Thread: Derrick Pouliot

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Derrick Pouliot

Just acquired Pouliot and the 13th overall pick in this draft for a 1st-round pick in 2018 (probably 8th-10th overall), and the 68th this year (worth basically nothing). It's a deep dynasty league, in my signature.

Thoughts on Pouliot? Is he still capable of being a top-4 offensive defenseman? Besides injury, what's been holding him back?

The Great One

Default Re: Derrick Pouliot

I think he has that potential outside of Pitts - they have soured on him massively and wouldn't surprise me to see him in a VGK uniform come next season. There are a few more red flags than there was 12 months ago when you consider how ravaged the Pens blue line was and he still couldn't land a spot
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Let me bump this thread because I'm a Pouliot owner and WTF is going on with him...

Pittsburgh has not faith in him and they don't even seem to want to trade him or cut him loose. Not even sure there's a market for him. Sounds like everyone as given up.

His value is at all time low and I would have to give him up for nothing, but I wont.

Anyone else like me ?

Not sure what to do.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Master

I'm holding just because I can. It doesn't look good at this point if he can't be out the cast that took PIT to the final and won it all. Yes he is only 23 but by now he should be entering his prime years. Injury has derailed him somewhat but we may have a real bust on our hands soon. Too bad as I gave up quite a bit to draft him when he was a rising prospect but it's all shots in the dark.

The fact that they qualified him to me suggests he has one last chance and they will probably trade him for a draft pick sometime next season if he shows no progress after this summer. Last year was the biggest summer of his life but this summer is the biggest summer of his life.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I am obviously in a similar position, but I bought very low. The common perception of him seems to be he's useless in PIT's view. He was hurt coming out of camp last year, so who knows how many games he may have gotten. This was after Rutherford spoke highly of him, which may have come with alterior motives (boosting his confidence, setting the bar higher, etc) but he wouldn't have blatantly lied either. Look at this year's crop of highly-drafted defenseman... there seems to be demand in the league for the skills Pouliot has. There's still time IMO.

Administrator

I can't see him being more than a depth scorer if he makes it.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

If Pouliot was going to make it, he'd have made it by now. He's gone from a can't miss, sure thing guy to at best a longshot to make a meaningful impact. At this point, he's more Joe Morrow than not.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

I sold him over a year ago because I noticed he was passed over on a couple call ups. fingers crossed he lights up first half of AHL season and there's value to dump him for something.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

so strange considering he never really got a shot at the NHL. His AHL numbers were always decent, and I remember last year reading that he worked really hard in the off-season to get into the best shape of his life, but then he got hurt early into the season and after he recovered he was buried in the minors.

We will never know, but considering the struggles the Pens had with injuries to their defense, and still never called on Pouliot, I think he is pretty much done with the organization. I mean, I haven't even heard if they qualified him. For all I know, he could be a pending UFA.

Regardless, I don't see any value with him.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

[QUOTE=SeaDawg;1774609]so strange considering he never really got a shot at the NHL. His AHL numbers were always decent, and I remember last year reading that he worked really hard in the off

EDIT: Just saw that he was qualified. A bit surprised by that, to be honest. I still don't have much faith in him, though.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I do not think Pouliot will ever be a regular NHLer. He's an absolute disaster in his own zone.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    He's an absolute disaster in his own zone.
    So far, definitely. The game looks too fast for him on the defensive side. I don't know if that's something he can overcome.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

Anything is possible I guess but I wouldn't count on it. Plus now that his status as a former 1st round pick and top prospect is worn off it'll be even more difficult for him to get opportunities.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

With the revolving door on Dmen in Pitts this summer... I think this is his final shot with the big Pens.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Daley announcing that he's leaving no matter what kinda helps. Holy man is this his last chance or what eh..
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin