acquired for expansion draft purposes. They might sign someone like Elliott or Mason perhaps, depending on who they like and who has most realistic salary demands.

The Great One

Domingue is still there guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    They might sign someone like Elliott or Mason perhaps, depending on who they like and who has most realistic salary demands.
    I think they will ride Raanta with Domingue. As an Elliott owner I would like him in Arizona, but I don't think they are interested in him, they could get him earlier the week when they traded Mike Smith to the Flames.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Domingue is still there guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
    I think they will ride Raanta with Domingue. As an Elliott owner I would like him in Arizona, but I don't think they are interested in him, they could get him earlier the week when they traded Mike Smith to the Flames.
    Arizona chose to expose Domingue in the expansion draft when they could have avoided that situation with very marginal moves, so I don't think they are very invested in him. And Vegas chose an AHL player over Domingue, so apparently no other team in the league had any interest either.

Domingue may have been their plan for backup duty before but to me it seems like something has changed in Arizona this week. They got rid of their coach and acquired two very good players in Stepan and Hjalmarsson, giving away younger players and a high draft pick while doing so, so I think Domingue's spot on the team may be under discussion as well.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think projecting anything better than league average stats from Raanta would be unwise. .915 SV% and 2.6 GAA.

It's hard to predict the performance of back up goalies as starters unless they are clearly of all-star pedigree (think Schneider in VAN).

Also, with a new coach and still a very young core, I'd temper expectations. FWIW, I do think Raanta can be a good goalie in ARI, but this next year seems like a near-miss playoff year with middling goalie stats before taking the leap in 18-19.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Arizona chose to expose Domingue in the expansion draft when they could have avoided that situation with very marginal moves, so I don't think they are very invested in him. And Vegas chose an AHL player over Domingue, so apparently no other team in the league had any interest either.

Domingue may have been their plan for backup duty before but to me it seems like something has changed in Arizona this week. They got rid of their coach and acquired two very good players in Stepan and Hjalmarsson, giving away younger players and a high draft pick while doing so, so I think Domingue's spot on the team may be under discussion as well.
    They exposed Domingue because they had to. Only goalie that met the requirements to be exposed. I don't think they feel any less about him being what he is ... a backup.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by NikW71 View Post
    They exposed Domingue because they had to. Only goalie that met the requirements to be exposed. I don't think they feel any less about him being what he is ... a backup.
    As I said, they would have had to make a marginal move to avoid that - just spend a 7th round pick to acquire an AHL goalie who meets the criteria to be exposed. They didn't think he was worth the trouble, so they clearly don't care much about him.

Dobber Sports Master

Rants is a solid move in the right direction, but as others have said, it is going to be another year before the Yotes get close to the playoff picture, and I think Raanta will be a top 20 guy in Wins, Sv% before too long.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

Absolutely love this deal.

I think that Raanta will be something special in a few years. A must draft in my opinion for keeper leagues. Next year, I would though expect pedestrian numbers.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

The Great One

Domingue is a poor man's Hammond... Right place right time and will eventually disappear. Personally I can see worse combos than signing Johnson to play with Raanta as that is an awfully cheap, and subsequently good, goaltending tandem in my eyes (keep being tandem as I think both will have ups and downs).

Re the Yotes I think they are quickly becoming everyone's second team but it needs a hell of a turn around to break into the top 8 and a play off spot and though I like these moves I still expect them to miss and possibly comfortably
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree with most Dom will be the backup with Raanta getting the lions share of the starts. As for predecting numbers for Raanta, that will be hard to do with so many ARI changes. New D personel, new coach, new system. I believe Raanta is an above league avg talent and those would be numbers I'd be hoping for.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey