Thread: Skjei vs. Gardiner - who ya got?

The Great One

Default Skjei vs. Gardiner - who ya got?

Those are the two combatants for this week's cage match: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...jake-gardiner/

In the column I take a look at Skjei's numbers and see whether he's poised to improve, do worse, or stay about the same, plus talk about how vulnerable he might be if the Rangers sign a UFA (Shattenkirk, Markov) this summer. For Gardiner, I focus on seeing whether his big jump in points is sustainable or perhaps can even be improved upon, or whether instead it's the by product of unsustainable good luck.

Give the column a read and come back here to discuss, especially if you own either player. Or just give your general feedback. Do you think Skjei's output was tied to unsustainably favorable offensive zone deployment and/or the lack of better options for the Rangers? Or is he just scratching the surface? For Gardiner, do you think he can maintain a stranglehold on PP1, or will the Leafs turn to newly re-signed Zaitsev or Rielly, who looked much more offensively dialed in during the playoffs?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Skjei vs. Gardiner - you ya got?

Nice read Rick!
    FWIW, I got Skjei but it's very close. The age difference is what tips the scales for me as I see both guys generate a little under 40 points on a given year with a max of 45 during a great run.

Side note: I actually sold high on Skjei myself. I sent him, Ekholm and Ryan to a manager for Yandle. Considering my limited keeper spaces, this was a no-brainer, but I think even without a set number of spots, I would have probably preferred quality over quantity anyways.
    I still think that Skjei is a talented young D, however, his current offensive output is a tad higher than what we can expect for years to come.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My money would be on Skjei - in a points only pool. Gardiner is part of a three-headed monster searching for quality ice-time in Toronto (Reilly, Zaitsev, Gardiner) that is going to be around for the foreseeable future. At this time it's conjecture that Skjei will lose ice-time to a maybe free agent signing. I've seen quite a few Rangers' games and Skjei looks remarkably poised for a rookie defenceman. I think he's not a natural PP quarterback but his game is built for today's NHL. My projection for him next year is 10 PPP and 35 5x5 points.

Dobber Sports Giant

if also go with skjei. might be a rangers bias though.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Skjei vs. Gardiner - who ya got?

I would take Skjei here as well.

Great cage match article as usual.

Dobber Sports Deity

Good read.

I prefer Skjei.

I am not sure if Gardiner ever gets the opportunity in Toronto that he deserves. As I have mentioned before, I think he's the best Dman on the Leafs roster but he still seems to take a back seat to Rielly and Zaitsev.

Skjei is still being handled a bit with kid gloves in NY but he still put up excellent numbers for a rookie. I think there's another level to his game that we have yet to see.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Before reading the article, I'll take Gardiner.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'll take Gardiner. A lot depends on whether NYR bring in a big Dman this summer... if Shattenkirk signs, there goes PP1 time for Skjei, severely limiting his value. McD would snipe a lot of PP2 time leaving him on a 5-5 island.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Before reading the article, I'll take Gardiner.
    And after reading??
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    And after reading??
    I'll let you know.

Just watching these $TSLA and $FB earnings......

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I'll let you know.

Just watching these $TSLA and $FB earnings......
    Hehe, focus on that Guru; without a doubt there is more value there!

Minors:

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

really great column Rizzee, I'm on the Gardiner express- think Babcock has done a nice job finding him safe minutes on the second pairing at even strength and exploiting Gardiner's puck moving skills within the Leafs 4F PP. He's found the place where this offense level can be sustained, but I think he's near his ceiling now. I would suggest that unless Babcock changes his approach, or they fill that missing #1D this summer, Rielly is being relied upon in far to much at evens and short handed (42% and 46% of SH time since Babcock arrived) to be expected to also run the PP.
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020