Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Snow trades Grabovski and a 1st rounder to Vegas for McPhee to pick Kulemin

Dobber Sports Genius

Default [Rumor] Snow trades Grabovski and a 1st rounder to Vegas for McPhee to pick Kulemin

Update: #Isles likely trading Mikhail Grabovski to Vegas along with first-round pick in expansion deal, sources say: http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ampaign=buffer
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: [Rumor] Snow trades Grabovski and a 1st rounder to Vegas for McPhee to pick Kulemin

That's worth the first rounder IMO.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: [Rumor] Snow trades Grabovski and a 1st rounder to Vegas for McPhee to pick Kulemin

Both Kulemin and Grabovski have just one year left at combined $9.2M... But it does feel like a 1st round pick shouldn't be enough to take both of them.

Getting rid of those two would be huge for the Islanders. They could be really busy in the trade/FA market with extra $9M to spend.

Dobber Sports Stud

The article uses the 3rd person singular which would indicate that 1 player not being selected is the juice behind the deal.

The deal doesn't make sense for Vegas otherwise, unless they think Hickey or Mayfield as suggested will develop into something useful. McPhee is on record saying he wants to take younger players and grow the team through these kinds of "assets". Kulemin and Grabovski while NHL players do not meet that criteria. Snow has proven he is willing to pull the trigger so it should be interesting to see what is brewing there.

With the value of defensemen my guess is then its De haan who has the protection, although it would sting to lose a big center like the Warroad native Nelson to the Knights. Taking an American kid would be a marketers dream in a town like Vegas too.

Snow then swings a deal moving a defenseman such as the suggested Hamonic for a top 6 forward PLUS something else.

I agree with the premise its worth the 1st rounder, I just want to see the details first.

For both GMs this isn't their first rodeo so I expect it to be relatively reasonable. At least lets hope so.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Master

league apparently asked him to retract his statement so that the vegas expansion pick from the isles wasnt revealed (kulemin).he actually modified the article twice with the 3rd one confirming the grabovski part but leaving the actual player to be picked for expansion a guess between kuley,hickey,halak .grabbo dnq for expansion draft hence ability to officially use his name because he's part of the trade along with the 1st .

Dobber Sports Wizard

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. A 1st round pick shouldn't be enough to take two bad contracts. And if they would burn their expansion draft selection on Kulemin, then they wouldn't get Nelson or Strome either. Just doesn't make any sense. The Islanders chose to expose Nelson and Strome, so those two should be fair game. If the Islanders don't want to lose them, they should make a side deal. That should cost them a 1st+. Taking two bad contracts, that should again cost them a 1st+.

So by my estimate, the Islanders should lose Nelson or Strome, and they should give their 1st round pick (at least) to get rid of Kulemin and Grabovski. If Vegas gets anything less, then I don't understand what they're doing.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. A 1st round pick shouldn't be enough to take two bad contracts. And if they would burn their expansion draft selection on Kulemin, then they wouldn't get Nelson or Strome either. Just doesn't make any sense. The Islanders chose to expose Nelson and Strome, so those two should be fair game. If the Islanders don't want to lose them, they should make a side deal. That should cost them a 1st+. Taking two bad contracts, that should again cost them a 1st+.

So by my estimate, the Islanders should lose Nelson or Strome, and they should give their 1st round pick (at least) to get rid of Kulemin and Grabovski. If Vegas gets anything less, then I don't understand what they're doing.
    I agree. The 1st round pick should offset taking one of these two duds but it can't be enough for taking two, especially if it means losing out on drafting one of the better players available to them to help make their team better.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

It does make a bit of sense when you consider the fact that the Islanders have the 15th overall.

But I also heard they will be getting a 2nd tier prospect on top of it all.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Jedi

This makes more sense from McPhee's perspective if you consider they are both on expiring contracts and Kulemin would be a depth commodity worth adding for a playoff run, especially if Vegas retains salary. Same with Grabo, but his health is a big ?? is he ever even going to play again?

Isles are also drafting 15th, so there's that. Vegas can get a Foote, Valimaki, Andersson, Poehling, Tolvanen at that spot.

If McPhee sees this as acquiring two players that = future assets at the deadline. Makes more sense. I see one (Kulemin) and Grabo.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Kulemin + Grabo = Together Forever <3

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think its a good trade for both teams.

For NYI: More than anything, I think they have to SHOW that they are willing to spend, spend, spend to put forward a winner. THAT is the only way they keep Tavares, by surrounding him with a winning team. They basically sacrifice a 15th overall pick to save $9m in cap spending for just one year. This allows them to maybe get one very good forward (Oshie?) and keep their remaining players with the saved cap space. It also "cleans the clubhouse" by making the guys remaining in that clubhouse worthy of the money they are getting paid. And this is a bigger deal than people know... if a few guys in a clubhouse are overpaid slackers... or bad apples - guys don't want to stay on that team. Clubhouse/lockerroom is important in re-signing key guys. It's the big reason why PHI shipped out Carter & Richards back in the day.

For VEG: The trade is essentially (Ryan Strome OR Josh Bailey, I value R.Strome still more) -- for-- (15th overall & Eating $9m for one-year). [IMO, its not all that different from the Datysuk/Chyrchrun-draft pick trade, where Strome=20th overall "value" and they are upgrading 4-5 pick spots into a zone they really like and they eat some cash.]

IMO, its a perfect fit-trade for both teams.
    I think this one makes a lot more sense than some of the other "agreements".

Dobber Sports Ninja

How are Grabo and Kulemin doing anyway? Aside from the benefits from an asset management perspective Grabo and Kulemin could provide some excitement and Kulemin would increase the Russian presence to entice some free agents to come over (e.g., Dadanov, Ship, Radulov)
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Arthur Staple‏Verified account @StapeNewsday 25m25 minutes ago

Also my understanding is Nikolai Kulemin is not the designated player for Vegas to pick. Sorry for the confusion last night. #Isles
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Star

Vegas also has the responsibility of getting to the cap floor. So taking a couple bad contracts may actually be necessary for Vegas.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    It does make a bit of sense when you consider the fact that the Islanders have the 15th overall.

But I also heard they will be getting a 2nd tier prospect on top of it all.
    15th overall is not that great. It might be enough to eat two bad contracts but Brock Nelson or Ryan Strome are both worth at least that 15th overall pick. Why wouldn't Vegas just take Nelson or Strome AND then acquire the 15th overall + another piece for eating Kulemin and Grabovski's contracts.

So yes, if Vegas is drafting Nelson/Strome and then getting the 15th overall to take Kulemin and Grabovski, that makes a little sense. Maybe they get a 3rd/4th round pick for Kulemin at the deadline but Kulemin has negative value right now, so there's no reason Vegas should try to acquire him unless they're given something for their troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    For VEG: The trade is essentially (Ryan Strome OR Josh Bailey, I value R.Strome still more) -- for-- (15th overall & Eating $9m for one-year). [IMO, its not all that different from the Datysuk/Chyrchrun-draft pick trade, where Strome=20th overall "value" and they are upgrading 4-5 pick spots into a zone they really like and they eat some cash.]
    Two big differences from the Arizona trade: Chychrun was available and they really liked him, and Arizona didn't spend a single dollar on Datsyuk - they only acquired his cap hit but didn't need to pay anything. If the Vegas owner is paying $11.25M in real money, he wants to get something really good in return! No owner is crazy enough to throw that kind of money to waste. So the 15th overall is a good starting point for discussions - but they haven't even started talking about Vegas not taking Nelson or Strome; that's a completely different deal IMO.