Thread: Value of Habs Handcuff? Varlamov?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Value of Habs Handcuff? Varlamov?

I'm in a cap keeper league and I'm wondering about my goalies. Cats are W, SO, SV%, SV, and GAA. My options are: stick with Price-Hellebuyck-Varlamov or deal Varly and go with Price-Hellebuyck-Montoya. Cap space is a concern.

Does the Habs handcuff have any value? Does Varly? Which of the two would you rather have?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Value of Habs Handcuff? Varlamov?

I'd wait about 24 hours to see if Montoya is even the handcuff, but yeah i'd go with the handcuff over Varly, assuming you can only start two nightly?
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

I would take most backups over Varly (included in that is whoever is backing up Varly). Especially in a cap league.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Cap league ends whatever is left of a Varly's value... Don't get me wrong I hi I he can bounce back but if I'm up against the cap there are worse deals in a start 2
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Novice

Does any of this change if Pickard is lost to expansion? They protected Varly and apparently have hired his old goalie coach...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Varly is fire and ice, but more ice than anything.

If Price gets hurt **why did I type that** then you've got a good boat load of starts right there.

And I'd rather lean on Price and Helly and spot start a backup, then use a starter on a bad team.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Giant

There is a chance that Lindgren will get the gig so Montoya may prove pretty useless. If it was me, I'd want Varly here and wait a few weeks into the season as I think he will have a bounce back season. Cap league or not, I'm sure you will find a trading partner that will give you a decent return for the 29 year old goalie.

PS: I know how you feel about your 3 goalies (see my team in sig. )
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    There is a chance that Lindgren will get the gig so Montoya may prove pretty useless. If it was me, I'd want Varly here and wait a few weeks into the season as I think he will have a bounce back season. Cap league or not, I'm sure you will find a trading partner that will give you a decent return for the 29 year old goalie.

PS: I know how you feel about your 3 goalies (see my team in sig. )
    Ha ha - at least you have Pickard, too! To clarify, my post isn't really specific to Montoya. I could probably also go out and get Lindgren. My concern about the handcuff is really about whether the Habs will win enough and play strong enough defense to make it worthwhile.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dominpat Roysek View Post
    Ha ha - at least you have Pickard, too! To clarify, my post isn't really specific to Montoya. I could probably also go out and get Lindgren. My concern about the handcuff is really about whether the Habs will win enough and play strong enough defense to make it worthwhile.
    They will win more than Colorado In a cap league, Varlamov as a 3rd starter does some a bit iffy. But like others have said, waiting until the Habs backup goalie is solidified does make some sense, if you can wait on it...

Dobber Sports Genius

You have to wait out this expansion week so you know more facts about which team each goalie is on. Too many moving pieces to make informed decisions.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"