Thread: Need help with goalies

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Need help with goalies

Hey everyone,

Need some expertise from all the guru's on here. We are having an upcoming expansion draft in our full keeper league. I currently have three goalies (as do the other 14 teams). They are:

1. Cam Talbot
    2. Tuuka Rask
    3. Jonathan Quick

Now my issue is that all teams are only allowed to protect two goalies leaving one exposed for expansion. I am so torn on who to leave unprotected. I can trade one one prior to the draft for assets in other areas but I will then need a replacement goalie after the draft via trade (unlikely) or free agents (really only scraps left). It is worth mentioning the two expansion teams will be drafting three goalies a piece for a total of six. So just under half the league will be losing a goalie... so its almost guarnteed I lose whoever I do not protect (unless I make a trade... we also allow trading with the two new teams to not draft specific players but not sure I can swing this deal.) So long story short worst case scenario - Who do I leave exposed?

Thanks everyone - looking for your replies
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague
    16 team H2H Full Keeper w/ 20man prospects
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hits,BLK,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,OL,GA,ShL (2.5x for defensive points)
    SBFHL Champion: 2013-14, 2017-18

Main Roster
    F:Tavares/Malkin/Benn/Pavelski/Tarasenko
    /Granlund/Parise/Dubois/DeBrincat/Ritchie/Chiasson/Marleau/
    D:Hedman/Subban/Doughty/Rielly/Oleksiak/C. Miller
    G:Rask/Quick

Prospect Roster
    F​: Frederic/Foo/Heponiemi/Mantha/Ho-Sang/Groulx/Safin/Hawryluk/Goldobin/Roslovic/Korshkov/Cj. Smith/Bokk/McBain/Greer/Marody
    D: Jokiharju/Perunovich/M. Phiillips/Weegar
    G: Gillies/Brossoit/Wedgewood/Eriksson EK

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Need help with goalies

I would expose Quick here...or try to deal him. I would guess you have one of if not the best threesome of goalies in your league so making a deal here shouldn't be hard.

The Great One

With those categories, I think Talbot is a must keep even though he's the least proven. Best if you probably ask for offers on Rask and Quick and see if Rask would nab you a ton more in return, in which case I might deal him instead of Rask since I think Rask won't be tons better than Quick. But if the offers for Rask aren't clearly better, then just take what you can get for Quick.

Question - what happens to a team if it exposes a goalie in expansion but that goalie isn't taken? Can a team then keep three netminders? Do you need three active goalies, or just two? With 16 total teams there won't be a lot of goalies left, but if you really don't "need" three, then having three would be a bit of overkill other than to be able to trade from strength. And even if you do need three, many other teams will he diluted since that means 48 total goalies are active. In the end I think you would lose one of these guys to expansion so the focus has to be on getting the most you can in return, but just don't expect a lot since other GMs will know they can just deny your trade request and you'll lose a goalie for nothing.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree that I would try and trade Quick but if not, he's my drop from those three.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Question - what happens to a team if it exposes a goalie in expansion but that goalie isn't taken? Can a team then keep three netminders? Do you need three active goalies, or just two? With 16 total teams there won't be a lot of goalies left, but if you really don't "need" three, then having three would be a bit of overkill other than to be able to trade from strength. And even if you do need three, many other teams will he diluted since that means 48 total goalies are active. In the end I think you would lose one of these guys to expansion so the focus has to be on getting the most you can in return, but just don't expect a lot since other GMs will know they can just deny your trade request and you'll lose a goalie for nothing.
    If the goalie isn't taken in expansion then you luck out and keep all three. We roster three goalies at all times, no less and no more. We have two active goalies on a given night with one reserve. So Yes, you are correct there won't be many goalies left to pick out of the free agent pool. Great point on being diluted. After all said and done the expansion teams with three powerful goalies will all lose one so we will have two and that will level the playing field with the other teams. The expansion teams may actually benifit and become the strongest teams when it comes to goalies... but not sure how to prevent that since they need to fill a full roster.

I will try and move Quick since that seems to be the common consensus of who to trade. Goalies are the most valuable position in this league so hopefully I can fetch a decent return.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hits,BLK,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,OL,GA,ShL (2.5x for defensive points)

Main Roster

Prospect Roster
    F​: Frederic/Foo/Heponiemi/Mantha/Ho-Sang/Groulx/Safin/Hawryluk/Goldobin/Roslovic/Korshkov/Cj. Smith/Bokk/McBain/Greer/Marody

Dobber Sports Giant

I'd keep Rask and Quick and trade the highest perceived value tender here in Talbot. If you all protect 2, I'm sure Talbot will be someone's top goalie or 2nd at worst so he can probably fetch you a nice return. Just make sure to include that team's worst tender in return as a throw-in and expose him. I'd be very content in rolling with Rask and Quick come next year.

You can also keep Talbot and trade one of Quick or Rask (I value them as being pretty even) but I doubt they fetch you a return as good as what Talbot can give you. Keep in mind, Talbot just has last year to ''prove'' his eliteness. The other 2 have been top tenders for many seasons and they are still in their prime so I'm banking that they can give you solid numbers for the next few seasons at minimum!

Rolling the dice on exposing one of your 3 will most likely bite you in the butt; you will lose the exposed one as your 3 are in the top goalie tiers of any league. I feel you have to make a move here to at least get something in return...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I'd keep Rask and Quick and trade the highest perceived value tender here in Talbot. If you all protect 2, I'm sure Talbot will be someone's top goalie or 2nd at worst so he can probably fetch you a nice return. Just make sure to include that team's worst tender in return as a throw-in and expose him. I'd be very content in rolling with Rask and Quick come next year.

You can also keep Talbot and trade one of Quick or Rask (I value them as being pretty even) but I doubt they fetch you a return as good as what Talbot can give you. Keep in mind, Talbot just has last year to ''prove'' his eliteness. The other 2 have been top tenders for many seasons and they are still in their prime so I'm banking that they can give you solid numbers for the next few seasons at minimum!

Rolling the dice on exposing one of your 3 will most likely bite you in the butt; you will lose the exposed one as your 3 are in the top goalie tiers of any league. I feel you have to make a move here to at least get something in return...
    Interesting point of view Bass, and thanks for the opinion on the topic. I think that would be a hard pill to swallow for me moving or exposing Talbot... even though hes the least proven I think he's going to benefit from an up and coming Oilers team. If you look at the roster in my signature thats my current team. I'd like to acquire a younger stud player and/or prospects depending what I can get. Like you said I may not get as much for Quick/Rask but I think Talbot well rise above the other two within the upcomming years...

Another option is just say all three are available see who league members target what goalie and what they're willing to offer. A few non-expansion teams are in ROUGH shape with goalies.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster