Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Signing] - Canes sign Darling

Administrator

Default Re: [Signing] - Canes sign Darling

Only way I see Lack getting traded is if Hurricanes retain the max amount of his cap hit.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by CHunter View Post
    Ward will now backup in Vegas....
    I doubt Vegas has any interest in Ward but I guess anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NikW71 View Post
    Elliotte Friedman said in one of his 30 thoughts that Lack would be traded in the off-season after Bill Peters roasted him in the media. Not sure to who but I don't anticipate him being in Carolina next season.
    I also doubt they're able to trade Lack (even if they retain 50%), so a buyout could happen.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It would be smarter to keep Lack, so instead they'll keep Ward. Oh well, best backup in the league.
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Ninja

4 years at $4+M per year for a proven back up with starter potential? Am I wrong in thinking that they likely could have signed him for the same annual cost, but only 2 years term? Seriously, who else would have paid that for Darling? I'm not saying it was a mistake or that Darling won't work out to be the next Talbot, but I feel like Carolina could have saved a couple of years if it doesn't work out. Risk management 101?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    4 years at $4+M per year for a proven back up with starter potential? Am I wrong in thinking that they likely could have signed him for the same annual cost, but only 2 years term? Seriously, who else would have paid that for Darling? I'm not saying it was a mistake or that Darling won't work out to be the next Talbot, but I feel like Carolina could have saved a couple of years if it doesn't work out. Risk management 101?
    I see your point, but if memory serves me correctly, Darling was going to be a UFA and didn't need to sign with Carolina. My guess is term is what got him to sign on the dotted line...

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NikW71 View Post
    Elliotte Friedman said in one of his 30 thoughts that Lack would be traded in the off-season after Bill Peters roasted him in the media. Not sure to who but I don't anticipate him being in Carolina next season.
    Wonder if there's some kind of deal with Vegas. They take Lack and get ______________ .
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Wonder if there's some kind of deal with Vegas. They take Lack and get ______________ .
    Too many other options available to be selected in the expansion draft. I suppose it's possible.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Vancouver somehow. That's where he had some success.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

I don't think they were getting Darling to sign before hitting free agency without offering up significant term. Who else would have offered it? Calgary, Vegas, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Dallas, and potentially Colorado and Arizona all have forecasted openings in goal.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

Like the other guy said, Darling was going to be UFA....so Carolina had to pay the July 1st price. If they feel he is a number 1 goalie, then the cap hit is reasonable. And it's clear they needed to do something about their goaltending. I expect either Ward or Lack gets bought out....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    I see your point, but if memory serves me correctly, Darling was going to be a UFA and didn't need to sign with Carolina. My guess is term is what got him to sign on the dotted line...
    Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I don't think they were getting Darling to sign before hitting free agency without offering up significant term. Who else would have offered it? Calgary, Vegas, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Dallas, and potentially Colorado and Arizona all have forecasted openings in goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Like the other guy said, Darling was going to be UFA....so Carolina had to pay the July 1st price. If they feel he is a number 1 goalie, then the cap hit is reasonable. And it's clear they needed to do something about their goaltending. I expect either Ward or Lack gets bought out....
    No doubt the term was a major factor in this signing, but I can't help but think what other team needs to risk signing a proven back-up as their starter...for four years? Even the Oilers only signed Talbot for 3 years!

Also, if any of Calgary (Elliott/Johnson), Vancouver (Miller/Markstrom), Philadelphia (Mason) and maybe Colorado (Varlamov/Pickard) and Arizona (Smith) were to sign Darling, then one or both of the goalies in brackets would be available. Carolina must have REALLY saw something they liked in Darling.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

No doubt the term was a major factor in this signing, but I can't help but think what other team needs to risk signing a proven back-up as their starter...for four years? Even the Oilers only signed Talbot for 3 years!

Also, if any of Calgary (Elliott/Johnson), Vancouver (Miller/Markstrom), Philadelphia (Mason) and maybe Colorado (Varlamov/Pickard) and Arizona (Smith) were to sign Darling, then one or both of the goalies in brackets would be available. Carolina must have REALLY saw something they liked in Darling.
    I believe Talbot was a RFA and got a 3 year deal. Martin Jones was also an RFA that got a 3 year deal. So in that respect, not a great comparable to Darling (UFA). I think they see something they REALLY like, so put Darling down as a "golden boy" for the next 3 years

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I believe Talbot was a RFA and got a 3 year deal. Martin Jones was also an RFA that got a 3 year deal. So in that respect, not a great comparable to Darling (UFA). I think they see something they REALLY like, so put Darling down as a "golden boy" for the next 3 years
    Nope, Talbot was UFA according to Cap Friendly: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/cam-talbot

Never used Jones as a comparable (phew, just lucky though as I was too lazy to go through enough teams to get to the S teams...lol!)

The Great One

Me bad. Your're right, and the sad part is I actually checked capfriendly before I typed that post, haha. I'm a few cards short of a full deck this weekend...

Administrator

Nope, Talbot was UFA according to Cap Friendly: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/cam-talbot

Never used Jones as a comparable (phew, just lucky though as I was too lazy to go through enough teams to get to the S teams...lol!)
    Talbot also signed his deal mid-way through last season so it was more extension than outright UFA signing.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Titan

Scott Darling is older than any of his defensemen, and all but 1 forward on their current roster (McClement and he’s a UFA this summer). Darling is only 28yrs old.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll