Thread: 17 vs 18 Draft

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default 17 vs 18 Draft

Hy guys

After 2 very good Draft-Years everyone is talking about a not so good draft-class this year. Since we're only drafting rights for the new draft-class players im thinking about giving my pick away for a pick next year. Hence my question is: Is the 17 oder the next years 18 draft better concerning star-potencial and depth of the first round?
    Thank you for your answers
    12 Team H2H Yahoo Dynasty league 24 Players (4 LW, C, RW, 6 D, 4 Reserve 2 Goalies)
    G, A, FOW, PPP, PIM, Shots, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, GAA, Shots, Save%, Shutout

Plus: Yearly 2 Prospect-Picks, on which you have the rights for 3 years. Maximal 6 prospects overall

C:, Eichel, Pettersson, Bennett, Cates
    RW: Marner, Rantanen, Stephenson, Blais, Coleman, Killorn
    LW: Gaudreau, Panarin, Kaprizov, B. Tkachuck, Guentzel, E. Kane
    D:E-Larrson, Trouba, McAvoy, Dahlin, Ristolainen, Walman, Matheson
    G:Hellebuyck, Sorokin, Saros

IR:
    Forsberg, Kaprizov, Chabot

Prospects (right now not in the Team): Q. Byfield

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: 17 vs 18 Draft

The 2018 draft has at least better top-end talent (top-3, top-5, something like that) but it remains to be seen how much better depth is has for the rest of the 1st round.

If you can get an upgrade to your pick e.g. trading away #10 for a pick that could end up being a top-5 pick in 2018, then I suggest doing that. But I wouldn't trade down e.g. from #5 to a pick that's likely going to be #10-12 range. You might get a similar player still in 2018 but you have to wait an extra year, so why bother.

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with JP - i'd only trade my pick this year for next year if it was a clear upgrade. yes, next year's draft (especially at the top) should be much better, but the extra year wait doesn't necessarily make it worth it. also, depending on league categories, sometimes having a "better" draft doesn't necessarily translate to fantasy. sometimes the "worse" draft years produce some better multi-cat players than others. off the top of my head, a guy like kristian vesalainen, who will probably go around 10-15 overall, could wind up as a multi-cat beast, while a lot of the top guys next year that will go a bit higher than that are pure scorers. there is another tkachuk coming next year, but he'll probably go top 5.

in general, yes, next year's draft is much better. the top two are gonna be awesome. next year we've got rasmus dahlin, who a lot of people are saying is going to be BETTER than erik karlsson. sure, he's only 17 years old so that's a huge projection to make, but just the fact that the comparison is being made should go to show how highly regarded he is. andrei svechnikov is also going to be a top 10-15 point producer.

pierre mcguire was on TSN radio yesterday and he said that next year's draft is very good, 2019 is even better, and 2020 and 2021 are off the charts. sure, that's a ridiculously long time away, but he's watching the players himself and he knows a whole lot more than i do

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    I agree with JP - i'd only trade my pick this year for next year if it was a clear upgrade. yes, next year's draft (especially at the top) should be much better, but the extra year wait doesn't necessarily make it worth it. also, depending on league categories, sometimes having a "better" draft doesn't necessarily translate to fantasy. sometimes the "worse" draft years produce some better multi-cat players than others. off the top of my head, a guy like kristian vesalainen, who will probably go around 10-15 overall, could wind up as a multi-cat beast, while a lot of the top guys next year that will go a bit higher than that are pure scorers. there is another tkachuk coming next year, but he'll probably go top 5.

in general, yes, next year's draft is much better. the top two are gonna be awesome. next year we've got rasmus dahlin, who a lot of people are saying is going to be BETTER than erik karlsson. sure, he's only 17 years old so that's a huge projection to make, but just the fact that the comparison is being made should go to show how highly regarded he is. andrei svechnikov is also going to be a top 10-15 point producer.
    I was looking at Ryan Merkley's stats the other day and wondered why he isn't in that top-2 discussion for 2018. He had 55 points in 62 games in the OHL as a 16-year-old, and he's a D-man! He led his team in scoring as a 16-year-old D-man! Those would be excellent numbers for a 16-year-old forward. But I haven't seen him play, so I don't know if there's something missing from his all-around game.

Rasmus Dahlin may have had better junior career so far than Erik Karlsson did but Karlsson took huge steps in his development after he was drafted, so expecting Dahlin to become better than him is a bit too much. But he's the first prospect who I don't mind being compared to Karlsson because for once, that comparison is actually pretty fair. It doesn't mean he's going to be better or even as good as Karlsson but the comparisons are legit IMO.

I can't believe we're already talking about prospects born in the year 2000... That year doesn't seem so long ago.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    there is another tkachuk coming next year, but he'll probably go top 5.
    How's he called?

I will have one of the top 3 picks this year and was looking to change it with a team who will too have one of those top 3 picks this year and I can't imagine he will be better next year, so that I will receive his top 3-5 pick next year?
    12 Team H2H Yahoo Dynasty league 24 Players (4 LW, C, RW, 6 D, 4 Reserve 2 Goalies)

Plus: Yearly 2 Prospect-Picks, on which you have the rights for 3 years. Maximal 6 prospects overall

IR:

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by saemson View Post
    I will have one of the top 3 picks this year and was looking to change it with a team who will too have one of those top 3 picks this year and I can't imagine he will be better next year, so that I will receive his top 3-5 pick next year?
    If it's the 3rd overall pick, then I would trade it. If it becomes 1st or 2nd overall, then I would have to take a long, hard look at his roster to make sure he doesn't finish much higher than he did this year. If there's a decent chance of getting a top-2 pick in 2018, then it might be worth the risk even if you lose the 1st overall pick in 2017.

Dobber Sports Pro

Here is how I view it right now:

2018 has more high end talent that may be spread out through the first round but as of right now 2017 has lots of good depth (underrated skilled players) in the later rounds of the draft .

If I was you I'd trade to trade for a 2018 pick (hopefully a few spot upgrade) and get a later 2017 pick or two that some people may not value. There could be lots of second line talent in these later rounds
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I was looking at Ryan Merkley's stats the other day and wondered why he isn't in that top-2 discussion for 2018. He had 55 points in 62 games in the OHL as a 16-year-old, and he's a D-man! He led his team in scoring as a 16-year-old D-man! Those would be excellent numbers for a 16-year-old forward. But I haven't seen him play, so I don't know if there's something missing from his all-around game.

Rasmus Dahlin may have had better junior career so far than Erik Karlsson did but Karlsson took huge steps in his development after he was drafted, so expecting Dahlin to become better than him is a bit too much. But he's the first prospect who I don't mind being compared to Karlsson because for once, that comparison is actually pretty fair. It doesn't mean he's going to be better or even as good as Karlsson but the comparisons are legit IMO.

I can't believe we're already talking about prospects born in the year 2000... That year doesn't seem so long ago.
    Kid is Lights Out! A bit small but such a smooth skater and reeks havoc in the offensive zone. Because of his size, I'm not sure how his game translates to the NHL, but I've loved watching this kid so far.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    If it's the 3rd overall pick, then I would trade it. If it becomes 1st or 2nd overall, then I would have to take a long, hard look at his roster to make sure he doesn't finish much higher than he did this year. If there's a decent chance of getting a top-2 pick in 2018, then it might be worth the risk even if you lose the 1st overall pick in 2017.
    does anyone have a similar proposition, because i'm tending to do this! got the first pick.

IR:

The Great One

If you have the 1st overall pick this year, I'd consider trying to make a few trades. First, try dropping down in this year's draft (say pick 3 or whatever). Then flipping that pick for a comparable pick in 2018. But I'd only go ahead if I had both deals in place. I'm not sure I'd trade 1st overall this year for something that could end up out of top 5 next year.

The Great One

Issue will always be that it's primarily the top guys that can step straight in so if you can afford to wait another year of development then it makes sense to flip to 18 but otherwise I'd be loathe to do it (as all you need is for a guy who you think is a bottom feeder to come out of that pool and/or the lottery to screw it)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.