Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to start talking about Joel Edmundson?

The Great One

Default Is it time to start talking about Joel Edmundson?

Going into tonight, he's at 6 points in 10 games in the playoffs. Yes, that's a tiny sample size, but let's say the Blues are eliminated tonight - this is a pretty good impression for him to leave going into the offseason. Could he turn into a peak Dennis Seidenberg, Travis Hamonic or Kevin Bieksa type, with 25-30+ points per season and very solid peripherals? Can someone who watches Blues games chime in about how he looks out there? Is this a whole lot of right place right time, or is something truly afoot?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Is it time to start talking about Joel Edmundson?

I dunno, is Krejci a point per game player in the regular season?

Can we be optimistic about Edmundson and still be as pessimistic as you are about Guentzel? Lots of double standard questions here to be answered.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I dunno, is Krejci a point per game player in the regular season?

Can we be optimistic about Edmundson and still be as pessimistic as you are about Guentzel? Lots of double standard questions here to be answered.
    The question was whether to start talking about him and if - IF - he might be on a course to be likened to other players. And I even asked for actual firsthand input from those who've seen him play,. i.e., going beyond the numbers, which if I'm not mistaken you keep saying I'm overly beholden too!

As always, feel free to chirp me all you want, but in this case I really think you went out of your way to do so in a manner that, frankly, was uncalled for and just makes you look petty and vindictive.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Your opinion.

I think they're valid points.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Going into tonight, he's at 6 points in 10 games in the playoffs. Yes, that's a tiny sample size, but let's say the Blues are eliminated tonight - this is a pretty good impression for him to leave going into the offseason. Could he turn into a peak Dennis Seidenberg, Travis Hamonic or Kevin Bieksa type, with 25-30+ points per season and very solid peripherals? Can someone who watches Blues games chime in about how he looks out there? Is this a whole lot of right place right time, or is something truly afoot?
    I think it's a combination of a small sample size and good fortune. No way he gets 25-30 points without regular PP time and that won't happen with Pietrangelo and Parayko on the roster.

The numbers tell the story:

http://dobberhockey.com/players/joel...-2017/playoffs

Dobber Sports Wizard

He hasn't really done anything noticeable. I think the Blues will acquire a top-4 D-man which would push Edmundson back to the 3rd pair where he really belongs.

Dobber Sports Sage

Nearly every year there's some joker who comes out of nowhere to post a very respectable playoff performance, then goes back to mediocrity. Bickell did this a few years ago and ended up with a nice contract. Donskoi did it for SJ last year and caused some to think he might actually amount to something this year. Edmundson isnt going to be a star, this isnt his breakout, he is what we already know he is--just a guy on a nice streak when it happens to count more so it is more noticable.

The Great One

I've been talking about Edmundson for a couple months now.

Solid player who has the potential to put up points. I would draft him in my upcoming draft in the later rounds for sure.....full dynasty, points only

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've been keeping an eye on Edmundson all year and his playoff performance so far is certainly encouraging. If you are in a fairly deep roto league with cap, this guy could have great value next year. If the stars align 25pts, 80 PIM, 150 Hits, 125 blks and a 100 SOG for 1 Mil ain't bad, you could do worse.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Nearly every year there's some joker who comes out of nowhere to post a very respectable playoff performance, then goes back to mediocrity. Bickell did this a few years ago and ended up with a nice contract. Donskoi did it for SJ last year and caused some to think he might actually amount to something this year. Edmundson isnt going to be a star, this isnt his breakout, he is what we already know he is--just a guy on a nice streak when it happens to count more so it is more noticable.
    When they are rewarded with a far-too-large contract for their outlier playoff performance I call this the Fernando Pisani effect.
    10 Team H2H - Points
    Roster: 4C, 3RW, 3LW, 5D, 2U, 3B, 3IR, 4G (Start 2)
    Skater Stats: G(3), A(2), PIM(0.5), PPP(2), SHP(3), GWG(2), SOG (0.1), HITS(0.1), BLKS(0.2)
    Goalie Stats: W(3), OTL (1), GA(-1), SV(0.2), SO(3)

C - Patrice Bergeron, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Bo Horvat, Mathew Barzal, Nathan MacKinnon, Jack Eichel
    RW - Mark Stone, Tler Toffoli, Brock Boeser, Dustin Brown (RW/LW).
    LW -Jonathan Huberdeau, Jake Guentzel, Teuvo Teravainen, Vladislav Namestnikov (LW/RW/C)
    D - Victor Hedman, Roman Josi, Colton Parayko, Mike Green, Nick Leddy, Rasmus Ristolainen.
    G - Carey Price, Scott Darling, Roberto Luongo.
    IR - Cam Talbot, Mika Zibanejad.

The Great One

Agree with Bubba55... A pleasant surprise for those who drafted him in a play off pool but not indicative of what he will be in future seasons. At best he is a 3-4 with 2nd pp but I'd be far more comfortable with him rounding out my bottom pairing which is all I see him doing in St Louis... Serviceable but don't think he will be the next big thing in fantasy
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

Of course he won't be the next big thing - what I wondered was whether he could rise to a Seidenberg, Hamonic, or Bieksa level. Notably last night he got the second most PP Time among Blues d-men, so it could make for an interesting offseason storyline.

I'm still waiting for someone to chime in who's seen a lot of these playoffs games. Is Edmundson just lucking into these points or is there seemingly sort of spark there?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Could Edmundson rise to a Seidenberg, Hamonic, or Bieksa level? I believe there is that possibility. I haven't watched every one of his shifts, but what I have seen is a hockey smart, big body well poised defender who skates well and moves the puck well and that, at the age of 23. His +12 regular season and + 11 playoff +/- is worth taking note of. Whether the offensive numbers come will depend on opportunity. I think he has earned the trust of the coach, that's huge, and with that could come additional ice time and solidifying a spot on the 2nd PP next year is not at all out of the realm of possibility. No one knows what will happen next year, but from what I've seen, if your looking for a 3-4-5 Defencemen who contributes stats across the board with a small cap hit, this guy should definitely be on your radar.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Of course he won't be the next big thing - what I wondered was whether he could rise to a Seidenberg, Hamonic, or Bieksa level. Notably last night he got the second most PP Time among Blues d-men, so it could make for an interesting offseason storyline.

I'm still waiting for someone to chime in who's seen a lot of these playoffs games. Is Edmundson just lucking into these points or is there seemingly sort of spark there?
    I think I saw all their round 2 games, and I didn't see any kind of spark. But of course if he continues playing with Parayko, he'll get some points out of that situation. But I just think they'll replace him with an upgrade and move him back to 3rd pair where he belongs.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

From what I've seen Edmunson is a very vanilla player who is solid for real NHL-value, but just won't ever be a big scorer.
    I can't say I ever saw him play in AHL or WHL, but the stats sure aren't there.
    I think its simply good performance in a small sample size thrust in front of us.
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=130643