Thread: Stamkos vs Barkov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Stamkos vs Barkov

I'm in a 16 team deep multicat salary cap dynasty with basically every cat except toi.
    I inquired about stamkos and the gm asked for barkov plus, not getting into what that plus would be with him just yet, but I'm wondering how close the 21 year old barkov will be to the 27 year old stamkos. Barkov seems to be a bandaid boy, where as stamkos' injuries have tended to be freak injuries.
    Barkov is $5.9m for the next several years and stamkos is $8.5m. Do I work on this deal or stick with Barkov?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Stamkos vs Barkov

I'd be very concerned about the plus. I expect it to be a sizeable ask. That said, I'd prefer to stick with Barkov here. that 2.6m savings will look like a really smart move over the next couple of years. Barkov's injuries could be partially due to him not being physically mature enough to deal with the physicality of the NHL, or he's truly a bandaid boy. When healthy, he's going to give you better value on 5.9m than Stammer at 8.5m Barkov should have little problem eclipsing 59pts to earn his contract in cap leagues and could very easily push 70-75 and become great value. Stammer putting up 85 - much harder to do.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Even when injured, Barkov has put up 50+ points. If advocating for Barkov, in a worst- case scenario where he misses 20 games and puts up ~50 points, and Stamkos plays all 82 and puts up 75 points, Stamkos beats him by about .4 points-per-million. I know it's a multi-cat, but given that's a worst-case scenario for Barkov, the fact he's young and likely can still improve and it's a dynasty, I'd take Barkov. Not sure that swap is worth much of a price at all.

Dobber Sports Sage

I like Stamkos here even with the cap hit. Obviously the plus matters.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Titan

If it was straight up I would probably go for Stamkos, but with a decent plus then it's not worth it and I would rather keep Barkov. They are decently close in your setup though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Also depends on whether I can absorb the extra cap... Personally I do prefer Stamkos but in a cap league it's never as easy as that...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Superstar

not worth it, Stamkos is a goal scorer who peaked early, although 27 is not old he will never score 60 again. More than likely Barkov can outproduce from here forth but expect injury. Stamkos is a band aid boy too so no worries there.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Straight up, Stamkos over Barkov easily for me. NOt even close.

in your situation, I'm guessing the plus will make this less worthwhile. As a former Stamkos owner, especially one who stuck with him through the injuries... I'd be asking for quite a bit more than Barkov (salary cap and all). 8.5 is his salary for several years now, so you don't have to worry about Stamkos costing more in the near or not to distant future.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Okay, he came back with barkov and Bennett for stamkos and either Connor brown, Hyman or zack smith... thoughts?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    not worth it, Stamkos is a goal scorer who peaked early, although 27 is not old he will never score 60 again. More than likely Barkov can outproduce from here forth but expect injury. Stamkos is a band aid boy too so no worries there.
    I very strongly disagree with each bolded statement. So really the entire post, I guess.

If Stammer gets injured again in 2017-18 then I'm on board with him being a band aid boy. But for now the fact that he has played virtually every game in 7 out of his 9 professional seasons makes me willing to overlook recent fluky injuries as outliers rather than normalcy.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I like Barkov myself, he has untapped potential, he's only 21 and has had a couple of seasons of dealing with injury. He put up a near ppg this year and his entire line was in shambles throughout the year, him and Herberdon't have real chemistry. Pure point wise, based on 82gp seasons, Stammer has the edge on Barkov over the next couple of years. Stammer is also better for periphs such as hits/pims, if your league does give/take, Barkov is great in that stat. Faceoffs both are a bit lacking.

The pieces he's giving back, eh...Hyman played most of the year next to Matthews and wasn't that great for points, he's not gonna stick in that top six. Smith is good player, better in real life then fantasy though. Brown...no comment, don't know enough about him.
    Bennett didn't have a great year, but he's still young, he may never be that 70+ point player that people expected him to be, but I feel it is easily within his wheelhouse to be a 50-60 point player who puts up good periphs.
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Superstar

I guess band aid boy is a little harsh but breaking his femur robbed him of some speed IMO. Again I can be wrong and he lights the lamp 60 times and makes me eat ym words but ever since that run in with the post he isn't as threatening anymore, again IMO but I haven't seen an "elite" season from him since the lockout and for me personally regardless the circumstance it's more than enough for me to knock him down a couple pegs and now he has Kucherov and Hedman's ascension to contend with.
    Girouxsalem

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

Trocheck,Kempe

Dobber Sports Pro

I guess band aid boy is a little harsh but breaking his femur robbed him of some speed IMO. Again I can be wrong and he lights the lamp 60 times and makes me eat ym words but ever since that run in with the post he isn't as threatening anymore, again IMO but I haven't seen an "elite" season from him since the lockout and for me personally regardless the circumstance it's more than enough for me to knock him down a couple pegs and now he has Kucherov and Hedman's ascension to contend with.
    Ah, I see. You meant score 60 goals. I thought you meant he will never score 60 POINTS again! lol

Nobody scores 60 goals anymore... but Stammer has as good of chance at it as anyone, I suppose.

I don't see Kucherov and Hedman's ascension as anything but positive for Stamkos. Very positive.

He was on pace for 96 points before getting injured this year. That is pretty elite in my book.

Dobber Sports Superstar

oh no he is a basic lock for at least 70 points a season thru age 30. I look at Hedman and Kucherov as more so he will not be go to everytime on the PP let's say. Back in day it was feed Stammer feed Stammer did I mention feed Stammer, now you have Kucherov unloading on the opposite side and Hedman can rip em himself from the blue line. I just think they will cut into production a tad. Pace sure but would it have continued we shall never know. Basically the dude is their round 3 I take his ass and hope for glory but Round1/2 right now I cannot pull trigger on Stammer based on recent trends.
    Girouxsalem

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars

Trocheck,Kempe

Dobber Sports Pro

oh no he is a basic lock for at least 70 points a season thru age 30. I look at Hedman and Kucherov as more so he will not be go to everytime on the PP let's say. Back in day it was feed Stammer feed Stammer did I mention feed Stammer, now you have Kucherov unloading on the opposite side and Hedman can rip em himself from the blue line. I just think they will cut into production a tad. Pace sure but would it have continued we shall never know. Basically the dude is their round 3 I take his ass and hope for glory but Round1/2 right now I cannot pull trigger on Stammer based on recent trends.
    All fair points!