Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: #3-5 in 2017 Entry Draft

Dobber Sports Sage

Default #3-5 in 2017 Entry Draft

We know who is going 1-2 but I would like to read who you guys have in the 3-5 slots for fantasy ranking purposes. Multi-cat especially.

Heiskanen
    Vilardi
    Mittelstadt

in some order from 3-5 seems to be a frequent grouping in a lot of articles.

Which players do you like in the 3-5 range?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: #3-5 in 2017 Entry Draft

Does your "multi-cat" include FOW (as per your signature)?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Does your "multi-cat" include FOW (as per your signature)?
    Indeed it does sir.

Dobber Sports Deity

Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass would be my 3-5 in that exact order with that info.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm bias as a Windsor guy, but I love Gabe Vilardi.
    I think he's a very unsexy player, but solid.
    I think he's going to be a really good top six NHL player because he's smart enough to read/gel with talent.
    He can play center or winger (most centers can easily transition to wing), but its likely his NHL team will use him at wing (where he's been playing in last few months).
    http://www.capebretonpost.com/sports...spitfires.html
    I even think there's an outside chance that PHI considers Vilardi at #2. (call me crazy!, fine,)

I've read comparisons to Spezza (former Spitfire).
    DAL & COL pick at #3 and #4.

Dallas GM Jim Nill spent a lot of time in the DET/WINDSOR area as GM of DET.
    Windsor hasn't disappointed with their OHL players. It's a blue collar town and guys work hard there.
    Detroit hockey people know Windsor, and they know it well.

I can't say I know a lot about Mittelstadt, its really hard to peg USHL guys.
    They can be hit/miss, I'll trust that the scouts have him placed highly, rightfully, but I don't see COL or VAN or VEG as places he'll quickly excel.

I've seen a lot of drafts pegging Heiskanen at #3 to Dallas.
    There pipeline of D seems young enough and I wonder if they already have three of their future top 4D and realize the 4th should be a stay-at-home veteran to compliment the youth.

I think it's Vilardi that goes #3 and I think DAL finds a quick spot for him as a top six winger.
    And I think with the veteran hockey smarts on DAL, he'll fit in fast & well.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The more research I do, Vilardi to me seems like the clear choice at 3.

I've seen way too many knocks on Mittlestadt to consider him top 5.

Personally I'm high on Tolvanen and Glass.

None of the dmen in this draft I would consider drafting that high, but from everything I've read Liljegren is the offensive guy and Heiskanen is the Hampus Lindolhm type.

Hearing Peng's scouting report on Vilardi give me comfort on Vilardi.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

1. NJD - Hishier
    2. PHI - Patrick
    3. DAL - Vilardi
    4. COL - Heiskanen
    5. VAN - Glass

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    The more research I do, Vilardi to me seems like the clear choice at 3.

I've seen way too many knocks on Mittlestadt to consider him top 5.

Personally I'm high on Tolvanen and Glass.

None of the dmen in this draft I would consider drafting that high, but from everything I've read Liljegren is the offensive guy and Heiskanen is the Hampus Lindolhm type.

Hearing Peng's scouting report on Vilardi give me comfort on Vilardi.
    Care to elaborate there. How often are you watching US high school hockey (he played half his season there).

Mainly that he never really dominates competition or takes over games, and he's a bigger guy that doesn't use his size. Those type of problems don't tend to go away.

Dobber Sports Pro

Any one of Vilardi, Glass, Mittlestadt, Necas, Tippett, Tolvanen, Pettersson are pretty much the same to me. Anyone could be great any could be the worst.

I would rank them:
    3. Mittlestadt* (I'd probably pick him 1 or 2 myself as I think he is right there with N&N)
    4. Vilardi
    5. Necas
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Deity

Mainly that he never really dominates competition or takes over games, and he's a bigger guy that doesn't use his size. Those type of problems don't tend to go away.
    That's interesting. This column states the opposite.

http://milehighsticking.com/2017/04/...y-mittelstadt/

Many scouting reports call Mittelstadt a “dominant” player. The Draft Site describes him as a “thick strong high schooler who dominates the entire ice.” The site remarks on how quickly he moves into the offensive zone to create excellent scoring chances for his team.
    So does this one.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/201...-in-top-center

Casey Mittelstadt is a dominant forward who has the ability to take over a game. He’s got an explosive first step, high-end top speed, incredible vision and instincts, a wicked shot, and soft hands with the puck on his stick.
    And another one..

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2017/5/...-all-the-tools
    An electric offensive presence on the ice, Casey Mittelstadt brings the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense. He competes hard with every shift, and has the dynamic puck skills to keep up with his creativity, which is a hallmark of his game. His awareness is all-encompassing, and he never puts his teammates in positions where their time and space will be bottlenecked. Bigger players don't phase him, as he thinks the game analytically and will find chinks in the opposition's armor on the fly. As a result, Mittelstadt is often seen forcing more complicated plays that the opposition won't be able to read in time. On top of all this, he can play a north-south game, and his transition game is already at an elite level. He's a complete player with the predatory instincts necessary to succeed as a consistent and, perhaps, dominant point producer at the next level. - Curtis Joe, Elite Prospects
    I am sure I could keep going on and finding more quotes that find him dominate but I think you get the gist.

On a personal note, I can honestly say I've only ever watched him play one game on TV (I dont get much USHL or US High School hockey on the East Coast in NS) and it was when his High School team lost in the semi's for their State Championships. I assume that Sportsnet showed that game simply because Mittelstadt was playing in it (why else would they show it ) You could easily see the difference in his game compared to others but he WAS playing in a High School tourney. I wish I could say I've seen more of his play and that's why I need to rely on other scouts opinions who have had the benefit of seeing more of him than I have.

In the end, none of us truly know how it will play out. I take everything I read on the internet (including here) with a grain of salt but when I keep reading the same thoughts about this kid and his ability to dominate a game on hockey site after hockey site, there has to be some credence to it. That's why I have him at #4 on my list.

Dobber Sports Icon

I would be taking Cale Makar with the #3 pick. I was talking to an NHL scout who had him at #2 in his list before Christmas of this year. He's not going to be in the NHL next season but he might be the year after. He was named captain of his junior team at 17. He is probably the best skater in the draft. He has a heavy shot. He hits like a truck according to a client of mine that played against him this season.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I would be taking Cale Makar with the #3 pick. I was talking to an NHL scout who had him at #2 in his list before Christmas of this year. He's not going to be in the NHL next season but he might be the year after. He was named captain of his junior team at 17. He is probably the best skater in the draft. He has a heavy shot. He hits like a truck according to a client of mine that played against him this season.
    Be named captain and hitting hard doesn't really make someone a good fantasy asset.

I don't think any defenceman in this class deserves a high fantasy pick.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Vilardi would be my pick at 3.

Outside of that the next 10 or so are a total toss up imo.

Dobber Sports Icon

Be named captain and hitting hard doesn't really make someone a good fantasy asset.

I don't think any defenceman in this class deserves a high fantasy pick.
    More than a point per game as a dman as a 16 year old and as a 17 year old in the AJHL and 5 goals and 9 points in the World Jr A Championships so I did not think I needed to mention his offensive skills.