Thread: Marcus Johansson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Marcus Johansson

Hello All,

I've recently made the following deal in the league in my sig (under the table as we have a roster freeze until the playoffs are over). Panarin to me for Hornqvist, Steen, Hanzal and Spezza. The guy I'm dealing with has a really young unproven team and is in a position to add in 3 extra keepers.

Anyway, I wasn't keeping Hanzal and Spezza but I was keeping Hornqvist and Steen so now I'm short my last keeper. I have MoJo and want to think he's good for at least 50pts this year and a good PP spot, but I don't know if I'm deluding myself and just love my own guy.

What is everyone's opinion on Johansson? 20-20-40 with a few PPP? due for a huge drop? 50+ pts and 20+PPP?

at 50 pts I think he's better than my other keeper options for my last spot (Yandle, Williams, Filppula)

Thanks and will rep
    12 Team H2H Multi-Cat Keeper League - (G, A, PIM, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SO) - 15 keepers, 25 man rosters
    C: Kopitar, Bergeron, Stepan
    W: Benn, Kucherov, Voracek, JVR, Eberle, Steen, Hornqvist, Hoffman
    C/W:
    Def:
    Letang, Klingberg
    Goal: Lundqvist, Crawford
    2011-12 Champion and rubbish since

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Marcus Johansson

I peg him at 40-45 and would much rather keep Yandle instead. Yandle should approach 40 himself.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Master

Thou are talking about a guy who before this season never scored more than 47 points in an NHL year. I think this year was a bit of an outlier (at 58 points), and expect him to return to the 45 point range next year.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

Oops, I forgot to say that I would still keep him over a guy like Yandle too.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I kind of like MarJo... think he could keep putting up numbers.
    I think there's a decent shot that all of Oshie, J.Williams, and Shattenkirk move on.
    Burakowsky & MarJo (& Radulov - I'll speculate) fill out the top six with OV,Backstrom,Kuz.
    There'll be very good numbers there.

I do believe in slow-bloomers, and I think Marcus Johansson is one of those guys.
    Yandle, on the other hand, meh - big body, may decline hard, especially with FLA having Ekblad and Matheson for use.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by SelkeSmooth View Post
    Hello All,

I've recently made the following deal in the league in my sig (under the table as we have a roster freeze until the playoffs are over). Panarin to me for Hornqvist, Steen, Hanzal and Spezza. The guy I'm dealing with has a really young unproven team and is in a position to add in 3 extra keepers.

Anyway, I wasn't keeping Hanzal and Spezza but I was keeping Hornqvist and Steen so now I'm short my last keeper. I have MoJo and want to think he's good for at least 50pts this year and a good PP spot, but I don't know if I'm deluding myself and just love my own guy.

What is everyone's opinion on Johansson? 20-20-40 with a few PPP? due for a huge drop? 50+ pts and 20+PPP?

at 50 pts I think he's better than my other keeper options for my last spot (Yandle, Williams, Filppula)

Thanks and will rep
    55-65 points. Slow bloomer who has been on my streaming radar for awhile.

They had a top line of Ovechkin/Backstrom so long with less help on the 2nd and 3rd lines in terms of scoring.

Kuznetsov's rise to star player gave them 2 strong scoring lines and 2 legit PP's.

Now, Oshie and or Williams are leaving VIA UFA status and who takes/keeps their spot on the top PP and top lines?

Johan spent as much time with Chimera/WIlson as he did with Kuznetsov/Williams in 15-16. This year he had dedicated top 6 time with Kuznetsov and Williams AND he played more with Backstrom last year. The number bump is largely due to him securing a top 6 role instead of a middle 6 role.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

The Great One

He's never done much to impress me, but clearly he's made his mark with the team brass since even though he never bested 50 points before this season he was kept largely on PP1 and had chances within the top six. On the heels of 58 points in 2016-17 and given that there could be vacancies amid the departures of Oshie and/or Williams, I find it hard to envision Johansson doing worse than 55 points a season for the foreseeable future, with shot at 60+.

That all being said, he might be a redraft and Yandle your keeper. I'm VERY optimistic on Yandle for 2017-18. Here's what I wrote in my Goldipucks column in April:

Poolies (not to mention Panthers brass) expected more from Yandle this season. After all, he’s only 30; and from 2010-11 through 2014-15 he had the second most total points among all NHL defensemen. Yet this season he tallied just 41 points, landing him 21st in rearguard scoring. Can he no longer be counted upon for top production? Let’s see what the data tells us.

For 2016-17, Yandle tallied a point on only 37% of goals scored while on the ice at 5x5, which is very low considering only once in the previous seven seasons had he been below 40% and in more than half he was above 46%. Also, he fell victim to particularly bad luck in 5x5 team shooting %, where his rate was a dismal 6.19%, which pales in comparison to his 8%+ rate in four of the past eight seasons and 7.4-7.9% in two of the other four.

Moreover, Yandle’s bread and butter has always been the power play, where this season he was victimized by unsustainably bad luck as well. His 5x4 team shooting % was only 10.29%, or well below the 12.6%+ rate he had in five of his previous nine seasons, plus lower than the 11.1%+ rate in three of his other four prior seasons. And he nabbed a point on just 60% of goals scored while on the ice at 5x4, which is his lowest rate since 2011-12 and far below his 72.8% average over his past four seasons.

Could some of this be due to age? Perhaps. But Yandle’s game relies on skill and finesse, not so much speed or power. As for concerns his fat contract is making him complacent, while we can never rule that out completely we also must remember that before becoming a Panther Yandle had already made over $30M during his career, as opposed to being a player cashing in for the first time.

What was apparently at play with Yandle were several separate instances of what I’d label as somewhat bad luck. On their own, each one of these might’ve cost him only a couple of points; however, when summed together, and coupled with Florida’s team struggles (down 11.6% in goals versus 2015-16), they led to Yandle unsustainably losing many points. That’s why I see his 2016-17 as being TOO COLD; I’m assigning him a rating of 1.25 and see him as a very good bet for 50+ points next season.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Superstar

MoJo took another step this season in age 26 season at times I would confuse him with Backstrom that's how carbon copy their styles are. I certainly think he is 50-55 guy now with PP1 time so I would keep over Yandle, he was excellent depth for me in redraft league and gets white hot at times for stretches.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov