Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: League Stats - Why Blocked Shots?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default League Stats - Why Blocked Shots?

Can someone tell me why so many fantasy leagues use blocked shots as a stat yet almost none of them use takeaways? Over 90% of the time a blocked shot does not help a team at all since the goalie would have made the save anyways. 100% of the time a takeaway helps the player's team since his team now has the puck.

Discuss.

PS: It's summertime for most fantasy leagues!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: League Stats - Why Blocked Shots?

Well. I challenge.
    I think Blocked Shots are (statistically) significantly more valuable than takeaways.

What's the average goalie SV%?
    Let's say its .910
    For every 100 shots on net, the goalie saves 91... and 9... go in.
    So a player blocking 100 shots, saves nine goals.
    That's pretty awesome.
    9 goals.

Kris Russell is often a talking point in the world of advanced hockey analytics.
    By the eye test, he is one of the more "unremarkable" defensemen in the league.
    But certain stats suggest he has real value.
    I think the shots he keeps from getting on net (and hence, going in) is one of those.
    Arguments have been made both ways.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...n-kris-russell

But I think the math is as simple as this - for every 100 shots not going on net, you save some goals.
    300 blocks... good as 27 goals, IMO.

Now... a takeaway, well shit, that's basically a FOW. Its possession gained.
    But the other thing about takeaways is that when they happen, at that moment, your whole team is likely back-checking or playing defense, they might not be at all positioned to go to the offensive.
    So, yes, you "gain possession", but there's nothing about a takeaway that implies the value it will turn into.

For me: BkS >> Takeaways, as BkS can be shown (as I have) to negate the most negative of the sport: a goal against.

Bks is basically the defensive equivalent of SOG.
    Keep 100 shots from going on net, give the man a +9.
    Put 100 shots on net, maybe a 9% shooter gets a +9.
    Take the puck away 100 times... who knows, but I bet its not a +9.
    100 FOW certainly don't result in 9 goals... if they did, Patrice Bergeron's FOW would get direct credit for 90-150 Boston goals per season.

#MathRant

[ps. As a further talking point, I think a guy who takes a penalty should get a -1. The other team goes on a PP and will score on 20% of those PP opps. He eats a -0.2 for 5 guys, per penalty. Likewise, any player that can draw a penalty should get a +1, for converse measures. Some anlaysts even have algorithms to weight penalties drawn and penalties taken, I've seen them recently as sideways bar graphs giving players for all facets of their game, incl. FOW.]

Dobber Sports Pro

Well reasoned, Pengwin.

/thread

The Magnificent One

Full answer - I defer to P7. Short answer is that takeaways is a very bunched category, with no one getting more than 96 this past season and the 50th best player getting only 50 in total. Blocked shots has a wider spread and thus can allow for more shrewd drafting.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As an additional point: Yahoo, a main fantasy hockey provider, doesn't offer takeaways as a category. What is offered is a major limiting point of fantasy hockey.
    12 Team H2H Multi-Cat Keeper League - (G, A, PIM, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SO) - 15 keepers, 25 man rosters
    C: Kopitar, Bergeron, Stepan
    W: Benn, Kucherov, Voracek, JVR, Eberle, Steen, Hornqvist, Hoffman
    C/W:
    Def:
    Letang, Klingberg
    Goal: Lundqvist, Crawford
    2011-12 Champion and rubbish since

Dobber Sports Veteran

There's some fun stats on fantrax that combine block shots with other things like hits or pims.

My personal favorite is the "Truculence" stat, which combines PIMs, Hits and Blocked Shots!
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Administrator

What exactly counts as a takeaway and giveaway? It doesn't seem to match up with what I see during the game because the puck changes hands so many times during a game.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    What exactly counts as a takeaway and giveaway? It doesn't seem to match up with what I see during the game because the puck changes hands so many times during a game.
    ^ this.

Takeaways and giveaways are so subjective and don't seem to be calculated all that accurately/consistently across the league's arenas - sort of like hits (home team bias) - but much, much worse.

Whereas, well, a blocked shot is a blocked shot - a stat I think to be really important in the game of hockey.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Superstar

Pengwin makes some great points as usual. Adding on:

1. Blocked Shots is an older, more defined stat (still not perfect) thus its better understood and offered by more providers (mainly yahoo, ESPN). It's easier to understand what a "blocked shot" is as opposed to a giveaway/takeaway.
    2. It adds value to D-men. I find most leagues that have added Bks have done it with a specific intention to add value to D-men and specifically a certain type of D-man ("gritty and defensive focused")
    3. Since its more defined there is more of a history of it and its easy to write intelligently about expectations for a player going forward. Without knowing how takeaways will be scored it's impossible to project totals, so bloggers don't write about it, so it doesn't get attention, so fantasy players don't think to add it.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    There's some fun stats on fantrax that combine block shots with other things like hits or pims.

My personal favorite is the "Truculence" stat, which combines PIMs, Hits and Blocked Shots!
    Amazing, we should get this in our WHL league
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Immortal

We have it to add to the value of Dmen in our yearly leagues. It's also one of the only other tangible/predictable stats that you can use and I think that gives it more value.

For any more details....please refer to Pengwin's mammoth mathematical reasoning

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post

I always wondered what that stat was. That makes sense to combine the three considering PIM are harder to predict nowadays with fighting and headshots (misconducts) going down.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Brosive View Post
    Amazing, we should get this in our WHL league

Sweet
    +1

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

The Great One

At least decide that before I draft my team

personally I think it is the easiest way to add additional value to d men - issue with takeaways is that they can be heavily skewed and not in a way I can justify when watching the game as ED says
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by SelkeSmooth View Post
    As an additional point: Yahoo, a main fantasy hockey provider, doesn't offer takeaways as a category. What is offered is a major limiting point of fantasy hockey.
    Anyone know any providers that offer takeaways and giveaways as stat categories? I'd be interested in adding them in my league.