Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeper League - Goalie Choices

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Keeper League - Goalie Choices

Hi all,

Looking for early advice from the forum on which goalie would be best kept for my keeper league (team and details in format).

My league is a rotiss style auction league, where we keep 3 forwards, 2 d, and 1 goalie each year. We have $300 to draft our team, less our cost for keepers.

I have assembled a solid set of forwards at a great cost. Also locked with my dmen in Burns and Risto. Paying for Burns given the value he brings, and he would surely go for more at draft.

My toss up is in goal. I have the option to keep Talbot at $22 or Gibson at $11. While not a large difference in cost, going into draft with $210 is huge should I choose Gibson.
    I have a few concerns. 1) Will Talbot be tired after a long season/postseason? 2) Can he build upon his stats (GAA and SP%), while holding 40+ wins? 3) Can Gibson avoid injury and finally hit more than 30w? (25W for Gibsons last year, 42 for Talbot....huge difference)

Every year we keep a player, we add $5 to his cost. Gibson at $11 this year means he will be cheaper longer. Talbot hits $27 after this upcoming season.

Appreciate all thoughts!
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Keeper League - Goalie Choices

Give me Talbot. He's older, but his situation with the Oilers is too tempting to pass up. He's also more durable. 73 GP this year compared to 52 for Gibson. Talbot is a horse.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Talbot here. I think he will flirt with 50 wins next season and his team in front of him will continue to improve defensively... improving his peripherals.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Talbot on an ever improving team. Easy decision for me to pay a little extra for Talbot vs Gibs
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Another for Talbot here.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Jedi

Agreed, I think Talbot will be worth the extra $10. It'll be interesting to see who Anh brings in as their back up. I'm expecting someone that could potentially step in for 30-40 games - due to injury concerns (I think they kept the wrong goalie).
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yep, Talbot for all the reasons given above.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Talbot easily for me.

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree that Talbot is the better value here but I am a tad nervous for him and the Oilers next year with Sekera being out long-term. He isn't the sexiest player for fantasy purposes but as far as real-life value goes, he's a beast for the Oilers backend. His loss for half of the season (god willing, less than that) is a big hole that the Oilers can't fill with someone like Nurse or Benning.

Don't be shocked if Talbot's numbers dip a tad until Sekera comes back.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Talbot. Until I see a full healthy year out of Gibson, I wouldn't want him to be my main goalie.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Talbot as said, barring injury. But as said, Gibson has turned out to be a borderline band aid boy so far, so makes the choice easy imo in Talbot
    Column writer at @GoaliePost

https://goaliepost.com/

An avid Chicago sports fan. Craft beer connoisseur. Fantasy sports addict.

The Great One

Another Talbot vote as I do wonder what another goalie would cost you. I get the concerns re Talbot and I agree with most including regression based on work load and the Sekera injury but I have as many red flags with Gibson who is injury prone and I'm even less convinced on Anaheim's forwards
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks all, appreciate the responses and reasoning behind why. I fully expected most to select Talbot given he is only $10 more and its Talbot on the sexy Oilers team vs Gibson who is oft injured.
    Important to note that goalies in my league are drafted around $40 for top tier, and $20-$30 for mid tier, so both are at a great value and will go for more on draft day.

I am nervous that he regresses, and didnt even think of the Sekera injury so that was a good add. Workhorse goalie goes from 56 games played to 72 this season, plus playoffs... was curious to see if there were concerns for continuing that trend.

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think Talbot settles in closer to 60-65 games this year... I can't see them leaning on him for another 70 game season. That just doesn't happen often anymore. Still being one of the top 5 goalies in starts. Perhaps his wins regress to 35-40, but I can see his GAA, SVPCT & SO's all improving.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I think Talbot settles in closer to 60-65 games this year... I can't see them leaning on him for another 70 game season. That just doesn't happen often anymore. Still being one of the top 5 goalies in starts. Perhaps his wins regress to 35-40, but I can see his GAA, SVPCT & SO's all improving.
    I'd be thrilled with 40w, 2.20GAA and 0.920 SP% That's not really not a steep ask from his stats last year either, GAA would be the largest improvement.

D:
    G: