Thread: Elliot

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Elliot

Where do you think Brian Elliott is next season? Backup to Smith? Backup somewhere else? Bargain starter for COL. ARI?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Elliot

Philly, 2yr x $4.5m.
    I can see Hextall going with him.
    He just sort of fits the boring North American type goalies that have a little more of a positive remembering for team fans.
    When I think of the Flyers, I always see them with a more gritty, older type of veteran goalie.
    The last few goalies to actually take the Flyers 3+ rounds were all NA guys: Leighton, Biron, Esche, Boucher, Hextall, etc.
    I really think he fits here and PHI is still 2+ years from any kid being ready (including Stolarz, who IS still eligible for AHL without waivers.)
    http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/philadelphia.html

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thank you for that. Thus, that displaces Mason. Do you see Mason as a backup somewhere or #1?

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with penguin. I think he winds up in philly. I could also see him winding up in Winnipeg, where he could time share with hellebucyk, although I think steve mason makes more sense in Winnipeg (could also see mason going to Arizona).

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by nastyearwax View Post
    Thank you for that. Thus, that displaces Mason. Do you see Mason as a backup somewhere or #1?
    Arizona, in the small chance Vegas selects Domingue (though I think they won't).
    I can see Chayka liking his "numbers".

I could also see Vancouver possibly signing Mason for 1-2yr if they can find a taker for Ryan Miller.
    I can see VAN flipping Miller after the expansion draft.
    Miller might be a nice veteran back-up in a place like Washington (if they lose Grubauer) or New York (if they lose Raanta).

Essentially, Mason is going to be a risk/reward type guy... so its likely he goes to a cruddy/rebuild type team.
    Colorado is another possibility, if Pickard gets selected in expansion.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Arizona, in the small chance Vegas selects Domingue (though I think they won't).
    I can see Chayka liking his "numbers".

I could also see Vancouver possibly signing Mason for 1-2yr if they can find a taker for Ryan Miller.
    I can see VAN flipping Miller after the expansion draft.
    Miller might be a nice veteran back-up in a place like Washington (if they lose Grubauer) or New York (if they lose Raanta).

Essentially, Mason is going to be a risk/reward type guy... so its likely he goes to a cruddy/rebuild type team.
    Colorado is another possibility, if Pickard gets selected in expansion.
    Miller is currently a UFA, Van doesn't have to do anything with him other than wave... but I agree Mason would be a good back up 1b option in Van. this year (1yr deal is all I'd offer him)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Thanks.
    Hard to remember every player's condition off top of head.
    OK - I've got both Mason & Alzner headed to VAN then!

Dobber Sports Jedi

^Thanks.
    Hard to remember every player's condition off top of head.
    OK - I've got both Mason & Alzner headed to VAN then!
    I haven't heard anything about Alzner to Van... I mean, they've lost 3Dmen this year - 2 to KHL, 1 to Swiss (2 of which were borderline 7th - Dmen. I see the need for Alzner, but also doesn't make sense on other levels - age, where the team is at. I shudder to think the $$ and term they'd have to lock him in to.

I can see Alzner getting the K. Russell treatment this summer... I like Will Butcher to end up in Van. that team is filled with NCAA players, Hutton, Stecher, I think he'd be able to see where he fits in pretty easily.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Alzner has always struck me as a humble, family-oriented guy.
    He got married in VAN, think his wife is from BC... they have two young kids.
    NHL teams still need to roster a serviceable team, have a good clubhouse, leaders.
    Alzner is a good fit for a young team.
    Teams need a few good papa-bears... the Sedins may be on their last year in VAN.
    Heck, I'll go so far as to say that Karl Alzner could be the CAPTAIN of this team on July 1st, 2018.
    If he signs there, I think he'll be an assistant captain at least, within first two years.

Oops - sorry to de-rail thread.
    Back to Elliott....

Dobber Sports Jedi

Alzner has always struck me as a humble, family-oriented guy.
    He got married in VAN, think his wife is from BC... they have two young kids.
    NHL teams still need to roster a serviceable team, have a good clubhouse, leaders.
    Alzner is a good fit for a young team.
    Teams need a few good papa-bears... the Sedins may be on their last year in VAN.
    Heck, I'll go so far as to say that Karl Alzner could be the CAPTAIN of this team on July 1st, 2018.
    If he signs there, I think he'll be an assistant captain at least, within first two years.

Oops - sorry to de-rail thread.
    Back to Mason....
    Those personal details are good to know, Van makes sense on that level then. Horvat will be the next C though. I think Mason would do well in Van to re-establish himself after last season. No real pressure, expectations

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think he backs up Smith
    Elliot is the perennial backup who can't carry the torch on his own. They were pretty committed to him right up until the end of last year. Didn't even try to snag another goalie at the deadline.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    I think he backs up Smith
    Elliot is the perennial backup who can't carry the torch on his own. They were pretty committed to him right up until the end of last year. Didn't even try to snag another goalie at the deadline.
    I'll eat my hat if I see Brian Elliott choose to become the backup to the Flames next year. He was run out of town by fans and the media after 2 playoff games and "half" a period.

He will be trying to get another shot at a #1 gig, I like the Philly suggestion. I always thought Winnipeg for a short term option (1 yr contract at around 4.5)
    I expect if someone offers him a 2yr deal he settles for 4 million no questions asked.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Jedi

I believe John Gibson requires a solid back up that can carry 40% of the load. Maybe he goes and hides behind that D for a year to boost his #'s and get a better deal? You know if you go to Anh, you're getting 30 starts.

The Great One

I can see Elliott going and doing what he did in St. Louis and supporting a younger guy like in Winnipeg. Mason to Arizona is interesting and I'd be in on Amazon in that environment as he has always shown well with no competition (and I don't consider Domingue competition)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.