Thread: Marc Andre Fleury - Dynasty Value

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Marc Andre Fleury - Dynasty Value

Let's talk about Marc Andre Fleury. His play in the first two rounds of these 2017 playoffs has turned heads.

What does this run do to his value in a dynasty league?

Say 16 - 20 teams in a daily start 2 goalie league with a CATS of W, GAA, SV%, SO.

Who are his direct comparables right now? Where does MAF end up? Thoughts?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Marc Andre Fleury - Dynasty Value

I'd still have him in the 9 to 15 range depending on where he lands.

I've tried buying low on him in a few leagues but no luck. He's a good goalie, not elite, but in the right situation he can still be a top 10 guy. He would be a nice gamble if you could get him at a reasonable price.

I still have a gut feeling he ends up in Calgary, I've been saying it all year but it hasn't happened. If he ended up there I'd probably have him around the 10 spot. Dallas is another likely suspect, but I do not trust that blue line, if he ends up there I'd rank him closer to 15.

The Great One

I think he ends up in Pittsburgh...

Dobber Sports Stud

if he ends up in dallas, that's a great landing spot for him. going to a team with a defensive coach, and you know that the D will be better. they'll be one of the better bounce back teams. and their D will get better as their young guys get older. I expect Lindell to take a nice step forward, klingberg had a great second half.

The Great One

He's definitely had an uptick in value right now as there is a trail of thought that he now stays in Pitts. Personally I don't buy it as that committs around 10 million in cap space to goalies and is a recipe for disaster - persinally I think Pitts off season plan remains the same and his landing spot is what will dictate how good he could be next season...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    He's definitely had an uptick in value right now as there is a trail of thought that he now stays in Pitts. Personally I don't buy it as that committs around 10 million in cap space to goalies and is a recipe for disaster - persinally I think Pitts off season plan remains the same and his landing spot is what will dictate how good he could be next season...
    agreed. even if the pens win the cup, which I think they are clearly favored to do now, fleury is getting traded and murray is the future. the only difference this playoffs has made is that Fleury's value will be higher now in whatever trade the pens make than it was a couple of weeks ago.

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't expect him to be in Pittsburgh next year at all. The Pens are not going to pay him over $5M to watch Matt Murray play. The management has more respect for him that to let him rot on the bench. They will try and find a starting role for him somewhere.

I am not saying he will be in Vegas or even exposed in the expansion draft, but I highly doubt he's in Pittsburgh. I think they trade him to a team that's looking for a starter.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Another aspect here - in a 16+ team league, with 2 goalie spots per night... *ALL* goalies have a lot of value, especially those that are considered starters.

An obvious point, perhaps, but one that needs to be included.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Stud

now with bishop in dallas, the odds of fleury winding up in Calgary have just skyrocketed. and that would be a very good fit for him. I can't see them looking for a steve mason-type, since they already had a fringe number one goalie last year, and that didn't work out well. they need a bonafide number one starter, and fleury is the only one left. the only question is whether he'd want to go there, since he controls his own destiny, but where else will he get such a good chance to win? he'll go.
    he still definitely won't be in Pittsburgh!!!

Dobber Sports Master

I wonder if the Canucks would be in on Fleury

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I wonder if the Canucks would be in on Fleury
    no way would fleury agree to go to the canucks. he's starting to get older, he isn't going to go to a team that has basically just begun their rebuild.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Two cool little stories about MAF I thought I would share with you guys.

#1) He’s from Sorel (Quebec) and when he got his signing bonus from being a #1 overall pick he shortly thereafter went to a boat dealership in Sorel to buy an expensive boat and the salesman didn’t know who he was and didn’t take his request seriously since Fleury obviously looked like the skinny 18 year old kid that he was back then. Marc-Andr? then went to speak with the manager and told him ‘’You just lost a big sale buddy’’. Imagine being the arrogant salesman and finding out who the kid actually is. What a reality check that must have been.

#2) MAF bought my friend’s parents childhood home which is located 2 houses away from my parents’ house right on the St-Lawrence river. He’s tearing it down and building a super mansion. Hoping to run into him at some point and go see his man cave with his multiple Hockey trophies. Seems unlikely but hey, we never know.
    http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...uxe-et-actions
    MAF.jpg

From a fantasy perspective, I would absolutely get him in a yearly league but would most likely hold off in a keeper league as the decline is inevitable.
    12-team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (10 keepers)
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, SHOTS BLOCKED, W, GAA, Saves, Save%

Original draft was 2015
    Year #1 = Tanked hard (finished last)
    Year #2 = Playoff League Champion
    Year #3 = Lost in Playoffs but traded Murray for 2nd best odds at #1. (Will draft Dahlin).

10 Keepers
    Keepers: C.McDavid (C), J.Eichel (C), A.Matthews (C), P.Laine (LW-RW), J.Gaudreau (LW), N.Ehlers (LW-RW), C.Keller (LW), T.Rask (G), A.Vasilevskiy (G) + ??? (Keeper #10)
    Potential Keepers : J.Saros, T.Demko, M.Sergachev, M.Duchene, J.Puljujarvi.
    Other Players: Not worth mentioning...