Thread: Cap Dump Trade

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Cap Dump Trade

Marian Hossa (5.25) + Colin Wilson (3.8) + Rickard Rakell (3.8)
    For
    Jeff Carter (5.25)
    16 team dynasty league
    Cats: G, A, SOG, STP, PIM, HIT, BLK
    I need to move some cap before next year and sadly I need to trade Rakell to get rid of Hossa and Wilson's contacts.
    Not a big fan of Jeff Carter but I already have Toffoli so could have a deadly duo.
    Is this a smart trade? Is freeing up 7.6 million in cap worth losing Rakell?
    Thanks

The Great One

Default Re: Cap Dump Trade

I guess the key point is here is what does that 7.6 million in savings allow you to do?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I guess the key point is here is what does that 7.6 million in savings allow you to do?
    Welcome to the forums!

First off, I agree with Sulla as to what that allows you to do. To know this it would help if we knew a bit more information about the type of league (full-keeper or limited keeper), what stats configuration your league uses and what your team looks like before this trade.

Thanks and enjoy the community, its a great place for fantasy and real hockey talk.

Dobber Sports Giant

Welcome to the boards KushnerCodiene!

I would try to swing Wilson and Hossa (not incl. Rakell considering his great output/amazing cap hit until 2022) and get a lesser player than Carter for the package.

Rakell could end up as valuable as Carter in a year or two when he keeps on peaking and Carter begins to decline. If you can't get anything for the 2 other guys combined, maybe try to get more than just Carter out of the current offer.

PS: You DON'T have to move Rakell. I get it that you won't land much for the 2 other guys but there is no reason to move such a great contract to get rid of 2 other ones... I would almost prefer to drop them rather than not getting full value for Rakell...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Wizard

Carter is a really good player, especially for those cats. But I assume you can't drop players which is why you're trying to dump Hossa and Wilson, then Carter could become another one of those cases because he has 5 more years left on his contract. He'll be really good for another 2-3 years but those final years will be less than great most likely, so I'm not sure I'd want to acquire him if you're not allowed to drop players.

Dobber Sports Genius

Can you just simply drop Hossa and Wilson?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Titan

I would do the deal even not in a cap league. The savings from that are a huge plus on top of it!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)