Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's Been A While

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default It's Been A While

Fellas,

I know it has been a long time since I have been around the forums. The last 5-10 years of my life have been very difficult for me, as I have struggled with anxiety and depression. My self-esteem and self-confidence were extremely low and I had trouble pursuing any sort of career as I always ventured into different things and different jobs but had no real direction.

I have never really been happy as a kid, teenager or adult. Anyway, I have spent the last calendar year working on myself and trying to understand why I feel the way I do. I had a very difficult childhood, including being diagnosed with epilepsy when I was in grade 3. That lasted until I was about 16/17. Even when doctors told me I had outgrown the damage had been done.

I'm happy to report that I have turned my life around thanks to some really good people including my friends and family always supporting me and knowing what is best for me. I am currently working at a small radio station in the US (Utah) as an on-air personality. I decided I needed to distance myself from home and hit the reset button so I went all the way out to Utah as I mentioned. I do not earn any money doing this but its valuable experience and I have learned so many great skills from the people here.

I have been able to start living my life the way I want to and made tremendous progress in the past calendar year. I love radio and decided to apply to some Radio Broadcasting programs that would allow me to work in the field in the next couple years.

I will be attending Algonquin College for Radio Broadcasting in the fall.

Anyway, that is what I have been up to. It has been a long road. I feel good, determined and anxious to prove myself in this program and beyond.

Just wanted to check in. I am not sure how much I will be around but you will see me online once in a while.

If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to respond here and I'll do my best to answer.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: It's Been A While

Congrats man! Good to hear your doing well!

Great to see you back around here, even if it's just periodically. Strong voice and great opinions.

Really good to hear things are going so positively for you.

A couple people very close to me struggle with anxiety and depression as well. It's a battle every day, but making more positive steps then negative ones is always the goal. Really happy for you man.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Good to hear that you're ok. Welcome back
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

Right in the feels! Well done Sir.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Wolverine

Good to see you back!

Dobber Sports Titan

Nothing like that is ever easy, and we have all been touched by it one way or another. It is nice to hear that you are making strides in feeling better about yourself on the whole.

Algonquin is also a beautiful area, and I have a couple of friends that went to school there. It's a good place to be.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Very happy to hear you found some happiness.

It takes a lot of courage to share your story but it seems like it is trending towards a happy ending. Hopefully your radio career blossoms along with everything else in your life
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Deity

DMV!

Good to hear from you.

All the best and things work out for you!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great to hear you are finding your way. Hope to see you around here more often!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Icon

dmv!!

Glad to hear you are doing better - I've been through similar stuff and you're really lucky to have a lot of support around you.

Hope we see more of you (but if not pop in once in a while )
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Expert

All the best dm! Would love to see you back more!
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

DMV you old sonofa[beep]! Great to hear from ya man, and I'm even happier for you that you are facing your life's challenges and getting squared away. Best of luck to you. Do try to pop in once in awhile. There's always a place in these forums for you.

Peace.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Glad to see you've found your path in life and that you are facing life's challenges head on. I'm sure we'll hear more from you now that you are getting more comfortable in your own skin. Nothing is harder! Best of luck at school.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hey Mac,

Thanks for sharing your story pal. It's not easy to go through what you went through but I'm really happy you managed to find your way out.

I find the whole discourse around millenials to be a really interesting one. A lot of people write us off as being lazy, self-entitled, and spoiled...and to a certain extent a fair number of us are (I mean, I know I am about certain things). But in general, given the kind of work that I do and how it operates at a macro level I think a lot of people overlook the society that we live in now and how much more difficult it is to find your way in this crazy world.

Congratulations on the job, school, and managing to sort things out. Wishing you all the best.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Welcome back dmv.

Life, for a young person, is also a little bit like being a young professional hockey player.
    You get drafted into a situation (your family, your school) and you have to play there for a certain number of years.
    Some people get a great situation, great family, great community - they enjoy life... they are... visibly happy, really happy.
    Others get a lesser situation, maybe lesser family, maybe lesser community.
    Some players didn't get a good team drafting them - and had to deal with it until their UFA date FINALLY comes - and they can pick their own world.
    By that point, money may not even be the most major issue.

I had a good family, but never good friends... hated grade school, hated high school...
    then I got to pick University - with a bunch of numbers nerds - and found my place.
    Sounds like you've done the same.

You & I had a pretty solid riff about 5 years ago.
    I have harbored some ill will about the way you treated me, publicly, for that incident.
    If you truly have/had social issues, I can let that go - but it was pretty cruel (what you did).
    Here's my hope to you truly being a changed fellow!

Welcome back!!!
    -P7