Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Friedman expects Cam Fowler to get PAID!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Friedman expects Cam Fowler to get PAID!

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/...96730702118912

Friedman: Couple of GMs told me "if Fowler hits the market, he?s probably a $56 million guy ? 8 X 7." #NHLDucks
    Full story here:

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/fr...riables-ducks/

The Anaheim Ducks could become one of the key players in what could be a fairly momentous off-season of activity around the league.

The franchise?s pillar of strength ? its defensive reserves ? stands to be a central storyline thanks in large part to next month?s expansion draft with the incoming Vegas Golden Knights. Throw in the desperate need many other teams have in acquiring a quality blueliner, and the Ducks are set to play a pivotal role in what?s to come.

NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman appeared on NHL Network on Tuesday afternoon, and followed a segment on the Ducks? expansion draft dilemma and the options available to the team.

?I thought you guys hit on all of the key points,? began Friedman. ?If there?s one thing I could add it would be this variable: Cam Fowler is an unrestricted free agent in a year. I think a lot of the decision-making here will come down to do the Anaheim Ducks think they can sign Cam Fowler long term. If they can, I think that makes their decision different and means that they go and move somebody else or expose somebody else. But if they don?t feel that they can sign Fowler long term, I?m wondering if he?s the guy they move in order to solve the problem.

?It?s going to take a big number. I was talking with a couple of other GMs last week and they said that if Fowler hits the market, he?s probably a $56 million guy ? 8 X 7.

?So Anaheim has to decide a) are we going to do that, or b) would he take a little bit less to stay.

?But I think you guys hit on all of the key points. I don?t think there?s any desire to leave Manson unprotected. I think they really love what they have coming in both Theodore and Montour. And I wonder if Vatanen ends up being the guy if it?s not Fowler ? if Vatanen ends up being the guy that a lot of teams look at and say, ?He?s the guy we?re interested in.?

?And hey, if you were Dallas and Anaheim, would you do Vatanen for the third overall pick??

Friedman?s mention of Dallas here alluded to an earlier discussion on the Stars during this same appearance.

Fowler is headed into the final season of his five-year, $20 million contract and does not have any trade protection.

Vatanen carries a $4.875 million cap hit on his four-year contract, the first season of which he?s just wrapped up. His modified no-trade clause kicks in for the third and fourth years of his deal, according to CapFriendly.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Friedman expects Cam Fowler to get PAID!

Ooof. That would be pricy! He's a good defenceman, but the open market sure does drive prices up.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Shattenkirk is going to expect similar numbers... man.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I'm just trying to imagine which team would pay Fowler 8 x 7. I just don't see it.

Administrator

Isn't this always how it starts with AAV figures? Start off at 7, ends up around 5.5

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Is that $8M for 7 years? I guess it has to be because other teams cannot offer him 8 years.

Fowler has been playing great hockey this season. In my opinion, he could get $7M on the open market but I think the Ducks can re-sign him at $6M or $6.5M for 8 years. He'd be 34 when that contract would end.

The Great One

So the way things are going, Karlsson will get $37M per season on his next deal in 2020?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    So the way things are going, Karlsson will get $37M per season on his next deal in 2020?
    Haha! Yup. Worth every penny.
    To be honest, after these playoffs, they could spend $45 million on him, $5 million on Anderson, surround them with million dollar AHLers and probably still go a round or two.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Administrator

Karlsson will get his 37 million but it will be dependent on ticket sales. So, more like 17 million.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Fowler has really blossomed over the last 3 years, and especially in the 2nd half/playoffs of this past year. (like ENORMOUS leaps)
    I remember really disliking him through his first 4 seasons... but mercy, he IS very, very solid defender these days.
    So much so, that I truly think that Vatanen might hit the expansion block, even though Vatanen has many years left and Fowler only has one.
    I think the ANA D4 situation is as intriguing as "what will PIT do with Fleury?"

The looming question... is does ANA have enough to pay him?
    I say no.
    But even if not, what is the value of holding him as a tradeable asset?
    And I think that's quite high.
    High enough where ANA rolls the dice on keeping him... and making a decision on WHAT do to with him later.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

That is crazy. A good player, but still. Crazy.
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.

Dobber Sports Genius

I get that he's had a good season but at this time last year he was seen as obvious expansion draft fodder. I don't see how his value could change THAT much, it would make less sense than Reddens last contract.

Redden 2.0
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Pro

Hearing that as Bob Murray I would talk to him, see what he expects, and if he says those numbers I'd move him this off-season so they can keep Vats, Lindholm, and Manson (assuming they convince Bieksa so waive the NMC so he can be exposed or buy him out).
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    I get that he's had a good season but at this time last year he was seen as obvious expansion draft fodder. I don't see how his value could change THAT much, it would make less sense than Reddens last contract.

Redden 2.0

Growing up playing defense, I learned that a lot of my forward teammates (and a lot of hockey fans) have really little understanding of what defensemen go through in development/on-ice chemistry/decision-making.
    Any given D-man could rush the ice up at any given time, could pinch at any given time, could opt to just play the body any given time, could opt to be agressive, super aggresive, or skillful in corners.
    At D, a guy is often thinking about how they're going to play the game... that day... this year... against this line... tonight... for this team, for another team... with this forward line out there, with the checking line, with the scoring line...

Defensemen are all over the map with trying to put together this overall 200' game.
    Some mature gradually, some actually do sort of "pop" and mature quickly in a given season.
    That was Fowler this year. He's so different from how he was a year ago even, yes.
    It can often take a long time to figure out exactly how much.
    I don't know how or what Fowler decided to do.. and often there aren't words to describe it...
    Might even be a bit like becoming a good "bar dancer".
    Some guys take forever to just realize they do just fine keeping it as simple as Will Smith in Hitch.

It's no entirely uncommon that it takes a guy awhile... several years... to find his best game.

Zdeno Chara "popped" in his 6th NHL season (2nd in OTT).
    He added 2min/gp in ice-time and his shot total jumped 60 shots from previous year, with 13 extra PPA.
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats...45/zdeno-chara

Victor Hedman broke-out in year #5:
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats.../victor-hedman

Seth Jones also in year #5:
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats...992/seth-jones

For Rasmus Ristolainen, it was just year #3:
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats...us-ristolainen

And for Cam Fowler, it was year #7:
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats...495/cam-fowler
    (and it isn't just offensively, he found his 200' game and back-end decision making, and in D-zone game. He's the real deal now)

Fowler is definitely... definitely not... a "Wade Redden".

Dobber Sports Deity

New coach, new system, regained confidence. A lot changed for Fowler once Randy Carlyle came back into the fold.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."