Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Trading Letang -REP-

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Trading Letang -REP-

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    What kind of value does Burakovsky hold? (I know you can keep him if you move Letang for prospects). I'm just trying to see if it makes more sense to move Letang, or Burakovsky...

Generally, I wouldn't advise taking a step back, but man is your team stacked...
    I just traded for Burakovsky a couple of weeks ago, got him pretty cheaply, not likely to get much for him. Plus, I feel like next year is his breakout and I would prefer to keep him around. After moving Drouin today, I am inclined to want to hold onto my young wingers like Sheary and Burakovsky if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    I would want to do something centered around Letang for Pavelski or Kessel, or JVR and the #5 maybe.

Failing that I would just keep letang or find a different trade partner if possible.
    Pavelski is a no-go, that's his franchise top player and he's completely off-limits. Kessel and JVR are pretty decent, but their lack of peripherals means they only average about 5 ppg which good but isnt spectacular. Sheary averages the same as those two, he's younger and he's currently my 26th keeperr so I honestly dont know what to do there. I suppose I could get Kessel or JVR and then flip them for something else, but its unlikely anyone is going to give me a top 5 draft pick for either of them.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I dont want to jinx the guy here, but I should put this out there: I havent yet emphasized the fact that I am legitimately concerned that the next big hit is "au revoir and go have a seat in the skybox with Chris Pronger. You two will have much to discuss. But what an amazing pairing you two will be at those charity all-star legends games next year." It's one serious injury after another with him and he's at 30. Wont need to play for the $$ since his monster contract is insured.
    I'll reiterate what I said a few pages ago. If you feel very strongly that Letang will be unable to play games going forward, then you need to trust your gut and trade him for whatever you feel is the best return you can get. Personally I don't feel that way about him yet since he played 71 and 69 games 2 and 3 seasons ago, so that's why I've been encouraging you to keep him unless you can get a trade that is fair value based on the assumption that he will continue to play games. That Wheeler trade would have been fair value, and the two 1st round picks plus Chabot would be fair value for a rebuilding team. I just personally don't feel the latter is the right move for a top contender. But that doesn't really matter that much if you are convinced that Letang's value is going to take a serious nose dive in the near future anyways and that he won't be a contributor towards your championship aspirations. If you feel you are successfully selling high and avoiding a crash, then trust your instinct.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    I'll reiterate what I said a few pages ago. If you feel very strongly that Letang will be unable to play games going forward, then you need to trust your gut and trade him for whatever you feel is the best return you can get. Personally I don't feel that way about him yet since he played 71 and 69 games 2 and 3 seasons ago, so that's why I've been encouraging you to keep him unless you can get a trade that is fair value based on the assumption that he will continue to play games. That Wheeler trade would have been fair value, and the two 1st round picks plus Chabot would be fair value for a rebuilding team. I just personally don't feel the latter is the right move for a top contender. But that doesn't really matter that much if you are convinced that Letang's value is going to take a serious nose dive in the near future anyways and that he won't be a contributor towards your championship aspirations. If you feel you are successfully selling high and avoiding a crash, then trust your instinct.
    You are really astute BMP. Outstanding points you are making all the way here. I really appreciate the input. For some context, I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I owned Malkin, and he missed the fantasy playoffs in March and April with injuries two years in a row. I moved him for a really good package of picks and young players. It turned out to be one of my greatest deals ever, because Malkin's injury trend has continued, to the point that he has now missed the fantasy H2H playoffs in five of the past 6 years. I am getting to the same point here with Letang.

I have shopped him around quite a bit the past several months. Basically no takers. Recently I have offered him up again, the guys with the top 4 picks in the draft all declined and mentioned his injuries as the reason they are not interested. The guy with the 5th pick is extremely needy for help at D and is open to dealing. I am just getting an instinctive feeling that I need to move him soon because his value could implode if/when the next big injury strikes.

Dobber doesnt do any Letang owners favors when he names the guy President and CEO of the Band-Aid Boy Corporation. Cant see that increasing his trade value any. Especially since Letang fully deserves the "honor."

http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...-injury-prone/

So to sum up, I am going to do the deal. I have shopped the guy around, this is by far the best offer, and I feel like the return of two good 1st round picks and Thomas Chabot is a pretty good price point to get off the merry-go-round. I know most dont agree with this call so it will be fun to check back in a couple of years and see how it has turned out.

Thanks to all of you for chiming in. I appreciate the help. REP sent to all allowed.