Thread: Horvat vs. Zibanejad - who ya got?

The Great One

Default Horvat vs. Zibanejad - who ya got?

We're sticking with the recent theme of younger players in Cage Match, this week pitting two pivots who'll likely be on some breakout lists for 2017-18 - Bo Horvat and Mika Zibanejad: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...ika-zibanejad/

Did Zibanejad's 18 points in his last 21 games for 2016-17 leave you convinced he's ready to make a big jump? Or are you still concerned, especially with the logjam of Ranger centermen and Zibs, an NHL veteran at 24, having yet to show the kind of consistency that usually comes with being a true 60+ point player? With Horvat, do you believe his rise to 52 points is the start of something even better, or are you worried that his all-around talent could lead to the Canucks playing him in situations that won't be conductive to a true breakout?

Give the column a read and come back here to share your thoughts, especially if you own either player.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Horvat vs. Zibanejad - who ya got?

I had Horvat before reading the article, great work again, as always. When I see Horvat, this past season is going to be his floor. The biggest point of contention, well one of the top 5, in Vancouver this past season was Willie D's refusal to take the twins & Eriksson off the PP1 Unit. There was a stretch of 11 (ish) games they went without a PP goal and he continued to push the same stagnant group out there.

Horvat found himself on PP2 Island. Mind you, the quality didn't change much in terms of deployment. Hoping, Horvat sees significant PP1 time this season, which should bump him into the 60+pt zone for the 1st time.

He's been compared to Toews since before his draft year, you can totally see the three zone similarities
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

I never see Horvat as a 70+ point offensive dynamo because of his importance in three zones as you have pointed out. Similar to Toews though he does have the talent for it. I think 50 points is his floor and wouldn't be surprised if he reached 65ish in 3-4 years when the Canucks rebuild is farther along. For now though going into next season I am predicting mid 50's.

Zib has shown to much inconsistency and I don't see a breakout over what we have seen so far. I am thinking he will be neck and neck with Horvat in terms of points next year around the 50ish mark but after that Horvat pulls ahead.

Again it comes back to perceived value. Horvat is a sexy name because he's the best player on a bad Canadian team. In one year pools if I need my 3rd/4th center I am not reaching for Horvat, I am letting Zib fall to me. In keepers I value Horvat a little more but knowing that his production is probably capped, I'm not selling the farm for him either.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My bet on both of these players (who, coincidentally are both owned by the same GM in my keeper league) is that they'll both be in the 55 point range and peak at not much over 60. NYR simply doesn't have the horses to really produce a 70+ pt guy and VAN is a tirefire for at least the next few years.
    12 Team H2H Multi-Cat Keeper League - (G, A, PIM, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SO) - 15 keepers, 25 man rosters
    C: Kopitar, Bergeron, Stepan
    W: Benn, Kucherov, Voracek, JVR, Eberle, Steen, Hornqvist, Hoffman
    C/W:
    Def:
    Letang, Klingberg
    Goal: Lundqvist, Crawford
    2011-12 Champion and rubbish since

Dobber Sports Superstar

Horvat no contest
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Immortal

I would have taken Z this past season but going forward I like Horvat a lot.

Dobber Sports Titan

I still love Horvat from London, and I think he's talented enough to do both in a Datsyuk kind of way (not at that level, but elite at both ends of the ice).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I was on Zibanejad until I finished reading the cage match, which was a pretty convincing case for tempered expectations. I may now see what the market might bare for him now.
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020

The Great One

I always like guessing belted reading the article... I like it even more when the article backs up my thought process lol
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I never see Horvat as a 70+ point offensive dynamo because of his importance in three zones as you have pointed out. Similar to Toews though he does have the talent for it. I think 50 points is his floor and wouldn't be surprised if he reached 65ish in 3-4 years when the Canucks rebuild is farther along. For now though going into next season I am predicting mid 50's.

Zib has shown to much inconsistency and I don't see a breakout over what we have seen so far. I am thinking he will be neck and neck with Horvat in terms of points next year around the 50ish mark but after that Horvat pulls ahead.

Again it comes back to perceived value. Horvat is a sexy name because he's the best player on a bad Canadian team. In one year pools if I need my 3rd/4th center I am not reaching for Horvat, I am letting Zib fall to me. In keepers I value Horvat a little more but knowing that his production is probably capped, I'm not selling the farm for him either.
    Very solid comments here

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polecon View Post
    I was on Zibanejad until I finished reading the cage match, which was a pretty convincing case for tempered expectations. I may now see what the market might bare for him now.
    I'm always glad to hear that the column helped move the needle. Thanks for the comment and readership.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I always like guessing belted reading the article... I like it even more when the article backs up my thought process lol
    I used to do the exact same thing before I read the column back when Steve was writing it!
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/