Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gibson: How does Anaheims "older" team affect his value?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Gibson: How does Anaheims "older" team affect his value?

I think Gibson is a great young goalie, but Anaheim doesn't have many up-and-comers..that I can think of (besides Rakell). I'm concerned the team will slowly decline.

How do you value Gibson in Anaheim over the coming years? Should there be any cause for concern?

In my league, we only start 1 goalie/week, so many goalies at the end of the year aren't kept (Jones and Crawford were picked in last year's first round).

Should I keep Gibson because of his potential or drop him because of Anaheims decline and keep Risto and Werenski?
    14 Team | Keep 5 | H2H Weekly Lock
    Start: 2 x C, LW, RW | 4 x D | 1 x G

Scoring System:

+/- (0.5), G (3), A (2), PIM (0.25), PPG (1), PPA (1), SHG (2), ShG (1), BLK (0.1), HIT (0.1), GWG (1), HT (2)
    W (5), SHO (3), S (0.2), GA (-1), ShSv (0.2)

Default Re: Gibson: How does Anaheims "older" team affect his value?

They might decline but with so many young and good defenseman I am not worried that they will be a bottom team. I'm more worried by the injuries then a team decline.

Administrator

They have a lot of good young players like Ritchie, Jones, Montour, Theodore, etc. Plus a lot of other good prospects. It'll help soften the blow big time. Plus Getzlaf and Kesler are still playing at a high level.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Personally, I think this is a great thread.
    I, too, believe that Anaheim will regress hard as their two C get another year older.
    I really like Getzlaf, and Kesler, but they are on the wrong side of 30.
    Detroit was/is a team that hung onto their aging centers for a while...
    People looked at the DET pipeline: Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, etc. Good players, but with no bonafide rising center - who dey?
    And on the heels of that Wing-discussion... Petr Mrazek is a good goalie, I think he's right on par with Gibson, but what's Mrazek worth in fantasy?

IMO, this is the ideal time to try to flip the younger Gibson for an older F.Andersen.
    TOR is going to be top 3 team in the next 3-5 years in East.
    ANA is going to be 6-10ish West team in a couple years.

What's funny/sucks, is that I had Gibson and F. Andersen at the end of last year but decided to keep Gibson...hindsight
    14 Team | Keep 5 | H2H Weekly Lock
    Start: 2 x C, LW, RW | 4 x D | 1 x G

Scoring System:

+/- (0.5), G (3), A (2), PIM (0.25), PPG (1), PPA (1), SHG (2), ShG (1), BLK (0.1), HIT (0.1), GWG (1), HT (2)
    W (5), SHO (3), S (0.2), GA (-1), ShSv (0.2)

Dobber Sports Ace

Red Wings blue line is/was almost AHL level compared to Ducks in this scenario.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Red Wings blue line is/was almost AHL level compared to Ducks in this scenario.
    Yeah, Montour and Theodore would have been 2nd pair at worst on that team. Probably top pair.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Sam Steel will be along right about the time Kesler starts to decline in a couple of years. And with the ridiculous stockpile of young D the Ducks have, if they need a fresh option they can just trade one for a C, ala Jones for Johansen.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I, too, believe that Anaheim will regress hard as their two C get another year older.
    Getzlaf and Kesler are both 32, that's pretty far from over the hill yet. The Wings have milked their guys well into their late 30s so it's not really a fair comparison IMHO. They have Getz and Perry signed until 36 and Kesler to 37, that's perfect to get optimal production and veteran leadership before they start to appreciably decline. So they've got the time to fix this, but you're right they have no centers in their pipeline so they're going to have to make adjustments or they will look like Detroit.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Yeah, Montour and Theodore would have been 2nd pair at worst on that team. Probably top pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dank Pepe View Post
    Getzlaf and Kesler are both 32, that's pretty far from over the hill yet. The Wings have milked their guys well into their late 30s so it's not really a fair comparison IMHO. They have Getz and Perry signed until 36 and Kesler to 37, that's perfect to get optimal production and veteran leadership before they start to appreciably decline. So they've got the time to fix this, but you're right they have no centers in their pipeline so they're going to have to make adjustments or they will look like Detroit.
    Those are both good & wise comments.
    I retract my opinion on the Ducks declining any time soon.
    Pengwin feels shame.

Dobber Sports Giant

Those are both good & wise comments.
    I retract my opinion on the Ducks declining any time soon.
    Pengwin feels shame.

Hehe, love that Denis Lemieux interview!

I too think the Ducks should be A-OK in the near future. Their D is/will be as solid as they come with great 2-way guys and their young forward group should mature well around the aging vets that still have some gas in the tank.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Deity

I am not worried about Gibson at all. As mentioned, the D in front of him is probably just as young, if not younger than he is and growing as well. Plenty of offense coming down the pipe for the Ducks, who have drafted considering they are normally near the end of most rounds.

The Ducks aren't playing fantasy hockey so just because their key assets are over 30, that doesn't mean they are a depreciated player. Plenty of rubber left on their tires.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

People looked at the DET pipeline: Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, etc. Good players, but with no bonafide rising center - who dey?
    And on the heels of that Wing-discussion... Petr Mrazek is a good goalie, I think he's right on par with Gibson, but what's Mrazek worth in fantasy?

IMO, this is the ideal time to try to flip the younger Gibson for an older F.Andersen.
    Would you flip Gibson in cap league for a better option? I think the 2.3M cap hit is great even tough it could help land a top tier goalie with a higher cap hit.
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Master

Two years ago I had both Gibson and Andersen, but traded away Andersen. This was of course before he got sent to the Leafs in the real NHL.
    I still have Gibson and expect the Ducks to be a good team for a few more years anyways. I now have Vasilevsky too so if Gibson does falter with an aging Ducks club, then I stick with Vasy.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't know guys, Getzlaf has looked pretty darn dominant in these playoffs, and Perry seems to have regained some jump as well. I think for the next 2 years at least, the Ducks are still a Top 5 team in the West.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot