Thread: Hellebucyk - buy or sell

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Hellebucyk - buy or sell

hellebucyk is gonna be one of the most talked about players this offseason. lots of threads have gone up about him already, but I have a simple question: I know that helly's future will be determined by who the jets sign to play with him this season (assuming they do sign someone). after his difficult season, would you buy low on helly, or do you think there's more difficult times to come (especially with eric comrie around) and you try and sell considering he still has very nice value (just no where near what it was a year ago)?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Hellebucyk - buy or sell

In my league, he has little value this off-season for a trade (10 teams with two counting goalies, he's tier 2 at best) so I'm holding for another year and crossing fingers. I'm not too worried about Comrie this year, but the tire fire of a defence in a Winnipeg has me concerned so I just picked up Rinne as insurance. If I didn't own him, I would be looking to buy low tho.
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020

Dobber Sports Deity

As I have said many times in many other threads, if it's a full keeper, you hold.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

I think you should keep him, especially if you have Rinne as your other option who only has another couple years left himself. By then, it will be clearer whether or not you should keep Hellebuck or let him go.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    would you buy low on helly, or do you think there's more difficult times to come (especially with eric comrie around) and you try and sell considering he still has very nice value (just no where near what it was a year ago)?
    I would say yes. Hutchinson is signed for another year and maybe at some point next year he goes down to AHL (assuming he clears waivers) and Comrie might come up. I think it's likely to be Helly's crease for another year or two, at least.

I'm sure you've heard all of these before, so I won't repeat them:
    "The talent is there..."
    "Look at Carey Price..."
    "His numbers were better near the end of the season..."
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

The Great One

I don't think he has much value right now, in most leagues. I've tried dealing him in my league, and no one is interested in him.

For that reason alone, I'd hang onto him. I don't like trading players whose value is at an all-time low.

It might not work out, if Winnipeg signs someone like Bishop (not likely, but using that as an example) or Fleury (or even someone like Bernier or Elliott), but if they don't sign a goalie this summer and stick with Hellebuyck and Hutchinson, you should be rewarded by being patient.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Giant

Hold on to this KID. Very few goalies are able to handle the reins of a crease at such a young age. To say that this KID had a ''bad'' season is not that accurate IMO. It's funny how his, Hutchinson and Pavelec's numbers went down this year from last year... If all things remained the same from 2015-16 to 2016-17, then Hutchinson or Pavelec at least should have thrived while Helle struggled, no? All 3 had sub-par-to-crappy years (and Hellebuyck was the best of the 3) so I would look at the system rather than focusing solely on the goalie's performance. I'm not saying that he was good though... he did have some rough nights, but like any other tender did. The only problem is that when he was playing well, the team in front of him did not give him the support to get better statistical numbers and in turn, everyone paid for it (team standings, Helle's stats, ...)

Be patient and give the KID a chance. He turns 24 in a few days; I'm sure he wants to turn things around as much as his owners do so don't be surprised if the Jets stick with him and he rewards them for it come next year! I own him in my keeper and I have been following his progress since I drafted him 5 years ago. He has the skill to thrive as a starter; don't be fooled by this year's numbers!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

The Great One

Cost to do either plays a part here... If I can get someone to still over pay I do, if he is cheap enough I acquire but his value shouldn't be where it was last Sunner to acquire him (though personally I don't think the outlook is any different)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

Im buying especially in a keeper. Peg gets their d squared away and he will be fine...very fine.

ps.. I own him in my dynasty..

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Deity

FWIW, I still think Eric Comrie is the future for Winnipeg but I still wouldn't be selling Hellebuyck.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."