Thread: Prospect Feedback

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Prospect Feedback

Hey everyone, first timer poster looking for some help in a keeper/dynasty league. Points only, not looking to be competitive for another year or so, so out of a fairy decent list I'm looking for feedback on these guys.... whos going to be a great point producer? I'm okay waiting on a guy if he has the better potential long term. Thanks in advance!

Potential Forwards:
    Nino
    Erikkson Ek
    Barbashev
    Sprong
    Cody Glass
    Sam Steel
    Michael McLeod
    Labanc
    Meier

D-Men:
    Skjei
    Bowey
    Bear

Goalies:
    Parsons
    Hart

Really long term/long shot:
    Kyrou
    Mascherin
    T. Raddysh
    Abramov
    Bellows
    Heiskanen

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Prospect Feedback

Welcome to the forums!

I would actually say I like a bunch of guys on your long term/shot list better than Barbashev. Bear I think you will be waiting on a while as well.
    Bellows will be good, and Kyrou seems to be developing well.

Biggest couple of names on the list are EE, Glass, McLeod, Steel, Skjei, Parsons, Hart and Bellows. In my opinion anyways.

I'm no prospect guru, so hopefully a couple guys that actually know what they're talking about can chime in too.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Your top guys in each category are solid. It would totally depend on the size of your league, and I'm also not sure if you have room for all the prospects you listed or are needing to cut a few for an upcoming draft.

Building blocks: Nino, Erikkson Ek, Skjei. I think these3 have shown some amount of success in their NHL playing time.

Guys I have heard good things about: Parsons - Parsons is tricky cause goalies are harder to pin down what they might be one day IMO, but he's a guy I would say really impressed in what I'd call the "eye test". Very impressed from what I saw him from him in WJC final. That being said that's one game so who knows how he will turn out.

Bowey
    Bear
    Raddysh
    Bellows

Not terribly familiar with the rest of the guys. Only other guys I've seen anything of are Meier and Labanc.

Hope that helps a little bit.
    http://forums.dobbersports.com/signa...gpic2298_1.gif

FSC is always looking for dedicated dynasty league managers. We run 8 standard dynasty leagues (18/23 kept) - see available here https://fantasysportscoalition.wordpress.com/ and 1 contract dynasty ( players earn salaries on contracts ranging from 1-4 years) https://fantasysportscoalition.wordp...ague-waitlist/

The Great One

The goalies are so much more hit and miss than forwards; I'd tend to avoid those guys unless you have a crap load of picks or free space. For D, I like Skjei much more than the other two (Bear will be awhile, and I read Bowey did not have a good year). Plus Skjei should have better trade value...people will know him.

At F: I'd put Barbashev, Labanc and maybe Sprong on the lower end. EE, Meier, and maybe Glass on the upper end. So tough to say with kids this young. Even if you aren't competing right now, I still think some of those older kids may have more trade value.

PS: welcome to the forums.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to know I'm not too far off on some of the top guys. I've traded older/established guys to acquire roster spots so I have the capacity to draft a handful of prospects if I want. Good to know which ones I should keep looking into. Thanks again.

Dobber Sports Star

Welcome ShoeGuy! Lots of great feedback in this thread, and I generally agree. This is a group of good prospects. I don't see any of them being great, unfortunately.

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but there something you mentioned that needs to be tackled.
    Points only, not looking to be competitive for another year or so, so out of a fairy decent list I'm looking for feedback on these guys

With the exception of maybe Nino, and Skjei I wouldn't expect any of these players to meaningfully produce for you within a 2 year period. Maybe Labanc and Meier and Erikson-Ek surprise, but they should be considered surprises not base expectations. Since you didn't share the rest of your team it's tough to know, but getting stuck in a perpetual rebuild is one of the most common pitfalls in fantasy hockey, and one we want to help you avoid!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Welcome ShoeGuy! Lots of great feedback in this thread, and I generally agree. This is a group of good prospects. I don't see any of them being great, unfortunately.

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but there something you mentioned that needs to be tackled.

With the exception of maybe Nino, and Skjei I wouldn't expect any of these players to meaningfully produce for you within a 2 year period. Maybe Labanc and Meier and Erikson-Ek surprise, but they should be considered surprises not base expectations. Since you didn't share the rest of your team it's tough to know, but getting stuck in a perpetual rebuild is one of the most common pitfalls in fantasy hockey, and one we want to help you avoid![/COLOR]

You raise a great point, and one that I am aware of and want to avoid... the idea of just spinning in idle and never actually moving forward. I think I've now set my signature to show the rest of my roster. We dress 6F, 3 D and 1 G weekly, and I think I've been able to keep/acquire established players that I can move forward with. By trading away players to get extra roster spots, the idea is to have as many kicks at the can as I can to find some gems. I may need to one day trade two prospects to get a better A+ prospect, but I also have to admit that I enjoy the digging, researching and mining for gems comes with prospect pick ups, as well as the heartache of when they don't pan out as quickly as you'd like. (So I admit, there may be more of a hobby component in play vs. being competitive).

This crop of players coming in to the NHL, as well as the group left for us to pick from in our league is admittedly lean with not many 'sure fire' guys like McD, or Mathews. So again maybe packaging a couple of roster spots or draft picks to get a better young gun might be a better plan come draft time, as my biggest asset is definitely my # of roster spots.

Thanks FantasyHockeyGeek!!
    Points only. H2H. Cap $70m. Drop 4 annually, 4 Draft picks to use/trade. Rebuilding....
    F: Skinner, Wennberg, Zibanejad, Hertl, Rantanen, Mantha, Vrana, Barzal, A. Nylander
    D: Faulk, Gardiner, Honka, Pulock, Chychrun, Sergachev
    G: Hellebuyck, Lehner

Dobber Sports Wizard

Goalies: I'd rank Parsons and Hart equal right now but they're both many years away from the NHL.

D-men: I'd actually want Heiskanen over Bowey and Bear here because he's going to be a top-5 pick in the upcoming draft, so he should have better trade value.

Forwards: Eriksson Ek, Glass, Meier and Labanc are your best forward prospects but Sprong, McLeod and Steel are good ones as well. Bellows is a good long-term prospect but he's a bit further away. I'm not very high on Barbashev but he's probably an NHL player at this point, so he has value in that sense.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks Jouko-Pouko, much appreciated! I do have a lot of interest in Heiskanen, he'll likely be given a bigger opportunity too!
    Points only. H2H. Cap $70m. Drop 4 annually, 4 Draft picks to use/trade. Rebuilding....
    F: Skinner, Wennberg, Zibanejad, Hertl, Rantanen, Mantha, Vrana, Barzal, A. Nylander
    D: Faulk, Gardiner, Honka, Pulock, Chychrun, Sergachev
    G: Hellebuyck, Lehner