Thread: Wheeler, Kuzy, Hall, Hedman, Johansen, Monahan (I'll Rep)

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Wheeler, Kuzy, Hall, Hedman, Johansen, Monahan (I'll Rep)

I'm in a keeper format (see signature), and I have the following guys under contract: Kuzy (3), Hall (2), Monahan (2), Johansen (1). I drafted Hedman last year, and picked up Wheeler via trade in season. Neither of them obviously have a contract, and you can only go into the year with 4 keepers, or 5 if you acquired a 5th contract, but you have to forfeit a 1st rounder. Since I didn't acquire a 5th contract, my options going into next year are:

Johansen/Monahan (4), Kuzy (3), Hall (2), Monahan/Johansen (1). I picked up Monahan/Johansen via trade last year, so I can keep their contracts as is, or top 1 of them up (sign to 4), thus signing the other to the other open slot (1).

I can keep Hedman/Wheeler, and trade 2 of the guys I mentioned (of Kuz, Hall, Johansen, Monahan), or keep 1 of Hedman/Wheeler, and just trade 1 of the other guys plus 1 of these.

I guess what I'm getting at is, in the format I'm in, which 4 guys would you have as your keepers? I essentially have a 1 and 4 yr slot available for whoever I want, just so happens I have 4 guys under contract already, just need to decide what to do.

Johansen is a c/rw for 1 more season, then will just be back to c eligibility. Since I already had Kuzy under contract, he maintains c/lw status for another 3 years, and Hall will maintain c/lw for another 2 years.

The only D keepers in my league from this past season were Burns/Karlsson/Subban, so gives you an idea of mostly forwards being kept, and d being available in the draft.

I feel like all of the 6 guys I mentioned are solid, and Hedman is possibly going to be like a Burns going forward, but I don't have like a standout keeper necessarily, just good depth. I'm set up well for the draft: I pick 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7, 8.

I finished 3rd this past season FYI. And I also drafted Price going into last year, but I don't plan to keep a goalie. A couple of rookie goalies were carried over from 15/16 into 16/17 (Murray, Gibson), since our league allows that, but all other goalies were available to be drafted. In past years, the odd goalie would be kept. Basically after your 2nd year with the rookie, you can sign them to either 1 or 2 years if you have an open slot. Otherwise, you just lose them without penalty.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Wheeler, Kuzy, Hall, Hedman, Johansen, Monahan (I'll Rep)

My 4... Wheeler, Hedman, Hall, Monahan (due to the boost on Goals -3) Johansen/Kuzy are lighter on goals than Hall or Monahan who are shoot first players.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    My 4... Wheeler, Hedman, Hall, Monahan (due to the boost on Goals -3) Johansen/Kuzy are lighter on goals than Hall or Monahan who are shoot first players.
    Thanks man. The only issue I see with keeping that group of 4 is contract slotting. I'll have 1, 3, 4 open, so who do I put where? I mean Hedman and Wheeler would be equally good solid 1 year guys, but there is risk going beyond that (Wheeler due to age), Hedman due to position. Also, Monahan is currently a 2 so would you leave him as 2 with Hall, or put him at 4, and put Wheeler/Hedman in 1 and 3? I would lean toward Wheeler as a 3, because I think he's got a few 70 pt years left in him, and a safe floor. Also, if I move Kuzy/Johansen, what would you try to get in return? I was wanting to package 2 keepers for 1, like to upgrade, or trade a keeper for a pick. I'm not necessarily saying I have to have 4 of the 6 guys I mentioned, I can make trades too and shake up my group. Basically who are no-brainers to hang onto, and who would you try and deal? I feel like Monahan and Johansen are similar, and I like Hall's ceiling most of the other guys. Kuzy still gets stuck behind Backstrom. Winnipeg is getting younger, but Wheeler is a big part of the team still, and Hedman will probably take a hit in pp production next year. I guess I could also keep 1 of Monahan/Johansen and move the other, then decide who the 2nd guy is I move. I may be forced to keep the original 4 I listed and drop 2 guys, but I hope that doesn't happen.

I really want to get a Tavares type guy. I did really well this past year without a true Top 10 guy, but drafted well.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    Thanks man. The only issue I see with keeping that group of 4 is contract slotting. I'll have 1, 3, 4 open, so who do I put where? I mean Hedman and Wheeler would be equally good solid 1 year guys, but there is risk going beyond that (Wheeler due to age), Hedman due to position. Also, Monahan is currently a 2 so would you leave him as 2 with Hall, or put him at 4, and put Wheeler/Hedman in 1 and 3? I would lean toward Wheeler as a 3, because I think he's got a few 70 pt years left in him, and a safe floor. Also, if I move Kuzy/Johansen, what would you try to get in return? I was wanting to package 2 keepers for 1, like to upgrade, or trade a keeper for a pick. I'm not necessarily saying I have to have 4 of the 6 guys I mentioned, I can make trades too and shake up my group. Basically who are no-brainers to hang onto, and who would you try and deal? I feel like Monahan and Johansen are similar, and I like Hall's ceiling most of the other guys. Kuzy still gets stuck behind Backstrom. Winnipeg is getting younger, but Wheeler is a big part of the team still, and Hedman will probably take a hit in pp production next year. I guess I could also keep 1 of Monahan/Johansen and move the other, then decide who the 2nd guy is I move. I may be forced to keep the original 4 I listed and drop 2 guys, but I hope that doesn't happen.

I really want to get a Tavares type guy. I did really well this past year without a true Top 10 guy, but drafted well.
    I see Monahan & Johansen sort of similar players. But one will give you a shot at 30+ goals, the other maybe 15-20. That's an extra 15-20pts potentially just on goals. With the disinterest in Dmen, I'd see if there's interest in hedman/Monahan in a trade for an upgrade.

I'd def. put Hedman in 1yr. Wheeler I'd be fine with in a 3yr deal. I'd also target a JT in return. See if the Ovie owner has soured as well. Any team with a weak 4th keeper & both are upgrades,

Dobber Sports Pro

I see Monahan & Johansen sort of similar players. But one will give you a shot at 30+ goals, the other maybe 15-20. That's an extra 15-20pts potentially just on goals. With the disinterest in Dmen, I'd see if there's interest in hedman/Monahan in a trade for an upgrade.

I'd def. put Hedman in 1yr. Wheeler I'd be fine with in a 3yr deal. I'd also target a JT in return. See if the Ovie owner has soured as well. Any team with a weak 4th keeper & both are upgrades,
    Perfect, i'll look into my options and keep you posted. No one looks rushed to do anything, but probably because it's still June haha. And the problem with going for a JT type guy is they'll ask for an arm and a leg, and that GM knows none of my guys are on his level/he has to move Galy as well and expects to get a keeper back, so he's got Kessel, Toffoli, JT and then has to try and get a 4th. He may not have room for anyone, unless he moves one of the other guys as well.

I moved MacK this past year and got Monahan and Johansen, which helped me for last year, but now more decisions to make!
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    Perfect, i'll look into my options and keep you posted. No one looks rushed to do anything, but probably because it's still June haha.

I moved MacK this past year and got Monahan and Johansen, which helped me for last year, but now more decisions to make!
    I'd also look for others to chime in here to get well rounded advice. Someone more familiar with your style pool may rip my suggestions to shreds, heh

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd also look for others to chime in here to get well rounded advice. Someone more familiar with your style pool may rip my suggestions to shreds, heh
    Haha you never know. I just don't see a wow factor with my keeper options, but I'm set up well in the draft, and think I could do some damage if I'm smart with my moves. I got some steals in the draft last year late (ie: Dubnyk/Pasta), and I got equity for them, and still finished in the money. There was no catching the winner, he won by like 110 pts, and I finished 30 pts out of 2nd. And by the way, the other gm said initially no 2 of my guys interest him in a possible Tavares deal (Ie: Wheeler/Kuz wouldn't be enough), but said he would look at Kuz/Hall. I don't know if that would make sense for me, I think on a given season Hall could produce just like Tavares, like he has that upside. Hall gets the injury knock, and hasn't been point per game for awhile, but Tavares has been below par relative to Tavares standards, 70 and 66 pts the past 2 years.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Pro

One more thing, I have a 5th contract (Eberle) that I had acquired via trade last year, so I can keep him, but would have to sacrifice my first rounder since it's max 4 contracts. I planned to buy him out, or try and trade him, but then found out he got moved to the Isles. Where would he rank in terms of with the other 6 guys I've listed in this thread, keeper wise? My 1st rounder is going to be late (12-14), and I have a high 2nd, so would it be worth keeping 5 guys and forfeiting the first? The first round has obvious talent at the top (ie: rookies, any non-keepers, top goalies, d, etc).
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax