Thread: Matheson

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Matheson

What is his expected output next year for a multi-cat league? He had some great shot totals last year for a rookie D.

I have him on my farm team and I'm wondering if I should be bringing him up next season.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    14 Person Keeper League $100 cap ($120 in season), 20% increase per year on keepers (max 12) - Yahoo HtH (7 fwd, 4 D, 2 G each week): G, A, TP, PP, PIM, SOG, W, SV%

Forwards
    : Stamkos ($15.12), Ovechkin ($13.68), Wheeler ($12.10) Backstrom ($11.52), Voracek ($9.50), Atkinson ($1.80), Nyqvist ($1.80), Kreider ($1.45)
    Defense: Doughty ($9.00),
    Gostisbehere ($7.75), Hamilton ($3.89) Dumba ($1.25) Beaulieu ($2.10) Lindholm ($1.22) Goligoski ($0.59)
    Goalies: Vasilevsky ($5.04), Hellebuyck ($1.14) Darling ($0.88) Keumper ($0.25)

Total Cap ATM: $100.73

Farm
    : Matheson, Gurianov

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Matheson

If you're planning on being at all competitive next season it makes sense to take advantage of his cheap production.
    He won't be your best D, but if he can keep the shot rates up he'll be a solid contributor.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

I think his upside is limited for two reasons:

1) Ekblad/Yandle are their main guys with Demers also in the mix.
    2) Matheson has never put up big numbers at any level. I just don't see him the same way others do.

He might be useful in your format but I don't think he'll be a difference-maker.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Novice

After winning it all a couple years ago I had to sell off a lot of assets last season as they grew too expensive - I have a number of waiver picks which will hopefully bring me back to contention, and I try to go for it every year at the outset, but it's unlikely I'll be a powerhouse team this year. I was hoping for a 30 point defenseman with decent peripherals, at a cheap price. As our players appreciate by 20% every year it's important not to bring up players from the farm too early.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    14 Person Keeper League $100 cap ($120 in season), 20% increase per year on keepers (max 12) - Yahoo HtH (7 fwd, 4 D, 2 G each week): G, A, TP, PP, PIM, SOG, W, SV%

Forwards
    : Stamkos ($15.12), Ovechkin ($13.68), Wheeler ($12.10) Backstrom ($11.52), Voracek ($9.50), Atkinson ($1.80), Nyqvist ($1.80), Kreider ($1.45)
    Gostisbehere ($7.75), Hamilton ($3.89) Dumba ($1.25) Beaulieu ($2.10) Lindholm ($1.22) Goligoski ($0.59)

Farm

Administrator

Is there any chance you can keep Matheson on the farm and target a different 30-point dman? There have to be vets available for cheap or for free considering how everyone wants the youth in keeper leagues...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Haka View Post
    After winning it all a couple years ago I had to sell off a lot of assets last season as they grew too expensive - I have a number of waiver picks which will hopefully bring me back to contention, and I try to go for it every year at the outset, but it's unlikely I'll be a powerhouse team this year. I was hoping for a 30 point defenseman with decent peripherals, at a cheap price. As our players appreciate by 20% every year it's important not to bring up players from the farm too early.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Is there any chance you can keep Matheson on the farm and target a different 30-point dman? There have to be vets available for cheap or for free considering how everyone wants the youth in keeper leagues...
    Eric's advice is what I would echo. I really like Matheson's upside, but for him to be fantasy worthy, he'll need to play on the top PP and with Ekblad AND Yandle both ahead of Matheson, he'll need a little more time.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for the feedback all. I'll endeavor to keep Matheson, along with Honka, on the farm for at least another year. I'll likely have to add to add a solid #2 D to my roster to push one of Zaitev/Dumba/Beaulieu to the bench. My league is likely doing away with PIM as a category, so I'll likely drop Zadorov, and it seems as though Carrick will not be worth keeping when he has little chance of ascending Tor's D depth. Goligoski I'll likely waive and retain at half price as an insurance option, but this pool sadly has +/- and so he'll be my #6 ideally.

Forwards

Farm

The Great One

Agree with others here... I'm probably more bullish than Eric here but with Yandle and Ekblad there I can't really see him going past 35 and even that will be tough IMO. His peripherals are nice and if Yandle had moved I'd be more keen but if you can explore other options to retain his value for future seasons then j would
    Experience is the teacher of all things.