Thread: Keeper help/offseason moves

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Keeper help/offseason moves

12 team league, H2H, KEEP 4
    G, A, +/-, PPP, S, Hits
    W, SV%, GAA, SO

Here's the situation. I went for it all this past year and fell short in the semi's- brutal and still mad about it. The reason why I'm even more upset is that I traded next years hopes away, at least when talking about my current draft picks. All I have to my name thats worth mentioning are a 3rd, 6th, and 8th rd pick.

What I'm wondering about is where to go from here. I have a plethora of talent on my roster, and want to hear some insight into who I should be trying to deal before the draft, and who I should be keeping. Everything is on the table, including moving some of my biggest names. Here are my players worth mentioning: Have at'er!!!

Crosby
    Ovechkin
    Marchand
    Atkinson
    Burns
    Hedman
    Byfuglien

M. Jones
    M. Murray
    10 Team H2H Baseball- Cats

R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, AVG, XBH
    W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

C: D. Jansen
    1B: P. Goldschmidt
    2B: J. Villar
    3B: E. Suarez
    SS: J. Peraza
    OF: M. Trout
    OF: G. Stanton
    OF: A. Benintendi
    UTIL: G. Springer
    UTIL: J. Gallo
    P: T. Bauer
    P: Z. Wheeler
    RP: T. Glasnow
    RP: K. Maeda
    P: G. Marquez
    P: L. Castillo
    P: S. Bieber
    P: C. McHugh

Bench: J. Profar, T. White, M. Smith, C. Martinez (SP), G. Holland

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Keeper help/offseason moves

I would shoot to keep either Burns, Crosby, Ovi and Murray, or Burns, Crosby Ovi and Marchand, depending on whether you want to keep a goalie or not. Then I would trade the rest for picks. But if you could get way more back for one of the aforementioned guys then I'd be open to going that route and keeping a different player. For example if you could get way more for Burns than Hedman, or way more for Ovi than Marchand, then it might make sense to do so if the return is that much better.

I go Crosby, Ovechkin, Burns, Murray
    14 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Zibanejad
    LW: E.Kane, Panarin, Huberdeau, Marchand, Landeskog
    RW: Rantanen, Zuccarello
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Chychrun, Drysdale
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Markstrom
    Prospects: Carlsson, Raty, Berggren, Miroshnichenko, Othmann, Clarke, Gulyayev, Nikishin, Wallstadt, Wolf

16 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Duchene, Schenn, Johansen, Monahan, Krebs, Pageau
    LW: E.Kane, Pacioretty, Vrana, Hoffman
    RW: Tuch, Stone, Wilson, Batherson, Sprong, Gallagher, Wahlstrom
    D: Dahlin, Hamilton, Letang, Dumba, Kylington, Liljegren
    G: Allen
    Prospects: Byfield, Guenther, Rossi, Perreault, Nikishin

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    I would shoot to keep either Burns, Crosby, Ovi and Murray, or Burns, Crosby Ovi and Marchand, depending on whether you want to keep a goalie or not. Then I would trade the rest for picks. But if you could get way more back for one of the aforementioned guys then I'd be open to going that route and keeping a different player. For example if you could get way more for Burns than Hedman, or way more for Ovi than Marchand, then it might make sense to do so if the return is that much better.
    I'm with you on this. I will definitely play the field and see who bites. I would not be terribly sad to lose a guy like Burns/Ovi/Crosby if the return was right.

Owning Crosby scares me due to concussion issues. Thinking maybe now is the right time more than ever... had a great playoffs, will be a top ranked player going into next season.

What kind of return would you expect for these 3 guys?

W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

Dobber Sports Giant

Keepers in bold

Crosby
    Ovechkin
    Marchand trade him; I'm sure he can fetch you a good return as he's bound to be someone else's 3rd or 4th keeper
    Atkinson gotta drop him; no one will want him as a keeper in a keep-4
    Burns
    Hedman potentially trade
    Byfuglien potentially trade

M. Jones potentially trade
    M. Murray

PS: if you have a team that has a 4th keeper like Backstrom (great player but not multi-cat) and you offer him Marchand, he may not want to give you anything considering he will lose Backstrom so he's not too interested in parting ways with a pick on top of it. In this case, you can always look for an upgrade using your picks as well (i.e. send Marchand and a 3rd for a 1st or 2nd at worst... that way, he gets his player upgrade for a pick downgrade without losing a draft selection)
    You're going to lose these guys anyways, might as well try to squeeze as much out of them even if you aren't getting full value.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Keepers in bold

Crosby
    Ovechkin
    Marchand trade him; I'm sure he can fetch you a good return as he's bound to be someone else's 3rd or 4th keeper
    Atkinson gotta drop him; no one will want him as a keeper in a keep-4
    Burns
    Hedman potentially trade
    Byfuglien potentially trade

M. Jones potentially trade
    M. Murray
    I agree with your choice in keepers. But lets say nobody wants any of those guys . . Is it worth trading one of my superstars for a high return? Im bleeding draft picks so badly this year.. Not sure which way to lean in this case. I mean, I'm holding 3 of the top 5 fantasy assets in the league- but they're all aging . ..

W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by oilspill23 View Post
    I agree with your choice in keepers. But lets say nobody wants any of those guys . . Is it worth trading one of my superstars for a high return? Im bleeding draft picks so badly this year.. Not sure which way to lean in this case. I mean, I'm holding 3 of the top 5 fantasy assets in the league- but they're all aging . ..
    The only thing I would maybe ponder doing is flip Ovechkin with Marchand as a keeper but that's ONLY if Ovi can fetch you a return worth Marchand + (i.e. if you can fetch a top-2 pick and a prospect or 2, then Marchand and say Patrick plus the prospects can be better than Ovi alone IMO)

Ovechkin is on a downward slope but he is still a top-player in your format. I would be cautious here and not hurt your keeper core just to acquire a few picks. If the picks are worthwhile, then I'd be open to offers but otherwise, you'll end up hurting your team more than helping it.

Looking back on it, I could see you doing the same thing with Murray and Jones, but again, the return has to be worth the downgrade your incurring.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    The only thing I would maybe ponder doing is flip Ovechkin with Marchand as a keeper but that's ONLY if Ovi can fetch you a return worth Marchand + (i.e. if you can fetch a top-2 pick and a prospect or 2, then Marchand and say Patrick plus the prospects can be better than Ovi alone IMO)

Ovechkin is on a downward slope but he is still a top-player in your format. I would be cautious here and not hurt your keeper core just to acquire a few picks. If the picks are worthwhile, then I'd be open to offers but otherwise, you'll end up hurting your team more than helping it.

Looking back on it, I could see you doing the same thing with Murray and Jones, but again, the return has to be worth the downgrade your incurring.
    Would you say trading Ovechkin for Kucherov + a 1st round pick would be worth it?

I'm thinking ill stay with Crosby and Murray for sure. Both Ovechkin and Burns are on the block, but I don't know what the return should be for these guys. I doubt anyone will want Hedman or Byfulgien in a keep 4, thats just how our league seems to be rolling. Martin Jones is a possible trade chip as well.

I'm definitely looking to find the younger talent in the league. Kucherov is one... McDavid is s stretch (guy wanted Ovi AND Burns for him)... What about Matthews, Tarasenko? Are these players worth moving Ovi for?

W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

Quote Originally Posted by oilspill23 View Post
    McDavid is s stretch (guy wanted Ovi AND Burns for him)...
    I would totaly do this if you want to get younger! do it and keep McDavid, Crosby, Hedman, Murray. not a bad keep 4
    16 teams Dynasty H2H, 25 Pro 17 Farm 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 6B
    Cats: G, A, P, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%

C: Mackinnon, Matthews, Seguin(RW), Stamkos(LW/RW), Couturier
    LW: E. Kane, Pacioretty, Rakell(RW), Miller(RW), Palat, Johnsson
    RW: Voracek, Dadonov(LW), Pavelski(C), Eberle, Olofsson
    D: Burns, Jones, Ristolainen, Gustafsson, Weber, Fowler, D.Toews
    G: Hellebucyk, Varlamov, Mrazek

Farm: R.Suzuki, Garland, Kostin, A.Thomas, Appleton,
    Kahun, Marody, Dorofeyev, Paul, Lizotte, Fox, ¨Perunovich, Beaudin, Rosen, Walker, Brook

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Justinsane87 View Post
    I would totaly do this if you want to get younger! do it and keep McDavid, Crosby, Hedman, Murray. not a bad keep 4
    Seriously. What are you waiting for? That's an unbelievably good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Seriously. What are you waiting for? That's an unbelievably good deal.
    He wanted a 1st and 2nd round pick along with that, for his 16, 17.. I don't see how that is a good deal- even without the picks. I'm giving up a ton of talent that includes tops in Goals, Shots, and Hits.. I get McDavid is great, but that deal really hurts me for the next 3 years or so