Thread: People of Vancouver, why do you love it? Or hate it?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default People of Vancouver, why do you love it? Or hate it?

I had always heard great things about the city so I was excited to visit a few weeks ago. But I confess, I didn't get it at all. It's beautiful out there to be sure but damn is it expensive too! Big condos and highrises all built in the last 10 years are everywhere and people I talked to say rent is ridiculous. That was also a weird contrast with all the homeless people and criminals. I visited the park to enjoy the natural beauty and they broke into my car to steal the leftover half sandwich sitting on the seat and the $1.45 in change in the console. wtf is that all about? It also seemed very superficial to me like it was trying really hard to be something it wasn't. People were friendly enough but sort of aloof and stand-ofish too, hard to explain. It just didn't seem to have a vibe or a soul like other major cities I've visited, it felt empty of substance to me.

So what is he deal? Did I miss something? Do the cool kids live outside the city proper? Why do you love (or hate) your city? And have you lived anywhere else to compare it against?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: People of Vancouver, why do you love it? Or hate it?

I think you experienced pretty accurately.

I lived there for 3 years a decade ago. I enjoyed the food, shows and mountains but disliked the people experience. Seattle is way friendlier and has a more relaxed vibe.

I'm back on the island now and unfortunately the plague has spread here.

Dobber Sports Monster

i visit there every few years. great food compared to the slop in my town lol. i just don't like being in a big city for a long time, get tired of the rat race. am so used to being in a small town. one good thing is there is always something to do there. i don't know if it's just me but i get paranoid going there since the "BIG ONE" is coming .... (the big earthquake) lol. Last time i was there i was laying down in the hotel and i kept thinking "man if this ground starts shaking im running"

Dobber Sports Guru

The title sounds like this thread should be on reddit.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ninja

I am an Alt of somone else's account and like posting to try and cause a stir. AMA!