Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vegas ready to deal before expansion draft

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Vegas ready to deal before expansion draft

So... perhaps conspiracy theory time...

McPhee trades for Fleury, gets a late 1st - Fleury accepts because McPhee has informed his agent he is going to flip Fleury to Philly (for more pick/prospects combo).

Fleury stays close to home, McPhee extracts maximum value & Pitt keeps Murray without trading to a rival
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Not even if it was the only possible option to allow them to keep Murray besides giving up multiple first rounders to Vegas?

Most interesting offseason ever.
    Buyout is also an option if they can't find a trade partner.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

McPhee trades for Fleury, gets a late 1st - Fleury accepts because McPhee has informed his agent he is going to flip Fleury to Philly (for more pick/prospects combo).

Fleury stays close to home, McPhee extracts maximum value & Pitt keeps Murray without trading to a rival
    I like it.... payback for how the Penguins got Streit haha.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I like it.... payback for how the Penguins got Streit haha.
    Such a beast he's been.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Buyout is also an option if they can't find a trade partner.
    Good point. Dug up this article which states exactly that: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/report-penguins-will-buy-out-fleury-if-not-traded/ar-AAlQu5a

Dobber Sports Stud

Hahaha.

Watch this big name be a washed up hack like Gaborik or someone.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Master

With the way this is looking we may finally see a challenge to the Glen Sather/Rangers title for the most terrible contracts on one team...
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I love a good theory.
    OK - here's mine:
    1. PIT decides to go with a 4F/4D protect (which includes Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Hornqvist + Letang/Schultz/Dumoulin/Maatta).
    2. They convey this info to Vegas and ask if there's a trade to be constructed that gets Fleury back to PIT.
    3. Vegas agrees that if PIT is willing to trade Maataa/Pick, they'll draft Fleury (as ransom towards trade goodwill) and then trade him back to PIT for the promised parts.

PIT gets to keep Fleury and all their forwards.
    Vegas gets Maatta & draft pick (of ??? value).

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I love a good theory.
    OK - here's mine:
    1. PIT decides to go with a 4F/4D protect (which includes Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Hornqvist + Letang/Schultz/Dumoulin/Maatta).
    2. They convey this info to Vegas and ask if there's a trade to be constructed that gets Fleury back to PIT.
    3. Vegas agrees that if PIT is willing to trade Maataa/Pick, they'll draft Fleury (as ransom towards trade goodwill) and then trade him back to PIT for the promised parts.

Fleury would have to waive his NMC for this to be done. They could theoretically do the same but draft Murray and trade him back to Pitts.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

I love a good theory.
    OK - here's mine:

So Maatta is the ''big name'' player??
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

The Great One

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pittsburgh makes a trade with Vegas to keep MAF and Murray.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I've got a gut feeling if Fleury goes to Vegas the incentive will include Sprong.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I love a good theory.
    OK - here's mine:

I like the analysis but as I understand it this can be accomplished much simpler.

My understanding is Vegas can take picks to give teams additional protection slots.
    McPhee was quoted by hockey news saying:

“If (other teams) want to give us draft picks to encourage us to take a certain player or leave another player alone, we're open-minded and we're going to listen to everyone," McPhee told the Associated Press. "You usually build your team, historically, through the entry draft, so we'd certainly be interested in acquiring picks.”
    1. Pittsburgh protects Murray and offers Vegas an xx round pick to protect MAF.- Vegas accepts.
    2.Pittsburgh goes 7-3-1 and exposes Maata, Maata is selected.

MAF never leaves the Penguins roster. Same result, MAF need not waive NMC, so in that way its a simpler mechanism.
    Actually, I don't know if its simpler, both require a "side deal" in that Pittsburgh has to agree to go 7-3-1 instead of 4-4, not sure if that's allowed.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Fleury would have to waive his NMC for this to be done. They could theoretically do the same but draft Murray and trade him back to Pitts.
    Yes - in my situational... Fleury would waive his NMC - with the understanding that PIT would trade for him. (or that Vegas simply not select Fleury for same trade return)
    Part of this speculation is based on something similar that happened in 2000.
    The Minnesota Wild drafted Chris Terreri from NJD... and then days after traded Terreri back to NJD for Brad Bombardir:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft

*Notably: Terreri was a back-up on that June's Stanley Cup winning New Jersey Devils.
    [Terreri obviously wasn't the future of NJD - and in fact only stayed with the club that one season after... but he was part of the Devils 90s success group.]

@Lawman, yes - I suppose they could also just do "agreement" with Vegas that Vegas doesn't draft Fleury.
    My gut feeling is that PIT hangs onto Fleury - just because he's been a big part of Pittsburgh's hockey identity for the last decade.
    And for Vegas - I don't think having a 30-year old goaltender is going to make them any better for the long-term than drafting one of several really good young ones (Grubauer, Forsberg, Brossoit)

Dobber Sports Wizard

And for Vegas - I don't think having a 30-year old goaltender is going to make them any better for the long-term than drafting one of several really good young ones (Grubauer, Forsberg, Brossoit)
    You mention "one of several really good young ones" and then list three so-so prospects who may or may not become full-time NHL goalies? OK, Grubauer is an NHL goalie but I'm not so sure he can become a starting goalie. The other two have shown nothing really to make them "really good".