Thread: [Signing] NYI and Linus Soderstrom agree to ELC

Dobber Sports Sage

Default [Signing] NYI and Linus Soderstrom agree to ELC

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/l...al/c-289397160

The Islanders crease is looking stacked for the future with Linus and Ilya Sorokin. Soderstrom was arguably the best goalie in the SHL this year and we all know about Sorokin.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: [Signing] NYI and Linus Soderstrom agree to ELC

Hmm, maybe it's a start for some moves to come on their end...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sage

Obviously Berube is gone, he's not dumb enough to sign up for more career-destroying, three-headed goalie madness. The big question will be Halak, will they bring him back up to compete with Greiss, who flailed pretty badly after signing his 3-year deal?

P.S. LOL Bass I just saw your team's goalie bench, that's pretty F'd up. Lots of situations hanging in the breeze there.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Obviously Berube is gone, he's not dumb enough to sign up for more career-destroying, three-headed goalie madness. The big question will be Halak, will they bring him back up to compete with Greiss, who flailed pretty badly after signing his 3-year deal?

P.S. LOL Bass I just saw your team's goalie bench, that's pretty F'd up. Lots of situations hanging in the breeze there.
    Berube seemed like a good dude so I hope he finds a niche somewhere but it might take a season in the AHL to work off the rust accumulated during the isles sideshow .

with linus and ilya slated for another season in europe / khl would anyone be shocked if snow resigned Berube if he still looking for work come mid July ? I sure as heck wouldnt - but it would be with starting in AHL in mind .

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    Berube seemed like a good dude so I hope he finds a niche somewhere but it might take a season in the AHL to work off the rust accumulated during the isles sideshow .

with linus and ilya slated for another season in europe / khl would anyone be shocked if snow resigned Berube if he still looking for work come mid July ? I sure as heck wouldnt - but it would be with starting in AHL in mind .
    Yeah I always liked Berube when he was with the Kings. I was bummed that we lost him but we couldnt hang onto him with Bernier and Martin Jones already in the pipeline at the time. I hope he gets a shot to carve out a decent career as a backup somewhere.

With Stephon Williams and Chris Gibson already in Bridgeport and Soderstrom on the way in, not sure there is any room, but I also dont know the contract status of all the players.

Dobber Sports Giant

Hehe ya, we have to submit our final keepers before July 1st. I'm hoping I get a bit of insight as to what each team will be doing before that. As it stands I'm going to try to send Varly, Pickard and S. Martin to a manager in need of goaltending.

My problem lies with the situation in Brooklyn... The signing from your OP just keeps making the waters murkier for me
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Wizard

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/l...al/c-289397160

The Islanders crease is looking stacked for the future with Linus and Ilya Sorokin. Soderstrom was arguably the best goalie in the SHL this year and we all know about Sorokin.
    Soderstrom only played 22 games while the best goalies in that league play around 40 each year. His stats are great but he also played behind the best team in the league, so that obviously helps. But he was great in the playoffs, it's just too early to call him the best goalie in that league with such a small sample size. He's also likely to return to Sweden for another year before playing in the AHL (the Islanders will most likely loan him there).

I'm no doctor or any sort of expert in this area, so I have no idea how his mental stuff will affect his pro life. I think there's always added risk when dealing with something like this (source).

The young netminder is a very unique individual. He was diagnosed with ADHD, and Asperger?s Syndrome at the age of seven. Asperger?s is a mild form of Autism. Asperger syndrome also known as Asperger?s, is a developmental disorder marked by difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. As a milder autism spectrum disorder (ASD), it differs from other ASDs by relatively normal language and intelligence. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and unusual use of language are common. Signs usually begin before two years old and typically last for a person?s entire life.

The Hockey News recently did a story on Soderstrom and how he excels despite the diagnosis:

?He?s tremendously focused,? said coach Rikard Gronborg. ?He plays the angles real well. When we?re setting up a defensive plan, he?s a big part of that discussion so he knows where the shots are most likely to come from. That?s how we set up a defensive system; we play towards his strengths.?

Being 6-foot-4 certainly doesn?t hurt, either. But that super-human focus can be traced back to the Asperger diagnosis. The Swedish hockey program has known about it since Soderstrom began playing at the under-16 level, so they made it their business to be there for him. All the coaches have taken classes on how to work with such players and it basically boils down to setting up a structured environment and keeping communication very black-and-white, yes-and-no.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Soderstrom only played 22 games while the best goalies in that league play around 40 each year. His stats are great but he also played behind the best team in the league, so that obviously helps. But he was great in the playoffs, it's just too early to call him the best goalie in that league with such a small sample size. He's also likely to return to Sweden for another year before playing in the AHL (the Islanders will most likely loan him there).

I'm no doctor or any sort of expert in this area, so I have no idea how his mental stuff will affect his pro life. I think there's always added risk when dealing with something like this (source).
    That's why I said he's "arguably the best goalie."

Dobber Sports Pro

I think this could be big for NYI and be very underrated int he future. If he can establish himself BEFORE Sorokin gets there and establishes himself NYI will have a great problem on their hands but fantasy GM's may have another Andersen/Gibson headache to deal with
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    I think this could be big for NYI and be very underrated int he future. If he can establish himself BEFORE Sorokin gets there and establishes himself NYI will have a great problem on their hands but fantasy GM's may have another Andersen/Gibson headache to deal with
    The problem for that is that it looks like Soderstrom plays another year in Sweden, and Sorokin also has just 1 year left on his KHL contract. It's possible they both cross the pond at the same time next summer.

Dobber Sports Pro

That's why I said he's "arguably the best goalie."
    Which is precisely why he argued it

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The problem for that is that it looks like Soderstrom plays another year in Sweden, and Sorokin also has just 1 year left on his KHL contract. It's possible they both cross the pond at the same time next summer.
    islanders havent had this potential problem since resch/smith split duties in the 70's so I dont mind

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Which is precisely why he argued it
    But he said "arguably" conceding that an argument could be made so that no one would argue it.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

How does he compare to other goalies in this year's draft?

Dobber Sports Stud

^^ Quite favourably. He's been a top player against men and is ahead in his development arc. I'm a fan of Oettinger, but he's just 18. If you can land a 20/21 year goaltender who has shown more against better competition, you take him.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.