Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mark Stone vs Jake Guentzel

The Great One

Default Re: Mark Stone vs Jake Guentzel

Depends where your team ranks - for me there are worse gambles to take than Guentzel whilst Stone gives you a comfy 60 odd points - if I need to take a swing of two then I take pretzel, if I'm set I let someone else take the risk and make the 'safe' play with Stone
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Master

its a tough decision either way but perhaps JG gets you a better return in a trade considering his name is red hot

keep MS , and maybe get a 1st round pick for JG instead of losing one or the other in your waiver draft.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Its pretty much split right now.

Stone or Guentzel.

Everyone is saying Stone is the safer pick but they would keep Guentzel. Mind ****!!

You're not winning or losing your pool with this decision. I think Stone is the safer pick and I would keep him. His off year can't be as bad as a Guentzel off year and Stone has enough offensive potential to swing the lever over to his side.

The bottom line is risk management.

Swing for the fences in the draft, not with your keeper selections.

Welcome to the forums....
    This is good advice IMO.

Administrator

Stone for me

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

At the end of the 15-16 season I came on these forums to get opinions on keeping Kopitar vs. Sheifele (points only, partial keeper). It was fairly unanimous advice to keep Kopitar, the safe bet...

Keep Guentzel. Stone seens pretty established at 55-60 points, but Guentzel could have some 70pt seasons ahead imo.

This is fun, so remember to have fun and take some gambles on the not yet safe guys. Otherwise you will not find any gems.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    At the end of the 15-16 season I came on these forums to get opinions on keeping Kopitar vs. Sheifele (points only, partial keeper). It was fairly unanimous advice to keep Kopitar, the safe bet...

Keep Guentzel. Stone seens pretty established at 55-60 points, but Guentzel could have some 70pt seasons ahead imo.

This is fun, so remember to have fun and take some gambles on the not yet safe guys. Otherwise you will not find any gems.
    This is exactly the line of thought that I follow in these type of situations. Fantasy is supposed to be fun, and what is more fun than going with your gut and ending up right? That being said, it seems that a lot of people on these forums are pretty conservative and risk averse in their fantasy decision making. They would probably argue that winning is more fun, and that you are more likely to win consistently with less gambling.

To each their own!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Stone; suffer through a mediocre first half to own one of the best second half players you can own.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Immortal

Stone for me too. As much as I like trying to ride out guys who benefit from playing with stars, I normally wouldn't deal solid contributors for them. Stone has definitely proven he is that.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    Stone; suffer through a mediocre first half to own one of the best second half players you can own.
    Meh, I think the perception that Stone finishes particularly strong is overblown just a bit.

2016-17 his second half production was 26 points in 35 games (61 point pace) out of 71 games total. Finished the year with 62 point pace over 82 games.
    2015-16 his second half production was 30 points in 38 games (65 point pace) out of 76 games total. Finished the year with 67 point pace over 82 games.

The only year he finished particularly strong was 2014-15. Not that this changes anything with regard to picking him or Guentzel, but just wanted to point this out because I find the narrative that Stone is consistently an unusually strong second half player to be inaccurate.

Dobber Sports Superstar

30 in 38 and the man wants more, you're a hard owner to satisfy lol
    Girouxsalem

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

Tro,Kempe,Vilardi

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    30 in 38 and the man wants more, you're a hard owner to satisfy lol
    Haha, I am definitely that. Anyways, my point was just that his second half production the last two years has been roughly equivalent to his first half production. No big spikes to be seen.

Dobber Sports Superstar

for sure it's not as good as I thought I owned him that 30 in 38 season so going off solely that really was a mistake nonetheless he is a nice consistent own which is always nice.
    Girouxsalem

ThePeterNorthStars

Tro,Kempe,Vilardi

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post

in fairness, while all but one said Kopitar - you also had Kopitar slotted as your #3 when you posted. Everyone projected Scheifele to be comparable or possibly eclipse Kopitar's production this past season. Historically - he was a safe choice. He had a big down year and Scheifele blew everyone's expectations out of the water. .
    http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...ele-vs-Kopitar

That said, I totally agree with taking gambles and making sure you have fun. I'd take Guentzel just to avoid a Sen as a keeper (I plan on trading my Stone in Sept)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Does Stone reach 70 points (minimum)?

Dobber Sports Stud

Pretzel for me please. I'll take the boom potential over the safe sally.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.