Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guentzel

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Guentzel

Is this guy for real? What do you think he will be in future, 50 pt guy, 60, PPG?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Guentzel

i say the kid has the skill on his own to be 50-60, w/ Sid he can be more especially if he gets more PP time
    14 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Zibanejad
    LW: E.Kane, Panarin, Huberdeau, Marchand, Landeskog
    RW: Rantanen, Zuccarello
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Chychrun, Drysdale
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Markstrom
    Prospects: Carlsson, Raty, Berggren, Miroshnichenko, Othmann, Clarke, Gulyayev, Nikishin, Wallstadt, Wolf

16 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Duchene, Schenn, Johansen, Monahan, Krebs, Pageau
    LW: E.Kane, Pacioretty, Vrana, Hoffman
    RW: Tuch, Stone, Wilson, Batherson, Sprong, Gallagher, Wahlstrom
    D: Dahlin, Hamilton, Letang, Dumba, Kylington, Liljegren
    G: Allen
    Prospects: Byfield, Guenther, Rossi, Perreault, Nikishin

The Great One

55-65 is where I draft him with maybe a little reach but nothing extravagant... Key will be Sid's health though and the latest game has thrown that into some long term doubt
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

You'll find some insight on Guentzel from a few members here: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...en-vs-Guentzel

The way I see it, there are those who firmly believe that Guentzel's 'bursting onto the scene' is because he's playing with Crosby, and others who see him as the real deal.

I'd put myself in the latter, as he's received nothing but praise from NCAA to Wilkes-Barre for being intelligent, fast and highly skilled.

You can read more on him here: http://www.dobberprospects.com/jake-guentzel/

Finally, to answer your question I'd agree with Sulla (55-65 points).
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

The Great One

Further to what Poutine said above, it's only a bit of exaggeration to say there have been roughly 973 threads on him in the forums over the last month and you can find tons of insight there. The search function is your friend.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

People starting to get convinced he's the real deal yet?

Or everyone still thinking he's the next Eric Tangradi?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

His offence has cooled a bit since Crosby's bump on the head (to be expected), but it's still there.

Dobber Sports Pro

I traded for him yesterday. My Ryan Johansen (2% of salary cap) and Taylor Hall (14% of salary cap) for his Guentzel (2% of salary cap) and Claude Giroux (14% of salary cap).

Hall would have been a salary dump candidate for me next offseason due to cap reasons, and Giroux will be too. So really I did the deal because I like Guentzel's long term outlook better than Johansen's. I think he can be the Panarin to Crosby's Kane, and I think that once Crosby slows down or retires, Guentzel still has a strong enough game to put up good numbers with whoever else he plays with.

I don't like how Johansen is starting to mold his game into more of a Backstrom/Wennberg style with an emphasis on playmaking, resulting in minimal shooting and goal scoring.

He's making skill plays that have nothing to do with Sid. He's creating, instead of just benefiting. Kid is gonna be good.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    He's making skill plays that have nothing to do with Sid. He's creating, instead of just benefiting. Kid is gonna be good.
    Yep. His hockey IQ is clearly very high, and while his physical tools aren't elite they are clearly sufficient to execute the plays that his IQ tells him to make.

My biggest (and really only) concern with him going forward is when/if he will be able to carve out a significant amount of consistent power play time.

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Yep. His hockey IQ is clearly very high, and while his physical tools aren't elite they are clearly sufficient to execute the plays that his IQ tells him to make.

My biggest (and really only) concern with him going forward is when/if he will be able to carve out a significant amount of consistent power play time.
    As early as next season I think. He's already first replacement option for Hornqvist.

Dobber Sports Pro

"Oh Darn Crosby is hurt, looks like Guentzel will have to play with this bum Evgeni Malkin" I think people forget that he has good chemistry with Geno as well.

I'd say Guentzel is for sure 55-65 points on his own. But the Geno / Sid bump could put him in the 65-75 range. But I do agree he should get more PP time, possibly next season, but it depends on Horny's contract demands
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    As early as next season I think. He's already first replacement option for Hornqvist.
    Yeah, Hornqvist is the most logical one for him to potentially replace on PP1 if Pitt keeps stacking the top PP. I suppose there is also a chance that they try to run two more balanced PP lines, but that seems less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Yeah, Hornqvist is the most logical one for him to potentially replace on PP1 if Pitt keeps stacking the top PP. I suppose there is also a chance that they try to run two more balanced PP lines, but that seems less likely.
    I don't think that will happen because Crosby isn't really awesome on the PP. You can't have Malkin run one and Crosby run one. They also don't have any other player that can shoot like Malkin.

Dobber Sports Pro

Relevant comments from Dobber re: Pitt Powerplay from one of his ramblings:

Sharing just because it is relevant to the convo, not in order to make any kind of point.

• Leafs201024 days ago Good luck to Sheary and Guentzel hitting 85 pts without PP1 time

• Dobber Leafs201024 days ago Do believe that if any player is on an 85-point pace 20 games in, that they won't be moved up to the PP1? That the coach would remain blind and not adjust accordingly?

• Greg Hambly Dobber24 days ago If healthy, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Letang are all PP1 locks. How do Guentzel and Sheary both make it up there? With injuries there may be times, but as much as I love that line, I don't see Sheary up on PP1 without a few injuries. Guentzel will get the first look and don't count out Sprong eventually getting in the mix, if injuries happen...he looks like the real deal.

• Dobber Greg Hambly24 days ago If they are on 85-point pace, then the smart coaching move would be:
      PP1A: Cros-Shea-Guen-Malk-Letang
      PP1B: Malk-Kess-Horn-Cros-Schult
      With Daley pinching in for Sid/Gino if they're tired.
      You can equally say "Marner and Matthews are locks for PP1", right? But that's not how it works - Leafs role a 1A/1B scenario and keep the line combos mostly intact. This situation happens all the time, don't get caught up in PP1 vs. PP2 - if a player is posting over a point per game 20 games in, then he's going to be used on the power play. Always.