Dobber Sports Stud

Default Derek Stepan to ?

Where there is smoke, there is fire ?

Step himself admitted he didn't have it during the last post season

NYR go into next year with
    Zibad
    Hayes
    Miller as their centermen

not sure that sounds all that competitive but if the return is a RH Dman...
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Derek Stepan to ?

They want a top pairing RHD. That's not likely happening for step.
    Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Where there is smoke, there is fire ?

Step himself admitted he didn't have it during the last post season

NYR go into next year with
    Zibad
    Hayes
    Miller as their centermen

not sure that sounds all that competitive but if the return is a RH Dman...

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree

NY needs to improve the offer

here is the piece from the Post

http://nypost.com/2017/06/19/how-der...s-blockbuster/
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nah, the guy just turned 27 - he ain't going anywhere!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

If he does it doesn't really change my perspective of the Rangers forwards... No top top forward but enough depth that They get by - intrigued by what the return may be though as Stepan is a 27 year old who should post around 60 a season
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

yup, the feeling from NY is that Step gets paid like a 1A pivot but is better suited to 2A or even 3A championship team.

however things end up, I think he has pretty solid value and most teams could use a player like him

Dobber Sports Veteran

Intrigued by the possibilities with Carolina. I've long thought the Canes would consider moving a D-man for some help down the middle. They'd appear to have an intriguing assortment of guys they could make available to get that done regardless of whether they're pursuing a higher-end or mid-range C.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov

Dobber Sports Master

I think he stays in New York, but the Carolina rumours are interesting in that they have what the Rangers want, and Stepan isn't so old that he doesn't fit into their youth movement.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree in that Carolina makes sense. The TvR deal also strikes me as something is pending

Dobber Sports Stud

Well lets put this one to bed.

Step and Raanta for Deangelo and #7 overall

according to the New York Post, Gorton called around and tried but the "best" return in a rather scanty market was what Barroway's Coyotes offered

The Great One

But if that's the case why move him? Another move is coming for the Rangers....

Dobber Sports Stud

The reason to move him were as follows;

his NTC kicks in so it was "now or never"
    Step has shown his colors as an effective 1B center yet his cap hit will cause issues for teams competing for the cup so they dealt him for value. Considering what NY paid for Step and Raanta I would say the return isn't too shabby.

NY believes that after moving Brassard and now Stepan, the next 2 centermen can get the job done in Zibanejad and Kevin Hayes

Make no mistake this is a rebuild

With Klein and Nash coming off the books within the next week to 12 months, NY now has 30 million in cap space!

The Great One

As it stands 6 mil for a second line Centre isn't an overpayment...

Dobber Sports Stud

Ideally he is better suited for the 3rd line. He has been AVs go to center on the defensive side of the puck, yet his faceoff numbers just aren't where many of his supporters hoped they would be by this time in his career. When Brassard was in town, I think Step was often cast in the 2 spot which helped vs the other teams competition. Last season NY needed Step to step up, especially when Zibanejad went down and he didn't. He fought it, faded and could be seen staring skyward when failing to capitalize, shooting wide or just plain not putting the pill behind the netminder. This happened with regularity.

Obviously NY and just about every other team in the NHL cannot put him on a 3rd line because of the contract.

He played on the 2nd line and was effective there. He is a good player and I wish him well in Arizona. Maybe the trade will take the load he put on himself off his shoulders ? I hope so. It would be great to see him pop 20+ goals to go with 40 assists.

I agree that 6 megabucks isn't an overpayment for a 2nd line pivot, but if that were the case why was he such a tough sell ? The market indicated his value right ? I think the NTC made Gorton's sell job just that much harder.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Nah, the guy just turned 27 - he ain't going anywhere!
    Yeah, misread the tea leaves on this one! Still think he's got something left in the tank, but 'Zona!? Damn, fantasy purgatory.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket