Thread: When Do Fantasy Defensemen Peak: Age-old Question Answered!

The Great One

Default When Do Fantasy Defensemen Peak: Age-old Question Answered!

Yup - it's time for some detective work this week at Cage Match, where I tackled the question of when (i.e., at what age) fantasy defensemen peak. You can read the column here: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...-1-defensemen/

The methodology was looking at the top 25+ defensemen scorers (the "+" being due to Band-Aid Boy allowances and accounting for scoring ties) from each of the past 20 seasons, and looking at their ages. I explained the "rules" in more detail in the column. As part of the data I also broke down the scorers into age ranges, to better see year-to-year variation.

I think the results, while not entirely surprising, were enlightening, especially the difference in recent trends as compared to the past data. Give it a read and be sure to come back here to discuss your thoughts.

And good news - my next two columns will stick with this theme, next week tackling the same question for forwards and then for goalies, making it a truly rare event where cage match covers netminders.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: When Do Fantasy Defensemen Peak: Age-old Question Answered!

I was really hoping this would be a click bait title... (disappointed) I enjoy watching the sh-- show that ensues from people upset it was a click bait title. Really informative article.. I'm just disappointed this thread won't get as lively as actual 'click bait' titles have in the past (yes this sarcasm and spoken in jest - for those that can't pick up on it)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I was really hoping this would be a click bait title... (disappointed) I enjoy watching the sh-- show that ensues from people upset it was a click bait title. Really informative article.. I'm just disappointed this thread won't get as lively as actual 'click bait' titles have in the past (yes this sarcasm and spoken in jest - for those that can't pick up on it)
    I know I've had my share of click bait accusations, and thought twice about titling this as I did; but it really is what the article is about, so hopefully folks feel that I didn't overstep.

And of course I'm glad you liked the article - it was hard work putting it together.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I know I've had my share of click bait accusations, and thought twice about titling this as I did; but it really is what the article is about, so hopefully folks feel that I didn't overstep.

And of course I'm glad you liked the article - it was hard work putting it together.
    There were some studs about 20 years ago playing into their late 30's so it doesn't surprise me the avg age of Dmen in top 25 pt production was higher then than now. With the move to a faster and younger NHL recently the trend to younger doesn't surprise me. 24-31 are still prime years with the production flip coming 20-23 vs 32-35. A 5 & 10 year follow up on this article would be interesting to see as well
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4