Thread: Next PP QB in TOR

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Next Elite PP QB in TOR

Calling all Leafs watchers...

Over the next several years, is it Rielly or Gardiner that will harness the spot on the top PP?

Who's got the higher ceeling?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Next PP QB in TOR

I think they will shuffle back and forth a bit on top PP, but I think that when the year is in the books Rielly will have gotten around 50% of the PP time. I think he will score more points, put more shots on goal, hit more people, and block more shots than Gardiner. I also think they will be a wash in +/-, which was a sore spot for Rielly for most of the year - but he finished the last 30 days of regular season and the playoffs (21 games) a combined +3.

Gardiner may be the better one defensively, but for fantasy (especially multi-cat) my money is on Rielly to break out and produce better next year. I think the current perception is that buying on Rielly now would require overpayment, but I believe that at the end of the year people will look back and see that this was a buy low opportunity.

Administrator

I don't think either one is the undisputed best offensive guy so it will continue to change based on momentum.

I'd say Rielly has the higher ceiling by far. Just not getting the opportunity to put it all together.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'd say Rielly has the higher ceiling by far. Just not getting the opportunity to put it all together.
    I couldn't agree more. EA Sports NHL 17 is probably not the most relevant thing in the world, but I agree with their outlook on the "Potential" for Rielly and Gardiner. They rate Gardiner's Potential as "Top 4 D" which he has already achieved, but I don't really see a ton of additional growth going forward for him. They rate Rielly's Potential as "Elite", which he hasn't reached but I like his chances to do so over the next few years.

Dobber Sports Titan

PP QB is going to be a forward on the half boards. Nylander, Matthews or Marner. Depending on the Line (Nylander/Matthews PP1, Marner PP2), and the side they work on (Matthews Left, Nylander Right).

The PPD1 is going to be Zaits/Rielly/Gardiner in no specific order. Rielly got PP time in the playoffs, so maybe that was the next step for him to get onto the PP1.

Except the team needs a power shot from the point if they run a PP from the half boards. Gardiner/Rielly don’t have that, but at least Gardiner takes clappers; Rielly has no confidence in his slapshot and just wrists it in. It works when there’s traffic, but there usually isn’t a rebound.

Zaitsev does have a shot, but seems to be very “Kaberle” when it comes to passing on the powerplay.

I hope they work on their PP for next season because it got very stale and predictable in the back 5th of the season. The zone entries were expected, the play of “Matthews cross seam to Nylander” was always locked down (and a lack of one-timer from the point made it easy to cheat to cover the cross pass), and teams knew to give Marner 0 time. If they work on getting everyone to skate around and shift and move to get a guy lost in coverage, then their PP will work out again. The best way (in my eyes) to help all of this is to get Rielly on the PP, and learning to use a slapshot more often.

Issue with that is, I think Rielly uses a whippy stick (bad for slappers), and seems to not be on the same page as PP guys ever. If Rielly can get a slapshot developed he’s a solid PPD1 moving forward, if Zaitsev can learn to be selfish and shoot quickly (no hesitation) he’s a solid PPD1.

Right now, Gardiner does the two issues Zaits and Rielly have decently.

Long story short, Gardiners to lose, Zaitsev and Rielly’s to develop into.I kinda rambled there.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

I talk about this in my cage match posted today
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The best way (in my eyes) to help all of this is to get Rielly on the PP, and learning to use a slapshot more often.

Issue with that is, I think Rielly uses a whippy stick (bad for slappers), and seems to not be on the same page as PP guys ever. If Rielly can get a slapshot developed he’s a solid PPD1 moving forward
    I have a feeling this is going to be something Rielly puts significant work into this offseason. This past offseason and season it seemed like the entire focus of Rielly's development was on the defensive side, with little or no focus on his offensive development. Since he showed significant improvement defensively toward the end of the season when he was healthy and in the playoffs, I think they will start to encourage him to work more on his offense - and in particular his slap shot. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I talk about this in my cage match posted today
    I'll have to go read that now. Thx for the heads up.

Edit: Darn, I was hoping Rielly was one of the combatants. Good work though, as usual.

Dobber Sports Newbie

This is all great stuff thanks all

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Couldn't agree more with Breadman here. There is a plan, offense was an after-thought this year. This will shift it's just a matter of when IMO. Shore up the weak areas while the whole team develops around you.

7 Teams, points only, roster 30 w/ up to 4 'prospect' spots, keep 12
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 2 Teams - G/A/GWG = 1 pt., Hat Trick = 5 pts.
    Teams - Win = 2 pts., Loss = -1 pt., SO = 5 pts.
    Up to 3 waiver pickups/yr. (2 remaining)

F: Matthews, Marner, Scheifele, Kuznetsov, Pastrnak, Gaudreau, Panarin, Mantha, Schenn, Schwartz, Lindholm, Arvidsson, Johnsson, Connor, Svechnikov, Miller
    (P) J. Hughes, Lafreniere
    D:
    Burns, Pietrangelo, Klefbom, Trouba, OEL, Gustafsson, Schultz, Gostisbehere
    (P) Theodore
    T: Vegas, Colorado, Calgary