Thread: Hanifan for Montour

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Hanifan for Montour

I have Hanifan but wonder if Montour is going to be a better offensive defensemen. Dobber has Montour ranked higher and he has looked pretty darn good in the playoffs.
    20 team keeper
    G=1.7 A=1
    Def G=2.5 A=1.5
    Hits, BS, SOG, +/-= .1
    maj (+1) SHPTs (+1)

Centers: T. Hertl/R.N.H/P. Zacha/W. Karlsson/J. Kotkaniemi/T. Zegras
    Wings: A. Burakovsky/A. Mantha/R. Rickell/A. Duclair/
    Defense: J. Drysdale/O.E.L/R. Pulock/D. Fabbro/J. Schultz/M. Ferraro
    Goalies: R. Lehner
    Prospects: R. Damiani/A. Raty/R. Suzuki/R. Amirov/N. Chibrikov/J. Perreault/A. Volkov/D. Farrance/F. Gustavsson/L. Dostal

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Hanifan for Montour

Montour for me, your format rewards offensive defensemen. Montour has a higher upside in the stats that matter for you.

The Great One

Montour as Hanifin has Faulk ahead of him and potentially one or two others competing for pp time and I see him as a better all round d man... Wouldn't stop me trying to get a plus coming over with Montour though
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Maybe just to play devil's advocate, Montour has Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm and possibly Theodore ahead of him.

On the other hand, Hanifin is a Faulk injury away from getting PP1 minutes and was used as the sole defenseman on PP2.

I think they're both close. Montour has more offensive pedigree but more depth to contend with (for now, at least), while Hanifin is maybe more of an all-rounder but with less competition and on a weaker team (again, for now at least).
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

The Great One

I have a lot of faith in the Ducks clearing some of those obstacles this Summer but as I say I see Hanifin being used in less offensive situations as potentially others better suited but also his ability to deal with the heavier minutes... Not sure I see that ability in Montour yet (and neither do I expect it based on the other options available to the Ducks( but I hear you
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

points only i'd go Montour, but I do expect hanifin to really break out this season. he's put up very good point totals considering he's been a third pairing dman. wouldn't surprise me if he's considerably over 40. but long term, Montour could be the next brent burns.

The Great One

Hanifin for me

Dobber Sports Master

I hold on Hanifin. Better pedigree, earlier break-in to the pros, his style of game is pretty solid. He can hold regular shifts really well and CAR is improving. He also has no obstacles in the roster and must not wait for an opportunity. Montour sure looks good but he seems more boom or bust. If you can afford the gamble then hey, go for it, but I would wait until camp or at least until after the draft. I would prefer to hold Hanifin. His situation seems more certain, Sure, he didn't have a meteoric rise from relative obscurity, but Hanifin started at the top and Montour is maybe just joining him now... and he ain't there yet.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Poutine View Post
    Maybe just to play devil's advocate, Montour has Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm and possibly Theodore ahead of him.

On the other hand, Hanifin is a Faulk injury away from getting PP1 minutes and was used as the sole defenseman on PP2.

I think they're both close. Montour has more offensive pedigree but more depth to contend with (for now, at least), while Hanifin is maybe more of an all-rounder but with less competition and on a weaker team (again, for now at least).
    Montour only has Vatanen, Bieksa and Manson as right-hand shots to compete with. With Vatanen possibly on the way out, and Bieksa and Manson lacking in offensive skill, that leaves Montour as the top right-shot offensive D. It certainly looked like he was being groomed for that role this playoffs.

Dobber Sports Master

A lot of things change in an offseason. Heck, no guarantee Montour comes back next year playing this well. If he is thrust into too many minutes with too large a load, he could struggle like Theo did a little bit. My money is on Hanifin to consistently be the more reliable producer of the two.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Giant

Love the hype around Montour (as an owner especially) but I'd go Hanifin here.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay