Thread: Need to cut to 14 and thwn to 12 right before draft...

The Great One

Default Need to cut to 14 and thwn to 12 right before draft...

So we keep 14 during the off season and then we cut two more right before the draft. We can then trade our extra guys in 2 for 1s or for picks but historically its pretty tough. Daily starts and we can only ever have 2 goalies on our roster (including as keepers)

For sure keeers:

Malkin
    Forsberg
    Skinner
    Kane
    Eberle
    Keller
    Buff
    Ghost
    Trouba
    Vasilevskiy

Thats ten. I know some guys look questionable but im likely locking them in. E kane is a sog and goal beast and our league is weighed lopsidedly towards those cats. Im being stubborn with ebs- name value along with these nyi rumors to go wing with tavs have me confident i can at least flip him. Troubas a beast and not getting the resect he desserves yet in fantasy imho.

That leaves 4 guys to pick with a window to try to flip two of them before the season starts and keep the remaining two:

E lindholm
    Lehner
    Kovalchuk
    Theodore
    Dubois
    De Angelo

On that list im thinking of dropping DeAngelo and Dubois. Which leaves lindholm, lehner, kovy and theo. Im leaning towards lindholm and lehner- trying a hard push to trade kovy for a pick upgrade but that will be difficult cause i have 4 firsts already.Might be able to drop lehner and gamble ona redraft or failing that a guy like saros or darling? Is kovy worth the risk? Does theodore have better name value than im giving him credit for?

I think i can contend this year in my league (20 teams) with a good draft and on that note have acquired four 1sts (although none in tbe top six) and two 2nds.

Any input?? Rep provided!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Need to cut to 14 and thwn to 12 right before draft...

If kovy comes over he is worth the risk. Somebody will most likely give you a pick for him. If not he wold be a good player to keep if your in a win now.
    From that list I think lindholm is a keeper for sure.
    My drop would be deangelo forsure and proably Theodore.
    But would wait and see if dubois plays if you can.
    Also where's guentzel? I see him in your signature
    12 team with 15 keepers weekly H2H categories (G,A,P.P.P,S.O.G,F.W,Hits,Blks,Pims, G.A.A,SV%,Wins and S.O)
    C/W Schenn Lindholm Keller Namestnikov PLD schmaltz
    C Giroux Stamkos Schiefele Kadri Brassard
    W Gaudreau Okposo Mantha Gallagher Rantanen beauviller
    D Byfuglien Josi Keith Jones Gudas Ellis
    G Schnieder ​Hellebuyck
    I.R Shaw
    Prospects (25 games or less)
    Gilles

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Ianclark5525 View Post
    If kovy comes over he is worth the risk. Somebody will most likely give you a pick for him. If not he wold be a good player to keep if your in a win now.
    From that list I think lindholm is a keeper for sure.
    My drop would be deangelo forsure and proably Theodore.
    But would wait and see if dubois plays if you can.
    Also where's guentzel? I see him in your signature
    I gave guentzel up for a pick uphrade (with a 4th for a 1st) about midway theough his breaking out. Kind of kicking myself now

The Great One

I think your thought process is right based on opportunity... Issue may be that second trimthough as I don't envy you
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like Elias Lindholm & Shea Theodore.
    I really think Lindholm will become a 60pt player - his hockey smarts are really solid and all his tools are good.

Theodore is a maybe, he'd be a definite if this wasn't a 9F/4D format.
    But in a "daily", I think ANA will continue to have a great schedule and having a flex ANA star is going to help in this format.

I'm not sold on Kovalchuk...
    I think the NHL is a much faster game than it was 5 years ago - and I'm just not excited in a mid-30s player playing in an inferior league.
    I think he'll be a PP weapon, but won't be anything much at even-strength.

Dobber Sports Giant

KEEP
    E lindholm (best from this list IMO)
    Lehner (potential drop afterwards if a new goalie comes in)
    Theodore (depends on what happens with Lehner... if the crease is his, I prefer him, but if he's a platoon goalie at best, I prefer Theodore)
    Kovalchuk (if you don't want to gamble and wait to see if he comes over, flip him and Dubois and see if Dubois has a chance at the bigs next year closer to your decision date)

CUT
    Dubois
    De Angelo
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Jedi

cut Dubois & Eberle... why keep Eberle in any format?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    cut Dubois & Eberle... why keep Eberle in any format?
    I was going to say that Eberle should not be officially a keeper; rather he should fall in the list of 4/6 to protect. But after looking at the names again, he's good for 55 with a shot a 60+ and from the looks of it, no other names apart from Lindholm can give you that output. If Radulov wasn't able to break 60, I doubt Kovalchuk will IF he does come back.

How many points do you see Eberle getting going forward? Keep in mind, this year was his lowest ppg output in the past 4 years but he still managed 51.
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I was going to say that Eberle should not be officially a keeper; rather he should fall in the list of 4/6 to protect. But after looking at the names again, he's good for 55 with a shot a 60+ and from the looks of it, no other names apart from Lindholm can give you that output. If Radulov wasn't able to break 60, I doubt Kovalchuk will IF he does come back.

How many points do you see Eberle getting going forward? Keep in mind, this year was his lowest ppg output in the past 4 years but he still managed 51.
    I see a lethargic repeat of this year - if he gets traded, gotta wonder to where and his situation will only be worse.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

I see a lethargic repeat of this year
    kinda like a Bobby Ryan-style downward slope... I kinda ''see'' that too, but he still has better numbers. About the supporting cast, I totally agree though; depending on where he goes IF he's moved, his numbers may dip. I see a few good/better scenarios for him but most of the others would hurt his production IMO.

Minors:

The Great One

Yea Ive had the eberle debate before. In a 20 team- keep 12- hes not even debatable as a keeper- hes a lock. That being said I will be working the phones to move him before his percieved value deflates even further...

- - - Updated - - -

I see a lethargic repeat of this year - if he gets traded, gotta wonder to where and his situation will only be worse.
    Fair enough- but a repeat of last year is an undisputable keeper in our format...

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Fair enough- but a repeat of last year is an undisputable keeper in our format...
    Well that's the thing... as bad as he was (or can keep being), he's still a good player considering the league format. It's like having Paul Byron as a keeper when you keep 45 players in a 14-team league... In most formats he'd be a drop, but in the right circumstances, he's a keeper.

FWIW, I think he can hit 60 again, but I doubt we ever see him flirt with 70, no matter who his line mates are.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Titan

No one is a lock in a keep 12 except for the best 12 players in your format. If you have 12 guys better than Eberle, then you cut Eberle. I like all of Lindholm, Theodore and Lehner more. Lehner because he's a starter in a 20 team league. At worst he has good trade value.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    No one is a lock in a keep 12 except for the best 12 players in your format. If you have 12 guys better than Eberle, then you cut Eberle. I like all of Lindholm, Theodore and Lehner more. Lehner because he's a starter in a 20 team league. At worst he has good trade value.
    I hear ya- thats a fair statement. that being said I guess Im saying I dont expect Lindholm to beat what Ebs did this year- especially in the goal scoring and sog department. Im really hoping (and believe) he can breakout this year but a breakout likely is just about what eberle did even this year. I dont think Eberle ever gets back to his first couple seasons but I believe he has a reasonable shot to repeat- maybe make a 5-10 point gain? My concern about Theo is the ducks defense, the emergence of Montour and the fact that Im carrying 3 d-men already. I LOVE Lehner and will probably keep him. The only thing that changes that is who goes back into the player pool. I have 4 1sts so if youve got Helle, Darling and Lehner (available for re-draft) than I might just keep a sakter and knab whoever is left on the goalie front.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's the thing... as bad as he was (or can keep being), he's still a good player considering the league format. It's like having Paul Byron as a keeper when you keep 45 players in a 14-team league... In most formats he'd be a drop, but in the right circumstances, he's a keeper.

FWIW, I think he can hit 60 again, but I doubt we ever see him flirt with 70, no matter who his line mates are.
    Yea hes on decline for sure- but a repeat of this year is def a reasonable keeper in our format- all I meant...