Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keeper League - Goalie Choices

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Keeper League - Goalie Choices

To further the consensus, I also choose Talbot.

I'm trying to make a point to just hold off on any major decision and let the next few weeks happen. Every single team is going to feel the upcoming changes and that will have domino effects into other positions.
    ... I have a hard time thinking it still wouldn't be Talbot, but it could depend on who Edmonton loses in the expansion / potential new acquisitions.

Dobber Sports Giant

Darn, hate to be the party pooper, but I'd go Gibson here; especially if the savings allow you to draft a better forward or D.

Just for kicks, can you list 4-5 players that go for $20 vs a few that go for $10? From the looks of it, you have guys like:
    Kucherov ($16)
    Laine ($15)
    Marner ($11)
    Burns ($26)
    Risto ($11)

You carry 23 players and you have a cap of $300; an average of $13 per player. That extra $10 can surely bridge the gap between Talbot and Gibson when you are selecting an elite player vs a ''good'' one come draft time.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Darn, hate to be the party pooper, but I'd go Gibson here; especially if the savings allow you to draft a better forward or D.

Just for kicks, can you list 4-5 players that go for $20 vs a few that go for $10? From the looks of it, you have guys like:
    Kucherov ($16)
    Laine ($15)
    Marner ($11)
    Burns ($26)
    Risto ($11)

You carry 23 players and you have a cap of $300; an average of $13 per player. That extra $10 can surely bridge the gap between Talbot and Gibson when you are selecting an elite player vs a ''good'' one come draft time.

Great question Bass, thanks for taking the time to think through my post and dilemma. The players I am keeping are much lower than I would expect them to be drafted for at auction. We dont deal in minors, so the first year a player hits the NHL is the first year we can draft them. Most keepers were drafted at a low cost before coming into the player they are now. For example, Kucherov was scooped off waivers when he started putting up the points. A player added from waivers defaults to a $1 salary for the season, and we add $5 for every year kept. This will be the 4th year he has been a keeper (hence his low cost).

I drafted Laine and Marner at $10 and $6 last year, which was amazing (now $5 more each). Most GMs thought I was nuts for going after Marner, thinking he would get sent down.
    Talbot was drafted for cheap a few years ago before moving to Edmonton as a starter. Similar case for Gibson. Burns is a more expensive keeper at $26, but worth it imo.

At draft day, top forwards and goalies go for ~$30-$40. Extra sexy picks like Crosby, McDavid, Price, Holtby go for $50 or more. Talbot is a great deal at $21 given his Tier..but so is Gibson at $11.

$10 can be all then difference in a 40-50 pt player and a 60-65 pt player, all depends how much $$ you have left vs others. Late round steals happen every year, so I try not to blow my wad right away.

My goal is to assemble the best set of core keepers for the lowest cost going into draft. Talbot is probably the answer here, but I could technically keep Gibson, save money, and hold him for cheaper/longer.
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by BranDOOM View Post
    Great question Bass, thanks for taking the time to think through my post and dilemma. The players I am keeping are much lower than I would expect them to be drafted for at auction. We dont deal in minors, so the first year a player hits the NHL is the first year we can draft them. Most keepers were drafted at a low cost before coming into the player they are now. For example, Kucherov was scooped off waivers when he started putting up the points. A player added from waivers defaults to a $1 salary for the season, and we add $5 for every year kept. This will be the 4th year he has been a keeper (hence his low cost).

I drafted Laine and Marner at $10 and $6 last year, which was amazing (now $5 more each). Most GMs thought I was nuts for going after Marner, thinking he would get sent down.
    Talbot was drafted for cheap a few years ago before moving to Edmonton as a starter. Similar case for Gibson. Burns is a more expensive keeper at $26, but worth it imo.

At draft day, top forwards and goalies go for ~$30-$40. Extra sexy picks like Crosby, McDavid, Price, Holtby go for $50 or more. Talbot is a great deal at $21 given his Tier..but so is Gibson at $11.

$10 can be all then difference in a 40-50 pt player and a 60-65 pt player, all depends how much $$ you have left vs others. Late round steals happen every year, so I try not to blow my wad right away.

My goal is to assemble the best set of core keepers for the lowest cost going into draft. Talbot is probably the answer here, but I could technically keep Gibson, save money, and hold him for cheaper/longer.
    Ok so ya, that soldifies my answer I feel. You need the extra cash to get you that difference maker. As it stands, the only difference between Talbot and Gibson is 1 year (about 60 games). Talbot hit his stride (max games vs great output) this year but nothing says that the young Gibson won't do that come next year. I mean, he hasn't shown signs of regressing; if anything, I feel his growing pains were not bad at all!

As I said, sorry to bring this extra doubt when most of the other posts were pointing you towards a different direction. I just see it like a Gibson + say Wheeler at $25 vs Talbot + say Palat at $15 type of dilemma. I know this scenario may be a bit far-fetched with your different price ranges but you know what I mean
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Ok so ya, that soldifies my answer I feel. You need the extra cash to get you that difference maker. As it stands, the only difference between Talbot and Gibson is 1 year (about 60 games). Talbot hit his stride (max games vs great output) this year but nothing says that the young Gibson won't do that come next year. I mean, he hasn't shown signs of regressing; if anything, I feel his growing pains were not bad at all!

As I said, sorry to bring this extra doubt when most of the other posts were pointing you towards a different direction. I just see it like a Gibson + say Wheeler at $25 vs Talbot + say Palat at $15 type of dilemma. I know this scenario may be a bit far-fetched with your different price ranges but you know what I mean
    This is defintely the other option. I try to be smart at draft and not overspend which usually leaves me with some cash while others dont. If I do it right, I can afford the $10 cost for Talbot.
    If I go Talbot I could flip Gibson for waiver picks. Think I'll be set either way, just need to make a call lol
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by BranDOOM View Post
    This is defintely the other option. I try to be smart at draft and not overspend which usually leaves me with some cash while others dont. If I do it right, I can afford the $10 cost for Talbot.
    If I go Talbot I could flip Gibson for waiver picks. Think I'll be set either way, just need to make a call lol
    What would Gibson fetch you? And if you flipped Talbot instead?

Minors: