Thread: should i select Keller before a d- men?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Question should i select Keller before a d- men?

hi!....i have the 9th pick overall in a keeper ca space with 16 teams....my offense (12 fowards lock with contract) i can select 3 more fowards but they will be spares (i figure that my 12 players gonna be the best in points if i chose 15 total foward), my defence (4 d-men are lock with contract) i need 2 more regular d-men an i can select 2 more for spares. should i select Keller before a d-men because of his high potential or should i select a regular d-men like Skjei or Hanifin or Montour? (i don't have much cap space.....i have to select players with -1m $..except for my goalie(i want to keep some cash for a good goalie like Frederik Andersen)) what do you think?
    Keeper dynasty cap hit (same as NHL)
    16 teams 4 divisions, 2 conference. G=1 A=1, PTS only

19 skaters min. 12 foward, 6 defence and 1 goalie...max 25 skaters, 3 foward spares, 2 def spares and 1 goalie spare.....19 best pts count

Players lock in 2017-2018 and the year remeaning in my team
    fowards:

-P.Kane 2
    -Eichel 1
    -Matthews 2
    -Aho 2

Defences:
    -Werenski 1
    -Provorov 1
    -Butcher 2
    -Pulock 1
    -
    -

Goalies:
    -

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: should i select Keller before a d- men?

If Keller is available, take him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Take keller
    there will be lots of cheap d man to grab later.
    12 team with 15 keepers weekly H2H categories (G,A,P.P.P,S.O.G,F.W,Hits,Blks,Pims, G.A.A,SV%,Wins and S.O)
    C/W Schenn Lindholm Keller Namestnikov PLD schmaltz
    C Giroux Stamkos Schiefele Kadri Brassard
    W Gaudreau Okposo Mantha Gallagher Rantanen beauviller
    D Byfuglien Josi Keith Jones Gudas Ellis
    G Schnieder ​Hellebuyck
    I.R Shaw
    Prospects (25 games or less)
    Gilles

Dobber Sports Master

Keller has so much potential that unless one of the dmen available is a Victor Hedman type guy (high draft pick dman) then I would take Keller.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

As long as you know there is a trade market for Keller - if your other GMs are sharks then you may flip Keller for an even worse D man which would be my concern
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with everyone advocating for Keller. Best player available, and all that...

If you don't need him, I'm sure someone in a 'rebuilding mode' will be willing to give up a solid D for him so start shopping him around to those GMs first.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Giant

I get the $1mil. salary part but can you list the top 10-15 players available regardless of their cap hit?

As it stands, I'd take Keller from that list but Hanifin a close 2nd considering your defensive needs. I get that you can eventually flip Keller for a better D but if your cap is an issue, you may not be able to fit that trading piece as easily as you would with one of the current d-men available.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sage

I'd be trying my best to land Keller before he is no longer acquirable.

Montour would be my backup plan from the list of dmen you mentioned... although... I believe you'd be able to land an even better dman altogether for Keller straight up (if you want to go that route as well).
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    I'd be trying my best to land Keller before he is no longer acquirable.

Montour would be my backup plan from the list of dmen you mentioned
    This is where my head is at.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket