Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trading Letang -REP-

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Trading Letang -REP-

Have enjoyed owning Kris Letang for the past few years, but this season it turned sour. Lost in the playoffs due to a string of injuries and poor play from guys like Seguin Benn Forsberg and Laine. Cutting out the rotten parts and Letang is on the block. Was hoping to get a 1st round prospect draft pick in the 3-5 range. This morning #3 and #4 declined, but #5 is down to deal and offered me his pick. Any reason I should not pull the trigger? Anyone still willing to argue that Letang can give you a reasonable expectation of 70+ games a season anymore? Concussions, stroke, neck injuries. Letang is about to hit age 30 and I want to get my investment out while the return is still good. I need to clear one active roster keeper spot, getting a draft pick for Letang fixes that issue. And I kinda like a couple of prospects that will be there at #5. This would give me the #2, #5 and #8 picks for the 2017 draft class.

REP for your thoughts as always.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Trading Letang -REP-

I think getting #5 back in this draft is a huge sell low. Regardless of whether he can come back and play 70+ games - a return to form next season will get you a much better return than Glass, Vilardi etc. Selling now, just a month after surgery is poor timing. I would hold through the draft and let him come back and play. As soon as he puts up a stretch of 10pts n 7 games - you'll be able to substantially increase your return. You lose nothing by holding him through the off season.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Do you have an IR spot or two in this league? If so I'd much rather see you keep Letang, especially since you can start 6 D men daily. When he is healthy he will be WAY more valuable to you than that prospect, and when he's not you can stash him on IR and throw a waiver wire guy out there.

Personally I don't see the #5 pick in this draft being fair compensation for a top 5 D man when healthy. This year he only played 41 games, but the last two seasons he played 69 and 71... right around that 70 game target you mentioned.

Dobber Sports Sage

FYI, Letang has been on my trade block for over a year and this is the first real offer I have received for him. It has been literally no interest. Also, for keeper pool, IR designation is irrelevant, to keep Letang I have to drop Sheary or Burakovsky. So its more like Sheary/Burakovsky and #5 pick for Letang.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    FYI, Letang has been on my trade block for over a year and this is the first real offer I have received for him. It has been literally no interest. Also, for keeper pool, IR designation is irrelevant, to keep Letang I have to drop Sheary or Burakovsky. So its more like Sheary/Burakovsky and #5 pick for Letang.
    I understand that IR is irrelevant for keeper purposes. Just meant during the season he isn't as big of a drain when injured if you can stash him.

Personally in a start 6 D format I would much rather have Letang when healthy and a waiver wire replacement for the balance than Sheary/Burakovsky and a decent prospect. My argument is that he is more valuable to your team than the guys you would be missing out on in order to keep him. It is surprising to me that he has so little trade value in a league where 60 D men start on days with a full slate of games, but you know your league's trade dynamics far better than I do obviously.

If you feel strongly that Letang is going downhill then trust your gut and make the deal.

Edit: Could you get a decent draft pick for Sheary or Burakovsky?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    I understand that IR is irrelevant for keeper purposes. Just meant during the season he isn't as big of a drain when injured if you can stash him.

Personally in a start 6 D format I would much rather have Letang when healthy and a waiver wire replacement for the balance than Sheary/Burakovsky and a decent prospect. My argument is that he is more valuable to your team than the guys you would be missing out on in order to keep him. It is surprising to me that he has so little trade value in a league where 60 D men start on days with a full slate of games, but you know your league's trade dynamics far better than I do obviously.

If you feel strongly that Letang is going downhill then trust your gut and make the deal.

Edit: Could you get a decent draft pick for Sheary or Burakovsky?
    Yeah all good points made by you guys. Its annoying that I am having to consider this move. Equally annoying that a player of his stature has received basically no interest in the trade market. I am feeling a gut instinct here, am worried that Letang is standing on the precipice of the decline section of his career, not due to eroding skills but due to the injury epidemic. I dont want to be holding Letang when he has his Chris Pronger moment.

No good offers for Bura or Sheary thus far. Low-balls only.

The Great One

Personally I keep Letang - you'll never receive value but is he worth giving away?who are you other keepers right now?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Titan

No one can make an argument that he plays 70+ games, but the argument is already made that in the 40-65 games that he does play, he will be your best defenceman. So no I would not trade him for the 5th overall pick.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Don't do it! He's going to come back with a vengeance this year, so try then. Heck, he might help you win a championship this year.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Giant

I would hold on to him. If you are being offered a top-2 pick, then maybe you can ponder it, but a 5th is just not good enough for Letang.

Did you try to see what else the owner of the 5th can give you? Clearly if he's willing to move his pick for him, it's because he's interested in acquiring him. Any other assets he may have that you would like? Maybe list some names if you feel there is a chance he may be interested in a different type of deal and we can give you some feedback based on that.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

The Great One

I'd also hold if they best you can do is the 5th pick overall.

Dobber Sports Stud

I have to say that most everyone loves the way he plays the game, speed power and talent its an almost complete package.
    I thought he should NOT have returned after the stroke.

In our sim league he has moved to a new team just about every season. One can always hope to see him have a complete healthy season and put up some very impressive numbers, but his cap hit and high possibility of injury just turns many away.

#5 is not too bad IMHO, but I would see if there are any other deals to be had out there. You can do better I think
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't trade him for a prospect pick. Not a chance. Id rather ride him for a few more seasons and end up getting nothing for him.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I don't trade him for a prospect pick. Not a chance. Id rather ride him for a few more seasons and end up getting nothing for him.
    This. 100%.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with the last post. 2 years ago he had 60+ pts. worst case scenario you can wait til close to your deadline and, if he's healthy and producing, get a bunch more than that for him. Someone will definitely be desperate enough at that stage to pay something to put themselves over the top.
    12 Team H2H Multi-Cat Keeper League - (G, A, PIM, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SO) - 15 keepers, 25 man rosters
    C: Kopitar, Bergeron, Stepan
    W: Benn, Kucherov, Voracek, JVR, Eberle, Steen, Hornqvist, Hoffman
    C/W:
    Def:
    Letang, Klingberg
    Goal: Lundqvist, Crawford
    2011-12 Champion and rubbish since