Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ecuador/The Galapagos Islands

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Ecuador/The Galapagos Islands

Hola amigos,

Apologies that I was not around recently to gloat a little for Nashville's second round win, but I was otherwise engaged on a graduation trip to the Galapagos Islands. To those of you that don't know much about them, look it up. It's a set of islands off of the coast of Ecuador (on the Pacific side of South America for those of you who don't do Geography), and has to be one of the most secluded, as well as one of the most beautiful places on earth. It has been at the top of my bucket list for about 10 years now and finally made it happen. It was so worth it.

Having already traveled to cities such as Paris, Barcelona and Rome, as well as other vacations in places like Hawaii, Costa Rica and Bermuda, I feel like it has some weight when I say I have never been anywhere that I found as amazing. The biodiversity is astounding, and there are no real land predators in that section of the world, so the animals really aren't afraid of humans (quite a culture shock!). Hanging around in fields with giant tortoises, as well as swimming with sharks, manta rays, sea lions, penguins and thousands of fish was such an unforgettable experience. In addition, the beautiful scenery, a great culture, and plenty of things to do made it my favourite vacation to this point in my life.

Basically what I'm getting at is that if you don't have it on your bucket list already, you should.

Now back to the important stuff. Time to get caught up on playoffs, Russians, trades and signings!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Ecuador/The Galapagos Islands

All i know about the Galapagos Islands is that if you draw a line on a map right down from Thunder Bay, you hit them. Sooooo you could say I've practically been there.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

So you start the post about not being around to gloat about the Predators and end up gloating about your vacation instead.

Jokes aside, I never even heard of those islands. Learn something everyday.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    So you start the post about not being around to gloat about the Predators and end up gloating about your vacation instead.

Jokes aside, I never even heard of those islands. Learn something everyday.
    Haha point taken. I'm more so trying to sell them though, because they don't seem to be a mainstream vacation destination, even though they should be.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

If they were, maybe it wouldn't be so secluded? Leave em be! lol

Reminds me of a beach I went to in Greece.

Porto Heli, in Levkada. My cousins live about an hour away from it, and the last time I was there they told me how ruined it is now with all the tourists. I went 2 years ago to see for myself and it was filled with tourists compared to the 12 years ago I was there.

It was literally a challenge to find spots for your towels and just ruined the memory I had from years ago. Beautiful beach though. Google it.

Dobber Sports Master

As an aside, if you get yourself killed doing something stupid on the Galapagos Islands do you get some kind of 'double darwin' award?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Giant

I was considering a South Africa trip in the near future to see the wildlife but these islands seem to be very special as well.

I will read up on them further and see with my wife what she would prefer. I love the fact that you said that animals are not afraid of you due to the lack of predators; I mean, you may not get to see a lion 20 feet away but you will get to interact with other animals in a different and rewarding way.

Thanks for sharing EB and glad you had fun!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

The Great One

How does one go about planning a trip to the Galapagos Isles

Dobber Sports Master

You start just like any other trip only at some point you cut off outside influences and it evolves on its own...

#Ineedhelpfortheloveofgod
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    All i know about the Galapagos Islands is that if you draw a line on a map right down from Thunder Bay, you hit them. Sooooo you could say I've practically been there.
    Yes... they're very similar places .................................................. .................................................. ......... umm................... Heh...
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

The only flights in are from mainland Ecuador, get there somehow and you can manage getting to/from.
    Decide if you want to stay at a hotel/hostel/B&B on land (I did a B&B and would recommend) or if you want to do a cruise. Research the islands as they are all very unique, and see which are most attractive to you. Plan day trips to desired islands. Enjoy

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I was considering a South Africa trip in the near future to see the wildlife but these islands seem to be very special as well.

I will read up on them further and see with my wife what she would prefer. I love the fact that you said that animals are not afraid of you due to the lack of predators; I mean, you may not get to see a lion 20 feet away but you will get to interact with other animals in a different and rewarding way.

Thanks for sharing EB and glad you had fun!
    Exactly. It's not the same size scale of the animals as an African safari, but it's a completely different experience. The animals aren't afraid of you, AND you don't have to be afraid of the animals.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Exactly. It's not the same size scale of the animals as an African safari, but it's a completely different experience. The animals aren't afraid of you, AND you don't have to be afraid of the animals.
    The more and more I read on the islands, the more and more it sounds like Thunder Bay. The biggest similarity is you could study Darwinism in both places. No way are humans naturally built to live in TB

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The more and more I read on the islands, the more and more it sounds like Thunder Bay. The biggest similarity is you could study Darwinism in both places. No way are humans naturally built to live in TB
    Maybe you're on to something. We're not build to live at the South or North Pole either, and you can dray a straight line up/down to each of them from Thunder Bay. Coincidence?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Maybe you're on to something. We're not build to live at the South or North Pole either, and you can dray a straight line up/down to each of them from Thunder Bay. Coincidence?
    The native animals (Horse flies) aren't scared of you either in Thunder Bay.