Thread: Morgan Rielly Potential?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Morgan Rielly Potential?

What is Rielly's potential. I gave up Sam Reinhart to get him so a breakout around 40-45 points is what I was hoping for but Jake Gardiner seems to be Babcocks go-to guy for PP. What do you guys think? Will he pan out?

F: Giroux, Stamkos, Pacioretty, Marchand, Matthews, Turris, Little, Skinner, Zuccarello, Trocheck, Parise, Ehlers, Landeskog
    D: D. Keith, Werenski, Ekblad, Morgan Rielly, M. Green, R. Ellis
    G: Bobrovsky, Rinne, Elliot

Minor Team:

F: Rantanen, N. Ritchie, Bjorkstrand, C. Keller, Ho-Sang, RNH, F. Vatrano, Buchnevich, Eriksson Ek, Svechnikov, Kamenev, Rick Nash
    D:
    Sergachev, Theodore, Pulock, Jake Bean, Severson, Erik Johnson, Brodie, M. Bowey
    G: C. Anderson, S. Varlamov, Thomas Greiss

-----------
    8 Team H2H Dynasty League
    Scoring Cats: G, A, PTS, +/-, TOI, HITS, BLKS, STP, W, L, SV, SO, GAA, SV%, GW%

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Morgan Rielly Potential?

He's a hard one to peg down. His deployment last year doesn't lean toward huge offensive output. The way Babs used him in the playoffs - does lean more toward a 40+dman. He def. has 40-45 upside, he needs PP time to get there. A lot will depend on who they bring in to fill out their top 4. I probably would have kept Reinhart as I have concerns about his continued deployment with Babs, if he lets him loose, it's a good trade.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Gardiner and Zaitsev are more offensively inclined so they'll get those sheltered and productive minutes, while Rielly gets the Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Alex Goligoski treatment, with the lower production to go along with it. Long story short, if you're hoping for 40-45 points in the near future you should prepare yourself for disappointment.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Damn. Idk I saw him as having more offensive potential than J. Gardiner or Zaitsev. I realize I took a huge bet on this but damn that kinda sucks lol

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm afraid Rielly is entering Pietrangelo territory IMO, meaning that his real life value is starting to vastly exceed his fantasy value.

Rielly has 55 point upside IMO, but to get there he needs all of the PP1 time. Right now, he is the Leafs most responsible top pairing dman in the defensive zone and therefore he is getting the the tough minutes and his fantasy numbers suffer. It's great for the Leafs as he is becoming an all-situation defender, but since they have more one dimensional guys in Zaitsev and Gardiner it means Rielly gets the less favorable matchups.

I think he follows a similar trajectory as Ryan Ellis, mid 30's points wise for a while but the 50+ breakout potential will be there depending on the circumstances.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Gardiner and Zaitsev are more offensively inclined so they'll get those sheltered and productive minutes, while Rielly gets the Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Alex Goligoski treatment, with the lower production to go along with it. Long story short, if you're hoping for 40-45 points in the near future you should prepare yourself for disappointment.
    I'd have to agree with everyone above so far - and apologise for repeated remarks.

Rielly is the best all-around Dman they have - he is their Doughty/AP/Josi minus all the PP time. Gardiner is a pure puck moving dman who will get the lion's share of PP time with Zaitsev (RHD).

In the long run, however, Mo's talents will force Babs and co to give him his share of quality PP time as well. You might not see him break into 40+ points for another season or two but it is bound to happen sooner or later.

He is only 23 years old. A lot of D don't come into their own offensively until well into their mid 20's-early 30s - see Brent Burns.

FWIW - I had him in both of my leagues (in sig) but just moved him in the 2nd league for V Rask, K Connor and 4th overall pick. I've got enough faith in the lad to hold onto him in my main league.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with pretty much everything stated above. The Ryan Ellis example is perfect as far as point projections go although I do think he will have a better career by the time it's said and done.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks a lot for the insight guys. At this point should I hold and see what happens? Or should I consider shopping him for a forward? What kind of return should I be looking at?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by flyersnducks88 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the insight guys. At this point should I hold and see what happens? Or should I consider shopping him for a forward? What kind of return should I be looking at?
    I hold... if you move him, I think you're looking at a net loss. I doubt you get a Reinhart in return.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Would any of you deal your Rielly straight up for Klefbom? I own a bunch of Oilers so adding Kelfbom would be nice. Not sure if the other GM would make the deal but pondering making an offer. Thoughts?
    H2H, 12 Teams, Full Keeper
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT
    Goalies: GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C - McDavid, Kadri, Zibanejad, Stastny
    LW - Pacioretty, Hoffman, Brown
    RW - Pastrnak, Radulov, Neal
    D - Letang, Ellis, Edler, Muzzin, Orlov, Weber
    G - Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Talbot

FARM:
    C - McLeod
    LW - Bellows, DeBrusk
    RW - Aberg
    D - Makar, Nurse
    G - Sorokin, Soderstrom

Dobber Sports Monster

Rielly's best is yet to come. If you deal him now, expect to get a return you'd demand for a 40-45 point player, which is what he should become. He has had to shoulder a lot of defensive responsibility under Babcock but he is capable of growing into a steady 40 pt Ryan Suter type (in terms of production). He is capable of more than that, I think, but he may not go down that road because he is relied upon in a lot of critical defensive situations.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by fantasy junkie View Post
    Would any of you deal your Rielly straight up for Klefbom? I own a bunch of Oilers so adding Kelfbom would be nice. Not sure if the other GM would make the deal but pondering making an offer. Thoughts?
    Rielly for Klefbom? Yes... most certainly I would make That deal without hesitation. Klef is the Gardiner (I thought I better) on that Oiler team. Should have more fantasy value!

The Great One

You sure Havanna I'm not so convinced

in in all seriousness I prefer Kelf for boxy season and if he can take advantage of the Sekera injury it may be from here on out every season
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    You sure Havanna I'm not so convinced

in in all seriousness I prefer Kelf for boxy season and if he can take advantage of the Sekera injury it may be from here on out every season

Yeah you are!!!

(also think Reimer will flourish more in Florida this year than Grubauer as the 3rd or 4th in Vegas... ) ... still time to talk

but I digress... what does "boxy" mean/typo of? Next? If so, then I'm definitely on board with Sulla in that the Sekera injury could provide a huge opportunity for Kelfbom to distance himself as "THE GUY" on the blue line in Edmonton. Although, I already think he's there.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree with what the posters before me have said in terms of guessing at how to read the blue line situation in Toronto. Granted, that could change quickly if TOR makes some moves to improve the overall quality of their D-men. But for that reason, I moved Rielly at the end of last season to get some help up front.

It was part of a larger deal, but to give you a sense the main pieces were me sending out Rielly and getting back Hall. But as part of it, I also made sure to get back Gardiner in that deal -- a relatively inexpensive throw in who, for the reasons other have stated, I think *could* end up giving me roughly equal production to Rielly, but with less fanfare.

Like I said, it was part of a larger deal. But Rielly was definitely the primary piece from the other GMs perspective. So my point is that while expectations (to the extent people had them) of him becoming one of the super high flying offensive D-men might be coming back to Earth a bit, I'd be quite careful not to undersell here. Rielly still has significant value and I'd hold him until you get the deal you're excited about accepting.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov