Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have picks 3-6-8 in this year's draft. Help me craft a strategy

Dobber Sports Stud

Default I have picks 3-6-8 in this year's draft. Help me craft a strategy

For the team in my signature. I'm a few years away from being competitive but I've amassed a nice little bunch of high end prospects and first rounders (6 next year, 2 in 2019 and 2 in 2020).

I'm assuming Nico and Patrick will go 1-2 in my league's draft this year and after that it's wide open. If you had picks 3-6-8, who would you target and where? I want to get at least one Dman and, considering the lack of a clear-cut winner in the Glass/Villardi/Middlestadt trio, does it make sense to reach for a Dman at 3 and just grad whoever is left of the aforementioned forwards at 6?

Would love to hear some thoughts on how you guys would play this. I'm really looking for the guys with the highest upside. Basically I'm ok taking 3 home run swings here.

Thanks!
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: I have picks 3-6-8 in this year's draft. Help me craft a strategy

If I were you, I'd move towards ending your rebuild phase. Eich,Mcd,Mathews, and Mac is a heck of a group. You've got so many prospects you're bursting at the seams. I'd be looking to shop those picks and a prospect or two to shore up your D and in goal. With that many 1st and prospects you might be stuck in a continual rebuild. I'd shift into acquiring proven talent.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bstbullies View Post
    If I were you, I'd move towards ending your rebuild phase. Eich,Mcd,Mathews, and Mac is a heck of a group. You've got so many prospects you're bursting at the seams. I'd be looking to shop those picks and a prospect or two to shore up your D and in goal. With that many 1st and prospects you might be stuck in a continual rebuild. I'd shift into acquiring proven talent.
    +1 to this. Strike now. Don't be that team in your league that's always after the next young guy, always rebuilding.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm in the exact same boat here, but I'm leaning towards forward at 3. I highly doubt that both D (at this point Heiskanen and Makar from consensus) would go at 4 and 5. Worst case for you is that both players go and you will end up with two of the above instead of one... not a bad scenario at all.

I agree with above that in your scenario it would be good to package a couple picks for something that helps you now. But I like gambling as well to grab a young guy and letting their value grow. If anything you could deal a guy like Walman, Roslovic who have done well and get what you need.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Stud

The thing with this particular league is that the top teams are deep. I had a stronger team going into last season and realized pretty quickly that I was likely still going to finish in the middle due to my lack of depth and figured the best way to compete for me was to start dealing some of my proven guys for packages of 1-2 prospects plus a first round pick or two. I'm at the point now where I've acquired enough young assets and picks to be competitive in 2-3 years. If I started dealing my picks for proven guys I'd be right back to where I started, which is a team that is fighting for a spot in the middle. It's a straight points league too, not H2H so no playoffs where anyone can get hot at the right time and surprise.

So the optimal strategy now is load up on youth (which is highly coveted in my league) and as my young D guys start hitting their prime, look to move some of that youth, which will have gone up in value as the hype around each guy grows, to get the pieces needed to round out my roster and start collecting championships. My top 4 guys are still 2-3 years from hitting the start of their primes anyway.

So, assuming I'm keeping the picks (which is the plan unless someone blows me away), who do you take 3-6-8?
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd grab the best two forwards with 3 and 6 (for me it's Vilardi at 3 and then who knows how it goes at 4 & 5) and at 8, if you REALLY want a D, I'd go with Liljegren there. I can see him being something similar to Fowler or even Chychrun from last year where he slides a bit in the NHL draft but turns out that teams should have grabbed him earlier. If Makar is still there at 8 then he's your guy but there's nothing wrong with Liljegren at 8 IMO if a D is important to you.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd grab the best two forwards with 3 and 6 (for me it's Vilardi at 3 and then who knows how it goes at 4 & 5) and at 8, if you REALLY want a D, I'd go with Liljegren there. I can see him being something similar to Fowler or even Chychrun from last year where he slides a bit in the NHL draft but turns out that teams should have grabbed him earlier. If Makar is still there at 8 then he's your guy but there's nothing wrong with Liljegren at 8 IMO if a D is important to you.
    Not a big believer in Makar or Heiskanen?
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points

Dobber Sports Initiate

3-Mittelstadt
    6-Makar
    8-Yamamoto

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    Not a big believer in Makar or Heiskanen?
    As I said, if Makar is there at 8 then he's your guy. I wouldnt take him at 3 or 6. I think there are better forwards and D will usually slide in fantasy drafts anyway depending on your league setup. Heiskanen is not someone I would draft for fantasy. I personally would be more than happy to let someone else draft him. I just don't know if there's great fantasy upside. Tons of real-life upside but limited in fantasy, especially leagues that focus on points.

IMO, 8 is too early for Liljegren as well but if you are hell-bent on getting a D, one of Makar or Liljegren at 8 is how I'd play it if I were you. Makar first if he's there. If he goes at 7 then I'd snag Liljegren just to please your need/desire for a D.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Have to disagree with the guys who think you are ready to move out of the deep rebuild and should try to compete now. Your team is pretty top-heavy. Four awesome Fs, 4 really nice looking young D, then honestly quite a bit of mediocrity after that. You need more quality Fs. Eichel, Mack, McDavid, Meier, Matthews are the only Fs on your team that I have any great degree of confidence in. Not excited about any of your other Fs chances of turning into something good. You start 12 guys there so you are lacking quantity and quality after the guys I mentioned earlier. Thats still 7 spots you need to fill. Not sure why guys like Yakupov and Pulkinnen are on your roster. They are proven duds and should be on someone else's team or the free agent pile in your league.

I like Klingberg, Theodore, Sergachev and Provorov a lot, I think your D will be in good shape pretty soon. Dont think you necessarily need to draft a D, especially out of this year's class. Your #1 priority though, is G. Wow, get to work there. You need to be diligently working on trades to shore up that spot. Its the main reason I think moving into competition stage from rebuild stage is a futile idea. Maybe if you are lucky Grubauer will end up as the starting G in Vegas, and Mrazek will rapidly get himself unfuct. Perhaps he can find his game with more PT, Vegas could take a Detroit G and end the 3-headed thing. You may even end up with both Vegas goalies after the expansion draft. Whatever happens, you need to get some more talent and production into your crease before you will be truly ready to compete.

If I was you, I would go best available F at 3, and at 6, then take a D if you really think you need to at 8. If any good Fs happened to drop to 8 I might just blow off D entirely. It will be a lengthy period of time before any of the Ds in this entry draft are contributing significant fantasy numbers. Maybe you can trade the pick for a young D that is closer to producing.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Have to disagree with the guys who think you are ready to move out of the deep rebuild and should try to compete now. Your team is pretty top-heavy. Four awesome Fs, 4 really nice looking young D, then honestly quite a bit of mediocrity after that. You need more quality Fs. Eichel, Mack, McDavid, Meier, Matthews are the only Fs on your team that I have any great degree of confidence in. Not excited about any of your other Fs chances of turning into something good. You start 12 guys there so you are lacking quantity and quality after the guys I mentioned earlier. Thats still 7 spots you need to fill. Not sure why guys like Yakupov and Pulkinnen are on your roster. They are proven duds and should be on someone else's team or the free agent pile in your league. I like Klingberg, Theodore, Sergachev and Provorov a lot, I think your D will be in good shape pretty soon. Dont think you necessarily need to draft a D, especially out of this year's class. Your #1 priority though, is G. Wow, get to work there. You need to be diligently working on trades to shore up that spot. Its the main reason I think moving into competition stage from rebuild stage is a futile idea. Maybe if you are lucky Grubauer will end up as the starting G in Vegas, and Mrazek will rapidly get himself unfuct. Perhaps he can find his game with more PT, Vegas could take a Detroit G and end the 3-headed thing. You may even end up with both Vegas goalies after the expansion draft. Whatever happens, you need to get some more talent and production into your crease before you will be truly ready to compete.

If I was you, I would go best available F at 3, and at 6, then take a D if you really think you need to at 8. If any good Fs happened to drop to 8 I might just blow off D entirely. It will be a lengthy period of time before any of the Ds in this entry draft are contributing significant fantasy numbers. Maybe you can trade the pick for a young D that is closer to producing.
    That's an interesting take. I know I'm weak at goalie but older veteran goalies can be had for relatively cheap in my league so I figure I'll shore that position up if need be in a year or two when I'm closer to competing.

I'm not opposed to the idea of going F, F, F in the draft. My only hesitation is passing on Makar if he's available at 6 since a lot of the reviews I've read seem to indicate that he might be a generational offensive Dman. I keep hearing the Karlsson comparison. I get that no one is Karlsson but if this guy becomes a 60 point dman isn't he just about a sure thing to be more valuable overall than any forward in this group?
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points

Dobber Sports Sage

Bear in mind also, a lot of questions will be answered after the Entry Draft happens in a couple of weeks, so this is a thread we will revisit. I have the #2, #5 and #8 picks in my draft so I am in a similar situation. I am not rebuilding but my picks are in a similar spot as yours.

If Makar was drafted by COL at #4 it would bump up my estimation of him. Not sure I am buying the "generational" tag on him. But if COL takes him he could be in the NHL immediately.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Tfan5211 View Post
    3-Mittelstadt
    6-Makar
    8-Yamamoto
    +100 to this.
    It all depends how the draft goes. Mittelstadt could drop to bottom 10 and makar could be 4, but those two should be your top guys. I love Yamamoto but he may slip to the second round in the NHL draft wherein you could trade down and get later two picks to grab him. Or just offer a late 2018 one for him if he is still available past pick 20.
    Other notable picks that you could get if both M&M slip, or these players could slip on their own past M&M:

- Next forward I would grab before Yamamoto is Pettersson
    - Liljegren is a great Dman to have as well if both Makar and Heiskanen are gone (I am not too high on Heis) - Others are: Brannstrom or Foote but you could get them later (ie. trade down a bit)
    - Tolvanen could be a good pick at 8, along with Necas, Glass and Tippett.
    - Again if you want Yamamoto depending on where he is drafted The above mentioned players may be a better fit as if they are 1st round picks (vs him potentially being a 2nd round pick) they will have a better chance to make the NHL
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    +100 to this.
    It all depends how the draft goes. Mittelstadt could drop to bottom 10 and makar could be 4, but those two should be your top guys. I love Yamamoto but he may slip to the second round in the NHL draft wherein you could trade down and get later two picks to grab him. Or just offer a late 2018 one for him if he is still available past pick 20.
    Other notable picks that you could get if both M&M slip, or these players could slip on their own past M&M:

- Next forward I would grab before Yamamoto is Pettersson
    - Liljegren is a great Dman to have as well if both Makar and Heiskanen are gone (I am not too high on Heis) - Others are: Brannstrom or Foote but you could get them later (ie. trade down a bit)
    - Tolvanen could be a good pick at 8, along with Necas, Glass and Tippett.
    - Again if you want Yamamoto depending on where he is drafted The above mentioned players may be a better fit as if they are 1st round picks (vs him potentially being a 2nd round pick) they will have a better chance to make the NHL

I like it too but knowing my league Makar won't make it to 6th. The guy picking ahead of me at 5 has a huge hard on for Dmen. Knowing that, would you grab Makar at 3 and then settle for a guy like Glass or Petterson at 6 or is Middlestadt a guy that is worth "losing Makar" over? I guess my biggest question is really, if you could only have one of Makar or Middlestadt, which would you choose?

And yes, I know this is all hypothetical for now since we don't know where these guys get drafted. If Makar goes to a team like Arizona, for example, he loses a lot of value in my eyes compared to him going somewhere like Colorado.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Bear in mind also, a lot of questions will be answered after the Entry Draft happens in a couple of weeks, so this is a thread we will revisit. I have the #2, #5 and #8 picks in my draft so I am in a similar situation. I am not rebuilding but my picks are in a similar spot as yours.

If Makar was drafted by COL at #4 it would bump up my estimation of him. Not sure I am buying the "generational" tag on him. But if COL takes him he could be in the NHL immediately.
    I'd agree with this estimation. Makar at #4 would be a better fit than Heiskanen at #3 to Dallas, and could be worthy of putting him on your radar as high as your 3 pick. Otherwise it seems like Vilardi or Glass at 3, D at 6, then your pick of F at 8.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+