Thread: Never been in a Cap league... help!!!

The Great One

Default Never been in a Cap league... help!!!

I'm so lost!!! Cats are g, a, pts, Pim, Sog, pop, shp, gwg and plus minus - saves, shut outs, gaa, sv%:and wins. Cap is 30 million above real cap. Daily starts- i mam bench ( mine sux). Whose good? Whose garbage???

C- Matthews, Kadri, Little
    Rw- Atkinson, Toffoli, Perron
    Lw- Skinner, Parise, Nelson
    Forward Flex- Henrique, Hartman, Killorn
    D-Core- Weberry, Giordano, Klef-Bomb, Zaitsev, Orlov
    G- Crawford, Andersen
    BN- Faksa, Hansen, Theodore, Deshharnais, Smith(z), Wilson, koorpisalo

Just bought this. Excited to start building in a great l3ague- but where do I start???

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Never been in a Cap league... help!!!

How many teams in your league? If it's closer to 20 teams and your cap is $30M above NHL's, then the cap is not really an issue. But if it's closer to 10 teams, then the cap plays much bigger role in your league. Another important question is, are you using cap hits or yearly salary? So for example, is Parise $7.5M or $9M in your league? And can you drop players without penalty when they're no longer useful?

The old rule of thumb says that you should get at least 10 points per $1M from your forwards, so your $5M forward should score 50 points or more. Of course it's a bit different in multi-cat but it's a decent starting point either way.

My first and most important advice is that you take your time before you start making a bunch of trades. People usually make their biggest mistakes right after joining a league when they don't properly understand player valuation yet in that specific league setup. So take offers but don't jump on them right away.

Dobber Sports Ace

10 points / million $ is key, as mentioned above. I recommend creating a spreadsheet and adding a category with points/$1million. The higher that number is, the better. Guys like Guentzel, Keller, Nylander and Marner will be at the top of that list. But also remember that you need your stars, players that produce into the 70-80 point range. You don't need many, maybe one or two, but you need them. N Backstrom and J Tavares are great value in cap leagues.

Try to acquire as many value players as possible. And draft your cheap, point producers early. Matthews is by far your best player in a cap format. As are Kadri and Atkinson. Theodore will produce large in Vegas and he's dirt cheap. I like Klefbom as well.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Titan

Some great points brought up by the other two.
    Parise is a dump in my mine even in non-cap leagues. You won't get much if anything for him.
    Killorn is a borderline value kind, and guys like Weber/Giordano are okay as long as you don't have many of them. Defence is the toughest place to find bargains, so Klefbom is big. Your goalies are good, so don't bother messing with that.

Your team could definitely use a winger. Biggest thing though is not jumping into deals right away. We have all made that mistake before. And feel free to come back with more specific questions. There are a lot of intricacies with cap leagues.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

I have no idea why I can't give karma- maybe my phone??!! In any case karma coming to everyone who responded- extremely helpful!!

Ftr its a 14 team league. I didn't include I've got Theodore tuch and Colin miller as servicable pipeline assets.

I have to figure out my cap hit situation but deals I'm considering are:

Ben Hutton and a 5th (basically nhl entry draft) for camel toe Cammalleri

Colin miller and/or Korpi Salo for one or two of (a) Nylander, meter, sv3chnikov or Greenway.

A much bigger deal cell tired around Crawford for buff, staal and picks. I could roll with Andersen, Smith, Korpi for buff whose a multi cat beast and Staal whose got a great contract. The picks are gravy cause I have researched this draft like crazy.

Thoughts???
    Again I'm WY out of my depth- are any of th3se crazy???

Dobber Sports Titan

1) Some nice prospects you have. Those are gold in leagues like this.
    2) Which side of Hutton/Camalleri are you getting? I would easily want Hutton even if there wasn't a pick coming back. Also is that 5th overall of 5th round? If it's 5th overall then you need to step away from the keyboard and wait until you're off whatever meds are clouding your mind
    3) If you can swing Colin Miller for any of those guys, do it. Korpisalo is a bit of a different situation. Two years on a good contract behind a BAB starter.
    4) Only thing with the last deal is to make sure you're not taking on too much salary. IF you have to leave a return pick off of it to send back a cap dump then so be it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

Hutton side is good.

I wouldn't move Miller and Korpisalo for Greenway - that would be a major fail.

And goalies generally have HUGE value in most leagues. The fact that two of your trades involve you giving up goalies leads me to believe you are likely getting screwed over by savvy GMs that have a better understanding of valuations in your league.

I think you're best advice is to study trade history in your league and don't make any moves for at least a few weeks.

Dobber Sports Titan

I missed the "AND" on the Miller/Korpi deal. You shouldn't have to part with both for any of those players save maybe A. Nylander (who I'm not high on).

The Great One

Deal1
    So the miller/Korpi was never really d3fined. He had interest in those 2 and I said I like them like:
    Nylander
    Meier/Svechnikkv
    Greenway

But in either case this one is tabled until a later date.

Deal 2

I actually have the Hutton side . Wasn't the 5th overall was the 5th round. But I hadn't realized I don't have a 5th. So I ended up offering hutton/6/7 for cammy. I have two 7s and am a cammy fan -is this really that bad?? Not seeing huttons upside...

Deal 3
    I know goalies have a lot of value but I worry about CCS long term value. Theonset deal in place is cc/later picks for bb/staal/picard and earp6-ish picks. Feels like quite a haul. Buf/weber/Giordano in a cats league is no joke and I can run andersen/smith with spot starts by pickard and Korpi who both have medium range starter potential. Also staal boosts an anemic forward flex and bench for me with a reasonable cap hit.

Dobber Sports Titan

A lot of D get their value really lowered in cap leagues, so watch out there. That's all I can say with that last deal.

Personally you may not see Hutton's upside, but I don't see much upside to Cammalari anymore.

The Great One

I have no idea why you would do the Hutton trade.

I can't make out half the players in the other trade.

I still don't think you should be moving a goalie until you are more familiar with the league. If you are thinking of trading Crawford, make sure everyone in the league is aware that he's on the block. Make sure you have more than one offer to consider. Otherwise, you have no idea on what the market value is...

Dobber Sports Genius

Emu, I tried to follow along but nicknames and abbreviated slang auto-corrected names left me confused. I'm moving on to the next post.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

Hey sorry I'm having massive issues with autocoŕrect on my new phone.

Deal 1 got scrapped for now.

Deal 2 was hutton and a 6th and 7th for Cammalleri but I pulled out after comments in this thread. He's got kovy so I might trace back with hutton and a later pick for Kovalchuk.

Deal 3 is still in the air but I need a lot of help structuring it. I'd be moving crawford/Julien gauthier and mid round pick (s) for some5hing resembling byfuglien/e staal/pickard and if I'm not aiming too high hopefully a 1st or at least a 2nd. Leaves me only 2 starters with Andersen and Smith backed up by pickard and koorpisalo. It's a daily starts league with 2 g spots. I'd like to move Crawford before his value slowly starts to move the wrong way but I'm not cap savvy enough to know what to ask for.

I had a 4th deal started because I like eberle and ghost but the initial ask was 2 firsts for eberle so I moved on from the whole th8ngs.

Would love some help!!!

EDIT : LOL it's nearly impossible to type on this phone - that post took about 30 mins and still has errors. This is nuts- my apologies!!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Deal three isn't a bad one how you have it layed out now. You are taking on salary though so just keep that in mind. That is a whole asset to the trade on its own.