Thread: Draft trade made, how did I do?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Draft trade made, how did I do?

Points only league, 11 teams, keep 20. Our drafts are anyone not on a team and the new batch of 18 year olds. My team is young and competitive, finishing in the money in the past 2 seasons and expecting to compete for the title this year.

I had the 4th and 9th picks overall. Top 5 in my mind available in our draft was (in no particular order) Hischier, Patrick, Guenztel, Ardvisson, Kaprizov. My guess was the last two mentioned would have been the ones left at the 4th spot but who knows. Around 9th I was expecting to get Eriksson Ek, Colin White, Beauvillier type of player.

The Trade: My two picks for 2nd overall and the promise that it would be Jake Guentzel, and Kevin Fiala. So how did I do.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Draft trade made, how did I do?

I like the trade up for Guentzel, but it's a little unclear where Fiala comes into this...
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Agree with EB - how did you get Fiala?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Novice

Fiala was kind of a throw in. Ill drop someone like Vrbata at the draft and keep Fiala instead. He wont help me next year but I can use him as trade bait at the deadline to get the 34 year olds on pace for 64 or something.

Real meat of the trade here was was it worth moving up for Guenztel for the downgrade of Fiala vs Eriksson EK or someone of his ilk

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by briansavage View Post
    Fiala was kind of a throw in. Ill drop someone like Vrbata at the draft and keep Fiala instead. He wont help me next year but I can use him as trade bait at the deadline to get the 34 year olds on pace for 64 or something.

Real meat of the trade here was was it worth moving up for Guenztel for the downgrade of Fiala vs Eriksson EK or someone of his ilk
    Yes, I think it was worth it. Fiala isn't much of a downgrade anyways.

You don't have farm systems, right? So only NHL players have value in your league?

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Yes, I think it was worth it. Fiala isn't much of a downgrade anyways.

You don't have farm systems, right? So only NHL players have value in your league?
    correct, although everybody sits on the good prospects out of the nhl. Top 12 of our 20 count towards points total each year so most teams run 2-3 guys outside of the NHL and it doesnt hurt their team.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by briansavage View Post
    correct, although everybody sits on the good prospects out of the nhl. Top 12 of our 20 count towards points total each year so most teams run 2-3 guys outside of the NHL and it doesnt hurt their team.
    That makes sense, now I understand why you would consider Kaprizov at #4 then. But yes, I think that trade is good for you.

Arvidsson/Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek for Guentzel and Fiala - that sounds like a really good deal for you.

How do you know Guentzel will be there? Did the same guy have 1st and 2nd overall picks?

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    That makes sense, now I understand why you would consider Kaprizov at #4 then. But yes, I think that trade is good for you.

Arvidsson/Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek for Guentzel and Fiala - that sounds like a really good deal for you.

How do you know Guentzel will be there? Did the same guy have 1st and 2nd overall picks?
    ya he tanked and has picks 1 through 3, so the agreement was he wouldnt take guentzel 1st and I would taker him. Hes valuing Nolan and Nico above Guentzel which I view as a mistake but hes rebuilding so maybe for him its right call.
    Sorry I should have explained top 12 of 20 count in OP. my bad

Dobber Sports Titan

All good, we got there in the end and it looks like a great deal for you now and down the road!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)