Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: U.S. prisoner in North Korea to be released

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: U.S. prisoner in North Korea to be released

I know Dennis Rodman just went to North Korea for what? the fourth time? Perhaps he convinced them to send him home. Saving the world one blocked shot at a time.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Obviously NK didn't want to keep paying to keep a vegetable alive, and they didn't want to deal with the bad PR of killing him.

I read that his brain damage is consistent with what might be caused by a cardiac arrest, leading to lack of sufficient blood/oxygen supply to the brain. I wonder what they put him through to cause something like that.

It was horrible enough when this kid had to lose 15 years of his life to hard labor in a foreign country due to a stupid mistake and subsequent governmental overreaction. Now he's lost all of it, for practical intents and purposes.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm pretty annoyed with the parents for bagging on the Obama Administration for not bringing him home sooner and showering the Trump Administration with praise for doing so.

First, it's not as if any U.S. administration can make the North Koreans do anything that they don't want to do, without having to give them a whole lot of things that they don't deserve and likely shouldn't have.

Second, it's a bit like bagging on the paramedics for not saving your kid after he got run over by a semi while attempting to cross an Interstate on foot.

Any American who voluntarily travels to places like North Korea or Somalia or Iran or Syria should do so fully aware that they will instantly become targets of regimes with animus against your country and are willing to resort to any pretext no matter how slight in order to use you as a propaganda pawn or for ransom or both.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports All-Star

^agree with this. I'm not sure if Trump had anything to do with bringing him back, otherwise I'm sure he would have tweeted about it more than once. People do need to take this regime seriously.

The Great One

Such a sad story. I'm a bit surprised at how mean some people are in this thread given that this kid is likely never going to wake up. Everyone does dumb stuff or things you regret. It's not like he deserved to die over this...

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    ^agree with this. I'm not sure if Trump had anything to do with bringing him back, otherwise I'm sure he would have tweeted about it more than once. People do need to take this regime seriously.
    Indeed, I should have couched that with "...assuming that (Trump) actually had anything to do with it at all."

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Such a sad story. I'm a bit surprised at how mean some people are in this thread given that this kid is likely never going to wake up. Everyone does dumb stuff or things you regret. It's not like he deserved to die over this...
    I have absolutely no idea why it should surprise you. The United States' relationship with North Korea has been more or less the status quo for about 65 years now. If anything, its become even worse under the latest psychopath running the show over there.

It's neither "mean" nor is it wrong to criticize what can only be described as reckless folly on his part, especially when the consequences are so dire. This guy was old enough to know better, and if he didn't know better, then he had absolutely no business being over there.

It's not that I'm letting North Korea of the hook on this, either. At the moment that they took him into custody for their own draconian reasons, they assumed the responsibility for his physical health and well-being. I don't want to hear about any "botulism", that just makes them seem inept in addition to being sadists. They should have been treating him like a Faberge egg.

I just know who isn't responsible for his plight in the least, and that is the United States of America or it's government. His parents would do well to remember that.

EDIT: Also, I seriously doubt that his parents are reading this thread, so I'm not in the position of having to spare anyone's feelings.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    didn't mean to sound "mean" or sound like he deserved this because he did not even if he stole that thing or not. the more i look into the story there are my doubts the guy in the surveillance camera is even him. just more or less shocked at the gravity of this situation and how it got out of hand real quick.

Dobber Sports Expert

Propaganda

Dobber Sports Giant

Sad end to this story as the detained student ended up passing away...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-stud...says-1.3466668
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Sad end to this story as the detained student ended up passing away...
    Maybe it's for the better, rather than "live" in a vegetative state.

Dobber Sports Icon

It's pretty disgusting that this happened but North Korea doing something like this is hardly out of character.

Which begs the question - what the F@CK are university students doing on a field trip to North f@cking Korea? Goofed off in the wrong hotel there man, this ain't Cancun.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Master

And of course Trump was quick to blame the previous administration. I wish North Korea would take him for awhile.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Monster

sad story all around. for the past year i would periodically search up his story and see if there were any updates. he seemed like a good kid.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    And of course Trump was quick to blame the previous administration. I wish North Korea would take him for awhile.
    Don't we all? He actually said that Warmbier should have been returned the same day. Yeah, because thats what would have happened under his administration.

When he was elected, I though okay, lets give him a chance, but he hasn't made a senisible comment before or since. I really don't think he will get through one year as president. You at least need common sense and he has absolutley none. What a mess.